Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

18SZ and Telemetry questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 04:20 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts
Default 18SZ and Telemetry questions...

Late last year, I tried using telemetry for the first time, using the SBS-01TAS Airspeed sensor. I had it set up so I could hit a trim button, and it would start reading out speeds (mph). Seemed to be working properly. I should also add that I'm using dual receivers (7008 I think), so I used a Y harness to plug into the SBUS port. The other Y end goes to a power distribution and dual receiver box (Advanced Radio RSS box for 26 channels.)

Now, I wanted to see about adding additional telemetry to cover the startup of my turbine, from my transmitter. I wanted to have a "startup telemetry page" that would read out rpm, temperature, and maybe current. This would allow my model to be further along with adding all the hatches and stuff before flight. There are a couple Youtube vids on how to do this using Swiwin turbine and Futaba, so I tried this out. And I was able to get the proper screen I needed - so pretty much happy there. BUT, I noticed it got rid of the airspeed sensor telemetry.

I should also mention that to be able to feed this data to the receiver, I had to make a "3 way harness", that is, the single harness end plugs into the receiver, then the 3 outputs would be for 1- going to the RSS box, 2- going to the airspeed sensor, and 3-going to the turbine ECU.

Do you know if I can get both telemetry items to work together? It seems one has to register the Airspeed sensor by plugging into the back of the Tx, but I have not been able to get both to work. Also, is the correct way of doing this (multiple sensors) by using the 3 way harness? (or multiple output, depending on how many one needs)? I may have asked you this in a previous posting).

I haven't let out any smoke yet, so atleast that's a good sign.

Enclosed are a couple screen shots of the Tx display.

Airspeed sensor after registering.

Sensors available for turbine after using the reload function. There is a single lead that goes from the turbine ECU to the primary receiver, using the 3 way harness.

This is pretty much what I wanted for screen startup. Unfortunately it knocks off the airspeed sensor...
Old 03-16-2022, 05:28 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Oops - I'd meant to post this in the Futaba forum, but did not go deep enough. I've copied it to the Futaba forum so if you are a moderator, feel free to delete this thread from this General RC Radios forum. thanks!