Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9z problem

Old 07-02-2022, 02:02 AM
Buzzard Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9z problem

So a number of years ago, I spent a "boat-load" of money on a 9z transmitter, assuming I'd never have to buy anything different. And like a fossil, I'm still using it (on 72mhz).
Suddenly the right stick comes loose into my hands. Seems the holder the stick presses into is cracked (see pic).

Is this something that can be fixed? Are there parts for such a thing? Can I repair it on my own, or is this major to dismantle that?

Some kind of glue is not a good idea, but could be a last resort.....
Thanks, for any help,
Dave

Old 07-02-2022, 09:30 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

yes gimble/stick assemblies can be replaced.
the hard part will be finding a direct replacement.
and, glue is probably not a good, or successful idea.

if futaba service can't or does not want to work on it, then try radio south, tony stillman's business.
The following users liked this post:
jescardin (07-13-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 09:34 AM
2W0EPI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are alot of things I regret buying, from the past.The dilemma you face is, 'is it worthwhile taking this system forward and perhaps having to spend money on it to keep it going?'

I've just purchase a futaba 6l system and it is brilliant and they go for as little as £65 new.
jescardin (07-13-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 11:30 AM
Buzzard Dave

Thanks guys, yeah, i've sent a note to Tony Stillman, will let you all know what I hear.

but as 2woepi states, I may have to think twice about putting more money into this system. Might have to finally get rid of it..... :+(

thanks, Dave
Old 07-02-2022, 11:46 AM
2W0EPI

Originally Posted by Buzzard Dave View Post
but as 2woepi states, I may have t think twice
If the frequency was 2.4GHz, then I would argue, fix it, but 72MHz forget it. New advanced modulation techniques and massive bandwidth available at 2.4GHz + mcu control. low cost .Total game changer.

Last edited by 2W0EPI; 07-02-2022 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:45 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzzard Dave View Post
Thanks guys, yeah, i've sent a note to Tony Stillman, will let you all know what I hear.

but as 2woepi states, I may have to think twice about putting more money into this system. Might have to finally get rid of it..... :+(

thanks, Dave
Speaking as one who removed the backplate to his 9Z WCII in order to replace the memory battery; taking a 9Z apart and getting it back together is NOT a project for the faint of heart.

If Tony does not want, or cannot fixe the old girl, it's time for a totally new 2.4GHz system.
jescardin (07-13-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 02:41 PM
2W0EPI

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
it's time for a totally new 2.4GHz system.
Yep, but which one?. radio;s can run from £50 to £1500, also I notice Spectrum's don't come with the active receiver making them more expensive.I'm balled over with my futaba 6l for just £70 (with 6 channel receiver).
Old 07-04-2022, 02:55 PM
Zeeb

New price doesn't have a lot to do with value anymore.

You have several options; Futaba will be the most expensive, Spektrum will have by far the most options available with RTF and BNF models and literally dozens of rx's, that's why you do not get an rx with the tx except for the most expensive models. JR was out of the game for awhile and is now back but I have no experience with all their new stuff. Open source will be cheaper in most instances but there's virtually no support and you'll find your hands full learning to program that stuff but it is the cheapest in most cases.

All the options have their pluses and minuses' but I think you'd be ill served to pick one based solely on price. It's a whole new world out there since you played with RC "Toys" and there's lots to learn. Spektrum, will have by far the most options in both radio stuff and the models. Their CS is among the best you'll find even though you'll find complainers on the forums. NOBODY has the number of RTF or BNF models you'll find at Spektrum and Eflite.

Best suggesting I think, is to find out what kind of equipment the guys at your local clubs use as you WILL need help going forward for awhile. Also, you should be able to get a chance to hold a number of different tx's. This is very important; some tx's will fit your hands like gloves, others will feel like you're holding a couple of overweight bricks with switches you cannot reach.

Good luck.......
Old 07-06-2022, 12:26 PM
2W0EPI

New price doesn't have a lot to do with value anymore.

You have several options; Futaba will be the most expensive, Spektrum will have by far the most options available with RTF and BNF models and literally dozens of rx's, that's why you do not get an rx with the tx except for the most expensive models.
Yeah, competition is compelling, I've actually skimmed up some budget Spektrum models...OrangeRx Tx10i Mode 2 EU Version 10ch 2.4GHz DSMX Compatible Radio System

for £100, not bad,I notice it sports 10 channels and it has a lcd screen, obviously fully digitized, if it works, that is a very good price point. Yep indeed.

Cheers
Darren

Old 07-09-2022, 07:50 AM
Buzzard Dave

Hey guys, Tony S says it can be fixed, the part about $3 and labor about $50. it's exhibiting additional probs now though, the plastic covers over the buttons are all cracking. As @Zeeb above says, it's probably time to replace the "old girl". I've looked at the things you all are suggesting, (and only starting my search)....but I'm leaning toward a Radiomaster TX16X mk II. Looks like a lot of features for not a bad price....

thanks,
David in Port Charlotte
Old 07-09-2022, 01:09 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sent you a Private Message about the 9Z.
Advise and thanks.
Dick T.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:12 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2W0EPI View Post
There are alot of things I regret buying, from the past.The dilemma you face is, 'is it worthwhile taking this system forward and perhaps having to spend money on it to keep it going?'

