Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

May get back into RC after long absence and have questions

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

May get back into RC after long absence and have questions

Old 08-02-2022, 05:01 AM
karolh

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Well said Andy and very good all around advice. Love your second to last comment 😉

Last edited by karolh; 08-02-2022 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:07 AM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Andy said makes total sense. Right now I have models from .25 up to a couple 1.20 and engines for each of them. The largest engine I have is a Saito 1..80 that is mounted onto a Seagull Superstar; whish is nearly done.

There was a hobby store about 35 miles away that I was frequently in the area and could pick up a gallon or two of nitro. Now that store is closed and the nearest one is a little over 100 miles away and I hardly go that far. I remember when I was stationed in Japan. There were a bunch of us that flew R/C on base. We would all chip in and buy a 50 gallon drum of nitro and have it delivered to the base. We would then show up with our gallon jugs and dispense what you chipped in to buy. Good times.

I never did mind the clean up from the nitro. If there was a close place to get it I would use it instead of buying a couple electrics to get back into the hobby.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:16 AM
AndyKunz

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Is that Guy's that closed?

Andy
Old 08-02-2022, 04:01 PM
Salty25

Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Andy
Don't remember the name of the shop. I remember it was owned by a couple and the guy died. The wife ran it herself for a while. I heard she finally gave up on it and closed the business.

Edit: Just looked up Guys. That is a shop here in town. They sell models not R/C. I think most of their business is money transfers to family members overseas.

Last edited by Salty25; 08-02-2022 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:44 AM
SOPHIAFLYGIRL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Army Retired View Post
My short history of RC...got a Nimbus 2-channel radio back in the late 70's when I was a youngster as a step up from control line. Flew a basic sail plane but quickly reached the end of that radio's usefulness. In college in the mid 80's I got my first proper Futaba 4-channel radio and flew a few trainers and then some more advanced models, but nothing fancy. Couldn't afford to do much more than that and eventually stopped. Quit college and went active duty Army in the late 80's. Got a new 6-channel radio and crashed a Top Flite Zero on its first flight. I replaced that plane with a .60 sized OS Max piped pattern plane. That rocket ship was awesome and I got some great flights out of it before a radio issue took it down. Got my pilots license in 2002 so didn't even think of RC for a while. Sold my full scale plane in 2006 so I could afford to go back active duty Army. Didn't do anything RC related until about 2010 and tried an RC Helicopter. That was a short disaster and that's the end of my RC history.

I'm retired from the Army now and have time I need to constructively fill...and a few extra bucks. I'd love to get another real airplane, preferably a kit. Realistically though I don't have enough money in retirement to be able to afford to either build it or fly it. Thus, my renewed interest in RC.

I've always wanted to build and fly a large-ish scale F3F or F4F. I love how the landing gear works. I've been looking at radios but my knowledge is all out of date by decades. JR and Futaba used to be king of the hill but now JR is dead? I could only afford basic gear in the past. When looking at radios I don't even recognize most of the names. It also looks like you need to shop ala carte...receivers, servos and even batteries are separate. I don't even know where to start.
I'm in a similar situation, been out of RC flying since 2017, a tad bit fewer years but kept my old radios. I have several engines that have never seen fuel, NIB. I also fly fly full scale but haven't been in the cockpit since 2005. Getting back in to both full scale and RC flying.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:18 PM
Salty25

Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Andy
I went by Guy's a couple days ago. I haven't been there in a few years so figured to check it out. He mainly has static models; a few spinners and a bunch of NiCad battery packs. I didn't even see any glue on the shelves.

Old 08-06-2022, 04:41 PM
AndyKunz

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

That's pretty lame.

I guess it was worth a shot at least.

Andy