Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FrSky X9D Taranis Receiver Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 06:34 AM
watersteps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FrSky X9D Taranis Receiver Question

I am looking at buying a X9D Taranis that comes with the R-XSR receiver. I do not understand how I can plug my 7 or 8 servo plugs into this little thing. Do I need to buy another Receiver with 8 ports in it??? I have been reading the transmitter and receiver manuals and I cannot figure it out.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:34 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

These tiny receivers are usually used in conjunction with flight controllers for multirotors using the SBUS connector on it. You can buy a converter that allows one to plug in conventional servos (https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-sbus-decoder.html)
Originally the idea was one wire, daisy chaining servo-to-servo-to-servo. While there are a few such servos available, the idea really never took off. But the use for multirotors kept the demand up for production of the receivers.
Just easier to buy an 8 channel receiver.
BUT - if you buy a receiver capable of redundancy, you can use this as a second receiver via the SBUS wire to enable it to take control if the main receiver has issues "hearing" the transmitter. So all is not lost....
Old 03-17-2022, 11:10 AM
tedsander

BTW - see my post (#2) for a bit more about choosing an Frsky receiver in this thread: Reciever question

IF your Taranis says "ACCESS" on the front, then you can also buy their newer ACCESS receivers. Otherwise stick with the "ACCST" ones I talked about in the thread. And pay attention to the potential issues with which version of ACCST I also noted....but at least having the transmitter, you will find it easy to make sure everything is in synch, and it is easy to update the transmitter to the preferred version.

And there are lots of other uses for the SBUS connector, such as control of gyros, additional telemetry gadgets, etc. It's just not the big deal for servos that the original scheme started with.

Last edited by tedsander; 03-17-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:45 PM
watersteps

Thanks a lot tedsander , I found a couple FrSky Taranis X9D Plus 2019 ACCESS 2.4G 24CH units look good to me. Some have a roller on the right side of the screen instead of 3 buttons are they better?
Old 03-17-2022, 12:51 PM
watersteps

OH by the way, I will be fling the Align Trex 600n, the Thunder Tiger Raptor 50 and a 50 size bell 47 nitro that I am building from scratch.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:18 PM
tedsander

Originally Posted by watersteps
Thanks a lot tedsander , I found a couple FrSky Taranis X9D Plus 2019 ACCESS 2.4G 24CH units look good to me. Some have a roller on the right side of the screen instead of 3 buttons are they better?
The ones with the roller are the most recent versions. There are actually 2 types, the standard, and the "SE" (Special Edition). The SE comes with better gimbals, although the standard aren't bad either. Me? I'd spend the few extra and order from Aloft Hobbies that I linked to in my first reply. They stand behind everything 100%, and provide really fast service. Cheap repair rates too. But you take your chances a bit more buying from others (including Frsky themselves!)
Old 03-18-2022, 09:04 AM
watersteps

OK I bought this from a friend, never used only out of box to take picture. FrSky Taranis X9DPSE2019 Access Accst D16. Now I have to find a R-XSR rec I need 7 channels for the TRex so I may as well hunt for an 8 channel receiver.
Old 03-18-2022, 12:19 PM
tedsander

OK I bought this from a friend, never used only out of box to take picture. FrSky Taranis X9DPSE2019 Access Accst D16. Now I have to find a R-XSR rec I need 7 channels for the TRex so I may as well hunt for an 8 channel receiver.
Not sure what you mean by "have to find an R-XSR" if you don't have it already. Sounds like you have no need for it, unless you want to get into multirotors.
I'd say either the older Frsky X8R or the newer R8 Pro would fit the bill for the TRex. Stay away from the RX8R Pro unless you are sure the rest of the system will always provide more than 6 v to it. It can "brown out" at lower voltages. The ones with built in altimeters might be fun, but kinda lost on a chopper. And I wouldn't even consider the stablized ones, those are for planes.
Aloft Hobbies also carries an excellent manual for the radio, Just get it - even though I've had years using the radios, I still refer to it periodically..
Old 03-18-2022, 01:03 PM
watersteps

Got It thanks again
Old 03-19-2022, 04:46 AM
Txmustangflyer

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-rx8r-pro.html

for a heli, this is what I would go with. 2.4 ghz has issues with Carbon fiber..