I've just purchase a futaba 6l system and it is brilliant and they go for as little as £65 new.
Are you comparing the 6L (current simplest Futaba airplane radio) with Dave´s 9Z (1992 top of the line radio)?

I am afraid the only common point is the brand.... sticks quality, manufacturing materials and not to mention 9Z is a fully programmable radio make them totally different animals!

If Dave would like to stay with Futaba -after all its 9Z has lasted for nearly 30 years!-, current top of the line is the ridiculous pricey 32MZ but he has a lot of more affordable options, perhaps the most attractive should be the 16iZ but, as Zeeb comments there are a lot of alternatives on the market today......
Old 07-13-2022, 11:14 AM
2W0EPI

Originally Posted by jescardin View Post
Are you comparing the 6L (current simplest Futaba airplane radio) with Dave´s 9Z (1992 top of the line radio)?
Well Dave's 9Z is 30 years old and electronic technology has come along way in that time. The first change is the frequency 2.4GHz and the modulation schemes, later on, in the thread, Dave explains that the plastic has started to decay. I realize that the 9Z Futaba back in 1992 was top of the range then, I was merely pointing out that Futaba's 6l most basic model operates on 2.4GHz band, which is a fact.All con temporally radio's use 2.4GHz now.

Last edited by 2W0EPI; 07-13-2022 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:40 PM
Oldsalt1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default more transmitter info

Originally Posted by 2W0EPI View Post
Well Dave's 9Z is 30 years old and electronic technology has come along way in that time. The first change is the frequency 2.4GHz and the modulation schemes, later on, in the thread, Dave explains that the plastic has started to decay. I realize that the 9Z Futaba back in 1992 was top of the range then, I was merely pointing out that Futaba's 6l most basic model operates on 2.4GHz band, which is a fact.All con temporally radio's use 2.4GHz now.
I have a 9Z collecting dust in my garage. I had found a 2.4 cartridge that mated up to it from HK (no longer available), but I purchased a 9C due to the simpler programming and that you could select either 72 or 2.4 depending on the cartridge you inserted in the back of the radio. I wore out two of those then went on to the 10C that was 2.4 FASST only. When they came out with the 14SGA I bought one of those due to it's compatibility to all of Futaba's 2.4 programs. If I was making the decision today and according to price I would have gone with the newer 16IZ. It, like the 14 is compatible with all the Futaba protocols, It also uses a touch pad for programming rather than the scrolling wheel on the 14. I have NEVER had a plane crash in the last 20 years caused by a Futaba radio problem. If money is tight, you may find a RC hoarder like me that is willing to part with a lightly used, low priced 2.4 radio and also get a deal on several receivers. If you lived near San Antonio, TX I would be willing for you to stop by and handle some of my radios and play with the programming to get a feel if Futaba would work for you. Several of my friends are also JR/Spectrum advocates and might be willing to do the same. Good luck in finding an AMA sanctioned field in your area. Like others have stated, seeing what is being used by others can give you a more reliable base line. (BTW, I only spent 27 years in the Navy, hence my handle.) Thanks for your service.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:05 PM
Zeeb

Only REAL downside to the 14SGA is the battery life issue; it's atrocious.......

That is the only thing I see people complain about online with a lot of the users having three tx batteries.
Old 07-30-2022, 01:37 AM
Buzzard Dave

Hey guys, so I no longer have the 9Z. I sold it to a member (in this discussion) who tinkers with the older systems. He's already replaced the button covers and fixed the gimbal and sent me pics of it "spruced up like new". I'm really glad there are some folks out there who can still put these older systems to good use.

Regarding replacement, I've decided on a Radiomaster TX16 with 4-in-1 module (which is about the most I would spend). Just doesn't make sense to me anymore to spend the kind of money I spent years ago on the Futaba 9Z. Of course when I bought that, I was flying a 1/3 scale cap and a large Ohio models Ultimate bipe. Now I'm flying things made of foam-board.

thanks all,
Dave
Old 07-30-2022, 02:13 PM
Oldsalt1

deleted

Last edited by Oldsalt1; 07-30-2022 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:17 PM
Oldsalt1

Only REAL downside to the 14SGA is the battery life issue; it's atrocious.......

That is the only thing I see people complain about online with a lot of the users having three tx batteries.
The NiMH battery that comes with it is of fairly low capacity but is easily replaced by a much higher capacity LiFE battery, which last for hours. I have a few of those, but two would be enough for a full weekends worth of flying.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:36 AM
SOPHIAFLYGIRL

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Futaba 9 CAP radio 72 mhz that still works like new. (fingers crossed) Not looking forward to spending 500 bucks on a new radio since I've had this one since 2002.