Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba SBS-01G GPS Sensor issues.....

Old 10-05-2023, 04:56 PM
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Futaba SBS-01G GPS Sensor issues.....

Iím having no success in getting a Futaba SBS-01G GPS Sensor to work. Since I purchased it used on Ebay, it may be defective although the seller said it last worked in his glider. He has not responded to a message with questions about set up so that may be an indicator.

I have gone through the steps outlined in the Futaba 18MZ-WC manual to plug into the transmitter S0Bus programming port to load and register the Sensor. All goes well per Screen 1.

Using a R7008SB FASSTest receiver outside in a clear area, I get the proper transmitter/receiver telemetry link (Screen 2). Sensor blinks green but never acquires satellites. Also none of the other sensor data appears. I know some cannot unless the sensor is moving but even the temperature doesn't read above the 32*f baseline (Screen 3).

The sensor obviously dead since loading/registering picked up the ID number and I get the telemetry link showing in the transmitter, but no satellite connection.

Either the sensor is defective or I am missing something in the setup. This is the first time I have tried using a sensor other that built in Rx battery voltage.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Old 10-10-2023, 10:23 AM

I moved this Post here from the Futaba Direct Forum. With over 100 views most folks cannot reply there. Thought I may get some suggestions in the open forum. The original seller has responded to my questions. Still trying to determine if it is defective or this dopey-head is missing something in the setup.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:49 AM

Update: Received phone call from FutabaUSA Tech Support. My setup was correct but we walked through it again with same negative results.

Tech said the sensor will not produce any data from other built in channels (temperature, altitude, vario, etc.) until GPS connects with satellites. He presumed it was defective but suggested one final test. Set up outside for a minimum of 30 minutes. If no connection it is toast as it never connected.

New sensors are tested in China by connecting with satellites over there. The sensor stores the satellite locations internally, thus allowing a future 10-15 second connect time. When a new user powers up for the first time, the sensor is looking for the stored satellite array. Not finding it after 5-15 minutes, it begins searching for a new array, locates and stores it.

Knowing this, it will be interesting to see if similar issues occur with upcoming RID modules. Since most vendors supply piss poor instructions there will be tech support phones ringing off the wall!
Old 10-19-2023, 06:55 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 85 Likes on 75 Posts

my dronetag bs had sats in less than 5 min, but it comes from europe...
first time fire up.

forgot to ask, did yours find the sats and finish setting up properly after the extended time looking?

Last edited by mongo; 10-19-2023 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:32 AM

Actually it was outside blinking green for almost an hour. Never connected so it is defective.

Tried on two different radios, 18MZ-WC and 16IZ with same failed results. Sensor is not serviceable so pinned it on the shop wall as a reminder that technology is wonderful when it works, a PIA when it doesn't.

Ebay seller issued a refund and said toss it. Stand up guy. Could have told me to pound sand as his listing said as is, no returns.
Old 10-20-2023, 05:52 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 85 Likes on 75 Posts

good to hear that there are still a few good folk left in the world...