Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Crashed , damaged servo

Old 09-12-2021, 05:58 AM
Larns

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crashed , damaged servo

I am totally new to RC planes , I bought an Ares 370v2 did some training on a sim but once I took it out I had an issue with keeping it stable . It went up vertically and then ended up crashing . I tested it , but now the controls don’t work properly . I bought a new micro controller the same model as the one I found inside , is it called a servo ? Would this part need to be programmed ? I tried plugging it in but nothing happened.

how could I get this part to work ? Or is it not worth to repair now ?

thanks
The following users liked this post:
Johnaa (12-08-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 09:19 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Larns
I am totally new to RC planes , I bought an Ares 370v2 did some training on a sim but once I took it out I had an issue with keeping it stable . It went up vertically and then ended up crashing . I tested it , but now the controls don’t work properly . I bought a new micro controller the same model as the one I found inside , is it called a servo ? Would this part need to be programmed ? I tried plugging it in but nothing happened.

how could I get this part to work ? Or is it not worth to repair now ?

thanks
Wow, let's see, , , where to start......

Ok, so first off, your airplane "stalled" , which is why it crashed. "Stalled" in this case don't mean the motor quit, it means the wing's "angle of attack" was so great that no air could flow over both sides of the wing to produce lift. No lift = crashed plane. When your plane began to be aiming too nose high I'll bet you made the classic newbie mistake and held full up elevator VS putting the elevator DOWN to bring the nose back down to level and get air flowing over the wings.

This brings us to proper training. If your truly serious about this hobby and don't want your beginnings to be a series of crashed airplanes, the best move you could make is to join a local RC flying club and have them teach you. The club's instructors will train you to not make the 4 or 5 classic newbie mistakes that end up driving a lot of attempted self taught RC pilots out of the hobby in frustration. Sure, a SIM is great practice, but as you've found real life RC flying is a bit more difficult than the SIM is, which is why I recommend learning from a real life instructor.

Now, if I understand your post correctly, it's the receiver you replaced when you speak of a "micro controller" ? If so, anytime you use a new receiver you need to "bind" that receiver to the transmitter, do a search for "Binding an RC receiver" for info on it.

Lastly, if your 100% determined to not take instruction from a real life person VS a sim, my best advice would be to scrap what you have now and look into one of Horizon Hobby's trainers with "SAFE" technology. It's kinda sorta almost like an autopilot that can (sometimes) save you from mistakes like stalling the airplane, it's in no way any kind of good substitute for an actual instructor, but it's light years ahead of what your trying to fly now.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:18 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

It looks like the Ares is out of production, or at least no longer sold here in the States. Their web site has been taken down. So you have an orphan. The manual doesn't give much to go on for repairing it.

Did your new "micro controller" look like this:

Or like this:?

If the first - it is more generically called a "Receiver" (although it may do more than just receive signals from your transmitter). I could find no specific instructions on-line about how to "bind" it to your transmitter. Try: Install it in the plane just like the old one was. TAKE OFF THE PROPELLOR for safety! Turn on the transmitter first. Hold down the small black button on the receiver. Apply power to the plane while continuing to hold the button. After several seconds, release the button and unplug the plane. Turn the plane back on, and see if you have any control. Try a couple of times, as it can be difficult to do, before giving up. The manual says the system is compatible with the HITEC brand. You may want to do a search on how to bind a HITEC receiver to a HITEC radio, and see if that works.

If it is the second picture, that is called a "Servo". It just plugs into the receiver shown above. But, it only works one way - the socket on it going across one three row set of pins on the receiver. If the black wire is on the inside, and it does not work, reverse the plug so that it is on the outside. If you are lucky, the receiver has little "+" or "-" symbols (and maybe one other) next to the pins. The black wire of the servo should go to the "-" pin.

Init4fun gave the best advice - get a Horizon Hobby trainer and a club instructor.

Last edited by tedsander; 09-12-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:34 AM
Larns

It's the first one, sorry yes it's the control board, sorry I'm not familiar with electronics so much.

I will try what you said, maybe I will contact the shop that I bought it from if it doens't work

thanks for both replies, very helpful
Old 09-13-2021, 01:23 AM
Larns

The receiver is actually R8EF, it's not the same as the one in the pic, I meant to say it's that type of device where the cables connect to each channel.

what does it mean if the transmitter starts beeping constantly, it's a T8FB , I should look out the manual (a red and green led light shows on it)
Old 09-13-2021, 01:38 AM
Larns

I have it working now! I found a diagram showing how to connect the cables to the right channels. i think the transmitter is beeping becuase of low battery.

thanks for all your help. I will take it out again and try to be more gentle on the elevator

Old 09-13-2021, 05:21 AM
tedsander

First, when everything is turned on, make sure all control surfaces are in line! Meaning, the elevator from a side view is dead on straight to the rest of the horizontal stabilizer, the rudder is not a bit left/right, and the ailerons are not a bit up or down. Balance the plane as in the manual. Make marks on the wings for the balance point, and put your fingers on them. The plane should stay level, or just slightly want to drop it's nose. Dropping the tail is very bad.
Are you taking off from the ground, or hand launching it? Hand launches should be smooth and level. Usually without much force behind them, if the motor is already running. It's easy to launch wrong in the beginning, and then getting the behavior you described. Find a field with tall grass, and with the motor off practice throwing it, so that you get a level glide into the grass.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:39 AM
Larns

I want to take off from the ground so it feels more realistic and I think it will be easier.

I have done some trimming to get everything looking straight , but I guess I won’t know how level it will fly until it’s in the air with the transmitter controls at neutral ?

I think I will film my next flight and you can give me some feedback

Old 09-13-2021, 08:11 PM
tedsander

Do the glide test, with the motor off, but everything else on, several/many times first. Launch it so it will go straight ahead. Look for any strong climb, or bank of the wings, before it glides into the grass. Repeat several times to confirm that it really is the plane, and not just a poor toss. Use your trim levers to make small adjustments until you get it doing a nice level glide.
Then try your take off with power. When in the air, use the trims to fine tune out any further tendencies to climb/dive or roll.