Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FrSKY RB-30+ and X20

Old 11-14-2022, 10:57 AM
dhl7000
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FrSKY RB-30+ and X20

Does anyone have any experience linking up the FrSKY RB-30+ powerbox with the X20 radio and ETHOS? The manual is indecipherable, at least top my read, and I cannot find anything on the web (such as instruction videos). Help!
Old 11-23-2022, 09:49 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm an OpenTX user but I would expect that you tell the transmitter to find new telemetry sensors.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:53 AM
dhl7000

Thanks, Tony. I was able to get it to work by making Pin10 Sbus Out and connecting to RX1 in, and Pin9 S.Port and connecting to RX1S.P. I now can access the RB-30 under Device Config and get appropriate responses from out channels, and the gyro is active.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:47 PM
Tony Hallo

I'm confused why you didn't connect the SBUS out on the receivers to the SBUS in on the RB30+ and connect the smart ports from the receivers to the smart port on the RB30+ as shown in the RB30+ manual.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:05 PM
dhl7000

I tried that and it didn't seem to work...
Old 11-24-2022, 05:11 AM
Tony Hallo

I assumed your problem was the telemetry but that may not be the case. I recently had a problem with a SR10 receiver with no output, it ended up that I put the receiver in self test without moving the sticks to complete the calibration. I would suggest disabling the stabilizer and get the radio system installed first then work with the stabilizer if you indeed plan to use it. Also note that channel 10 works differently in Quick mode and Conventional modes. That fact cost me a scratch built 30% Piper Cherokee on the maiden flight.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:50 PM
dhl7000

I really appreciate your help on this, Tony, because this system is going into a $5K jet. Here's the advice I got from "mawZ" on RCGroups"

IN general the procedure is:
1. Register and Bind your receiver(s)
2. Plug each receiver in use into the relevant Sbus and S.Port plugs
3. Power everything on and then go to Model->Telemetry and discover sensors. Check that the RB-30+ sensors are there.
4. Now you can do the setup from the Device Config menus. Note for the Gyro use the SxR calibration and SxR menus for setup

Make sure your ports are set correctly on the TD R10, Pin10 needs to be Sbus Out in this configuration.
Id suggest setting Pin9 to S.Port and wiring that into the RB-30+ RX1 S.P connector instead of the 4-pin header on the other end.

My response:
That seemed to do the trick! By making Pin10 Sbus Out and connecting to RX1 in, and Pin9 S.Port and connecting to RX1S.P., I now can access the RB-30 under Device Config and get appropriate responses from out channels, and the gyro is active.
It also looks like I can connect Pin10 to "RX3/SBUS OUT" and Pin9 to "S.PORT" and get the same response. Is one preferred over the other?
Thanks so much for your help!

This is what was NOT working:

Old 11-25-2022, 02:44 PM
Tony Hallo

Mawz is the man, knows his stuff. Not sure why I had it in my mind that you were using a SR10 receiver. I see now it is a TD. I'll stand by what I said about channel 10, my results are shown below. You can use two TDR6 receivers as redundant, plug them into RX2 and RX3 and joint the Smart port wires and plug into the RB30+. This would provide a triple double redundant setup. Probably overkill. Use RX1 as I am fairly certain it is the main receiver and SBUS signals from RX 2 and 3 are used during fail over. I would use two receivers as even though the TD is redundant, you still have a single point failure of the the SBUS connection
For years I used a single FrSky X8R receiver in each of my giant scale planes, once they offered a redundant setup I started using them. The cost is next to nothing in the scheme of things.

Last edited by Tony Hallo; 11-25-2022 at 03:00 PM.