Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spectrum/Futaba question

Old 08-02-2022, 11:32 AM
Lionel773

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Spectrum/Futaba question

I've owned radio control sailboats in the past and always installed the same make of transmitter, receiver and servos as set. Picked up a very nice used R/C sailboat yesterday. The seller said it worked, as the person who he bought it from said it did, though the person I bought from never tried it. Boats interior looks like new, and the servos were in great shape no corrosion anywhere. Installed new batteries in the radio and receiver. MMM??? Nothing. The rudder and sail wench servos are both Futaba, then noticed the radio is a Spectrum DX5e. The Futaba receiver has a 68 or 89 crystal. Seller was sure it was the radio than came with the boat, again he never tested it. I take the Spectrum radio and Futaba receiver are not compatible seeing the receiver has a crystal. What is my best option here? Replace the receiver with a Spectrum receiver? I hope the plugs would be the same as I do not want to change out the Futaba sail servo. Best way to get a transmitter/receiver that will work with the Futaba servos. Thanks
Old 08-02-2022, 11:45 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

So the Futaba receiver is not compatible with the Spektrum radio.

A Futaba servo will work fine with any receiver brand
The following users liked this post:
Lionel773 (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 11:54 AM
Lionel773

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, if I pick up a Spectrum receiver, it should work with my Spectrum transmitter. I take I would have to 'Bind' if that is the correct word, the transmitter and receiver together.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:06 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

That is correct on both accounts.

The transmitter has a long serial number in the firmware that is unique.

You put the receiver into bind mode and then the transmitter and that forces the receiver to memorize that GUID or globally unique ID of the transmitter

Then no matter what packets it hears, if they don't start with that serial number it ignores them.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:28 PM
tedsander

Received 66 Likes on 63 Posts

And the only servo issue you may encounter is the color of the wires used. Just remember that black (futaba)=brown (spektrum) = negative when plugging them in. Except for wire color, the order of the pins is the same.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:59 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

The Spectrum DX5E is 2.4GHz; a channel 68 or 69 receiver is 75MHz (surface version of 72MHz). If you already have an older Futaba Attack surface radio you might be able find the correct crystal set for it. I used one for a while in Alabama. I have since changed to Turnigy because finding batteries for that transmitter because costly.

I don't know how far away you sail but 2.4GHz does not have the range of 75MHz.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:47 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
A Futaba servo will work fine with any receiver brand
Just remember that a Futaba servo has the little "blade" on the one side of the servo connector which must be removed to use the servo in another brand rx.