Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Gyro selection

Old 12-07-2021, 06:31 PM
David Shaffer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Gyro selection

Hello! I have been working on a Top Flite Cessna 182 Gold Edition kit for quite a while. I hope to finish it this winter. A friend recommended that I get a gyro and install it in the plane. Iím not real familiar with the gyros that are available. I fly with Futaba radio gear. What gyro would anyone out there recommend that I get to put in my plane? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

David
Old 12-08-2021, 01:03 AM
modtron

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I would suggest you take a look at the Futaba GYA553 - 4 selectable modes of operation, including a RESCUE mode.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 12-08-2021, 02:12 AM
David Shaffer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks

Originally Posted by David Shaffer View Post
Hello! I have been working on a Top Flite Cessna 182 Gold Edition kit for quite a while. I hope to finish it this winter. A friend recommended that I get a gyro and install it in the plane. Iím not real familiar with the gyros that are available. I fly with Futaba radio gear. What gyro would anyone out there recommend that I get to put in my plane? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

David
Thanks! I will check it out!
Old 12-08-2021, 04:42 AM
rgburrill

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by modtron View Post
I would suggest you take a look at the Futaba GYA553 - 4 selectable modes of operation, including a RESCUE mode.

modtron
Oxford UK
From Futaba's page $180, Requires 10 channel receiver Requires SBus. Lot's of money. I've got three different flight controllers from Hobby King that the sum of prices don't even total to $180. All work with 8 channel receivers and S/I bus is not required, although can be used if desired.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:32 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 162 Likes on 130 Posts

IGyro, Demon Cortex, Aura are the most popular

I have flown several of those and unless you're flying somewhere its constantly windy I'm not sure I'd bother with a gyro
Old 12-09-2021, 01:41 AM
modtron

From Futaba's page $180, Requires 10 channel receiver Requires SBus. Lot's of money. I've got three different flight controllers from Hobby King that the sum of prices don't even total to $180. All work with 8 channel receivers and S/I bus is not required, although can be used if desired.
A great reply from someone that does not fully understand how S-Bus can be used.

Yes it uses S-Bus and all current Futaba receivers have this - so why is this "Lots of money" ?
Without knowing exactly which transmitter the person has, we can only "assume" that it is a current system, i.e. 14SG upwards.
All of these can easily operate this gyro with very little effort.
It's obviously much easier with the newer 16iZ & 32MZ, as they Gyro programming can be done from the transmitter menu.

If you want to use the full potential of the gyro, yes it could take 10 channels and that is the glory of S-Bus - you can re-map your system how you want it to work.

I use a 7003SB receiver with my throttle from ch 1.
I then re-map all of the channels to work from ch 2 onwards vis the S-Bus.
The gyro get told where to find these channels and you then have 11 channels working from a 3 ch receiver.
What is difficult about that ?

In the UK, the Gyro & Cortex are far more expensive that the GYA553.

As to the use of a gyro, a lot of people are happy to have them for peace of mind in the background and the RESCUE mode can be useful for beginners.

modtron
Oxford UK

Last edited by modtron; 12-09-2021 at 01:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2021, 06:31 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Why don't you just give it up? Futaba is SO FAR BEHIND THE POWER CURVE, IT"S NOT WORTH DISCUSSING ANYMORE.......
Old 12-10-2021, 03:46 AM
modtron

If that's what you want to believe, then I am very happy for you.

modtron
Oxford UK

Last edited by modtron; 12-10-2021 at 03:47 AM. Reason: grammer