That reciever was desogned with heli's and quadcopters in mind and tries to alleviate some of that issue.
A heads up. Aloft is also a dealer and service point for frsky transmitters and recievers. They carry the full line and are super helpful if you run into a snag.
Old 03-19-2022, 06:12 AM
tedsander

Originally Posted by Txmustangflyer
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-rx8r-pro.html

for a heli, this is what I would go with. 2.4 ghz has issues with Carbon fiber..

That reciever was desogned with heli's and quadcopters in mind and tries to alleviate some of that issue.
A heads up. Aloft is also a dealer and service point for frsky transmitters and recievers. They carry the full line and are super helpful if you run into a snag.
Have used since they first came out. This is the first I have ever heard about a claim they are better for carbon fiber. Introduced to better filter out ignition noise from gas engines. The Aloft item linked notes using redundancy (a second in line receiver) to combat CF issues, but does not claim that the receiver itself is better. They were among the first receivers Frsky introduced to be capable of redundancy.
Also note the Aloft warning about issues with voltages below 6. Mine have been solid using 2s LiFe batteries, but I am replacing with the R8 Pro (also has noise rejection and redundancy) this year, just in case....and it is $5 cheaper, too!
Going with the R8 Pro means using the radios ACCESS protocol, which sidesteps completely needing to fuss with the whole "am I on the V1 or V2 flavor of ACCST" brouhaha.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:31 PM
watersteps

OK guys, I ordered the X8R 8 channel rec. Now, I received the Taranis today and it looks great. need a battery and a Micro SD card.
The battery needs a PH2.54-XH-3Y connector on a 2S Li-ion or 2S LiPo. Give me an idea where to buy the battery with that connector. I have some new 11.1 LiPo 2200mah batteries, will the Taranis handle this or should I stay with 7.4 Li-Po. As for the SD card what size do I need. Again I fly simple hovering and flying no 3D. I am ordering the RC book from Aloft.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:26 PM
Txmustangflyer

Aloft hobbies, stick with whats recommended. You'll find they have batteries already set up for it.

Make sure both transmitter and reciever are up to date on their firmware.

Aloft also has a forum, If you need help on it, go there, Wayne, Chris, and the rest of Wayne's crew will get you sorted. Need service or repair to it or the x8r, Aloft is an official frsky dealer and service point. If you ask something they don't know, they will find out.
There's also a good thread on flyinggiants on frsky OS's.
That will get you started.
If, for some reason, you don't find what you need there, send a pm to Chris, and he'll set up a battery for you and send it, but they should stock one thats tx ready off the shelf. Reciever can handle any 2s up to 8.4v same as a HV servo. Do not use a 3s direct without a voltage regulator. 2s power to reciever only.

I know the archer recievers use xt-30 battery connections. Not sure on the x8r but from photos, it looks like a JR/Futaba. Ypu can also power the rx off of a y splitter to channel 8 (I think) or direct if you don't need the channel for a servo.

tx batteries: https://alofthobbies.com/power/batteries/transmitter-packs.html

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 03-21-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:53 PM
tedsander

Odd that you didn't get either with the radio. Any 2s LiPo should work. Some may or may not fit. The connector is a standard "balance" plug that most batteries come with. As Txmustangflyer noted, Aloft will not steer you wrong.
Any SMALL microSD card will work - but see if you can find one 32 gig or much less, which can be hard these days. The total space needed is only about 20mb, so even a 1 gig card will be mostly empty. The radio only uses the card for sound and picture files (and a few other items). The models themselves are stored in memory all the time. Many reports of various Frsky models having issues with cards that have too much capacity. No need for ultra high speed, either. One can run the radio and fly without a card - but no pictures, sound, "create a model" helper app. or saving telemetry logs. Aloft sells the smaller cards preloaded with all the files, if you want. Call first, so they can match the version of software on your radio (they'll help you find that out).
The X8R receiver can handle anything from 4 to 10 volts, so the flight battery is not critical. Power from modern ESC's (which step down the 3/4/6S voltages) are all fine, as are Nicads, NiMH, 2S LiFe, and 2s LiPo (direct).
With that receiver, you will get built in telemetry for signal strength (RSSI) and for basic voltage seen by the receiver. But no fancy individual battery cells or total mah consumption. Those, and others, are add on sensors.
As noted, standard JR/Futaba connectors for the receiver. If using all 8 channels, you will need one with a Y to connect both the servo and to serve as a battery connection.
If you're shopping - a better "balance bar" for your neck strap, and an add on fold up stand for the back are nice additions, but not critical. Guess who sells those too?

