Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
18+ Year RC Veteran- First Time Setting Up a Radiomaster TX16S! >

18+ Year RC Veteran- First Time Setting Up a Radiomaster TX16S!

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

18+ Year RC Veteran- First Time Setting Up a Radiomaster TX16S!

Old 09-03-2023, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 18+ Year RC Veteran- First Time Setting Up a Radiomaster TX16S!

Hi all! I used to be a regular on this forum until becoming consumed by adulthood. My specialty was always nitro off road, pretty simple stuff with a Futaba 3PM FASST being my most exotic TX. I recently bought myself several airplanes along with a TX16S, and woah does it open up a crazy amount of possibilities! Let me give you the rundown of what I have:

Aircraft:
1. Horizon Habu STS 70mm PNP "Trainer"
2. FMS SU-27 Dual 70mm
3. FMS J-11 Dual 70mm (These two are identical apart from liveries/ paint)

Now I know what you're thinking, this guy is trying to fly jets as a total rc aircraft noob? Yes! That's exactly right, except I don't intend to touch the FMS units until I'm 110% confident and have numerous hours on the Habu. I've put in a good 40 hours on the Sim with the Habu/ turbine jets and for all intents and purposes I'm an intermediate to expert sim pilot, real life will be a little different I'm sure

So lets get into the meat and potatoes, I need some help with a few things I still haven't found yet. With the Habu, I've done the following:

1. Aircraft model setup, assigned channels
2. I've mixed my nose wheel in with the rudder so they work in tandem (Have a question pertaining to this later)
3. Three flight modes on a 3 position switch for takeoff/ landing, "normal" operation, and "acrobatics" operation
4. Global Variables for weight and expo reflecting the action I want in each mode
5. Throttle cut
6. Dashboard/ telemetry with a timer, pack voltage, and channel % actuation monitor
7. Audio call outs for each flight mode/ throttle cut/ alarm
8.Throttle mix with "Slow up and slow down" to simulate turbine/ jet engine spooling up/ down (I hate the instant on/ off sound of EDFs- yes I know this is "dangerous" for a noob but I've been practicing with turbine aircraft in the sim and will only enable it after I get comfortable)

Here are my questions:

1. How can I have my nose gear set up so I can trim it independently of the rudder?
2. How can I better simulate a turbine idle? The EDF "starts" at a pretty high RPM, I've read forums about ESC soft start, and being able to simulate idle in the radio but I haven't found anything other than using the offset function on the throttle. This merely moves my starting position on the stick, but the EDFs minimum RPM still kicks in reasonable high from off to on. I haven't been able to find any details on the Habu ESC, hoping I can manage this from the TX?
3. This plane was PNP with a Spectrum battery plug. I cut that off on soldered a Deans connector now running an HRB 4S battery. I'm using a Flysky FS_iA10B, but my telemetry does not display battery voltage. What am I missing here? Is my configuration not capable of displaying this data?
4. When I get to programming my big jets with retracts, will the nose gear still steer when stowed when I'm flying? Or is it standard practice for that to power off when stowed? Just wondering for my flight modes since I currently programmed "Takeoff" mode in such a way to dampen the nose wheel motion to reduce the possibility of tipping the plane from steering violently at higher speeds.

Thank you so much to anyone that can steer my in the right direction. Not going to lie, the TX16S was a bit intimidating to get going with at first, but after truly understanding the capabilities I'm super happy I took the plunge- what a piece of kit! (Although I did have the dreaded Emergency Mode issue out of the box, I cleaned the main ribbon cable contacts and its been fine so far).
Old 09-03-2023, 05:17 PM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Buy something used by the majority of the locals in your club, you will need help . Do not be enticed by the cheapo open software tx's.........
Old 09-03-2023, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Buy something used by the majority of the locals in your club, you will need help . Do not be enticed by the cheapo open software tx's.........
Ive gotten this far.. I can already fly the Habu on this setup if I wanted to sans battery telemetry. For someone thats been here 19 years, Id expect a more useful comment. Thank you?
The following users liked this post:
xlr82v2 (09-24-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 05:05 AM

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

Create a new Input, that uses the Rud stick as a source.
Link that new Input to an unused channel in the Mixer
Plug your nose servo into that channel on your RX.

Dial the weight on the new Input down, to get the overall steering authority you would like.
Add a second line to the above new Mix entry, using as a source whatever knob/slider you want to be the trim. Set the weight to be low/very low so only small amounts are added/subtracted from the main control.
This allows trimming while driving the plane around the runway.
After some experimentation, you likely will never touch that trim again, so adjust the offset of the main line to produce the same amount of right/left trim, and delete the secondary trim line.
This gives you a 5th channel for steering that can be modified as desired (just like the others) for rates, expo, modes, etc.

As always, there are a minimum of at least three different ways to implement something on these radios. So you may get comments from others about it that seem very different. Do what makes sense to you, and keeps the setup as direct and understandable as you can.

Telemetry is the function of the receiver. Most non-Spektrum require a secondary add-on module, although some may have really basic bat voltage built in. See what Flysky has to say....
The following users liked this post:
xlr82v2 (09-24-2023)