Old 03-22-2022, 05:10 AM
watersteps

Once again THANK YOU for your help, I will call Aloft shortly. watersteps
Old 03-22-2022, 08:36 AM
Txmustangflyer

Once again THANK YOU for your help, I will call Aloft shortly. watersteps
Be better to forum post/email. Phones are a catch as they fly by. You'll get a pretty quick response in the forums.
Title thread by name. In this case, Chris or Wayne

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 03-22-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:48 AM
watersteps

Chris already got back to me, thanks.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:58 AM
Txmustangflyer

Good deal!

He'll set you straight.

Tell him don't forget the candy ;-)
Old 03-23-2022, 10:54 AM
Txmustangflyer

If someone has one where you fly, look at an x20s
Old 03-23-2022, 01:31 PM
watersteps

I fly in my field behind my house and barn. I don't know anyone who does fly. I live in Roulette Pa 16746 what is an x20s?
Old 03-23-2022, 02:16 PM
Txmustangflyer

The x20s is frsky's most recent "flagship" transmitter. Runs their new OS named Ethos, and as they update, they've added much of the ability of open tx to it, with more to come. The x20s Tandem, as they call it, uses two different signals. 2.4 ghz, as you are used to, and 900 mhz as a redundant signal back up. The archer recievers are capable if switching back and forth seamlessly.

Programming and setup, imo is as easy as using my phone. Point and click. With mixes and logic switches you can have way more than most of us would ever need, The R10pro and SR10 pro recievers have dual battery capability with dedicated xt30 plugs x2, s bus and s port,
the SR being stabilized with similar capability to SAFE...very similar. If you use opentx already, Ethos will be a breeze. Transmitter pack is in radio, in the box, simple usb cord charging. Color touch screen, easy to read.

I have the x20 (not the s) and can program a total of 36 "channels" (servos, mixes, logic switches)

The only bug they had, fixed in a recent update, was the clock ran fast running down the small battery that powers it when the transmitter was off. All the rest of the updates, since release was to bring back scripts, etc. Soon to be updatable via an app, in the works.

https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-tandem-x20s.html

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 03-23-2022 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 02:45 PM
watersteps

Thanks for the info but that is way more then I would need.
Old 03-26-2022, 03:13 PM
watersteps

OK I think I went over board on buying this X9D+. All I wanted was to have a good radio that had the 2.4ghz system that I could use with my new to me Trex 600 and maybe an old Thunder Tiger Raptor 50. I just want to hoover and fly around my own yard and field. This radio I think will do the trick but I have been reading my new book from aloft for a while now . I cannot even figure out how to charge the 2s lipo I just received. I would trade all this new stuff for a plain futaba with 2.4 ghz and an 8 channel rec.
Old 03-26-2022, 03:20 PM
Txmustangflyer

You need a charger.

I assumed you had one lol.

Just need a basic all in one with balance leads. LHS should have them and it will charge the batteries for the trex and the raptor as well. Just make sure you leave with the right adapters for it. Cost 20 yo 40 bucks, but its another one of those "you won't replace it unless it quits" items. A good charger is always better than what ships from an rc aircraft manufacturer.
Quick charge while flying, but after last flight, full balance charge, or if you aren't going to be flying for a couple of weeks, it can put them at storage voltage.

Most modern chargers will charge nNiCad, LiPo, and LiFe batteries. I imagine if you have older aircraft, you might still be using NiCad to power them.

Heres what I use. Its basic, simple etc. I added a balance board so to make it simpler. https://alofthobbies.com/hitec-rdx1-mini-ac-balance-chargerdischarger.html

Gives you a basic idea on what to look for. Besides that, a 2s balance lead, as well as the leads for your aircraft batteries.

also, the radio might have a micro usb or usb type c, like your phone.

check the manual, and see if the radio can charge it via the port.

Not sure who you got for a local hobby shop nearby, but they will have something kinda like the charger above, and probably cheaper.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 03-26-2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2022, 03:34 PM
watersteps

I have a charger and I can figure that out but the radio is way above my skills. I believe I will just hunt regular radio and sell this FrSky Taranis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.