Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum AR12120 & powerbox evolution

Old 11-04-2023, 01:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spektrum AR12120 & powerbox evolution

I have a Spektrum AR12120 Rx & also a Powerbox evolution. My Tx is JR. So to get the required number of channels there is not much choice of Rx's available, hence the AR12120.
I want to use the Evolution, mainly as I have it & also it will help with signal strength on longer extension leads.
My question is, What is the best way to power up both items? Can I connect the lipo battery wires to the Evolution, leaving the AR12120 battery wires unconnected? Will the AR12120 Rx get power from the Evolution, as it would normally do with a normal Rx?
My aim is to just use the AR 12120 as a 12 channel receiver & not really as a powersafe Rx, as the Evolution should carry out that function.
Any suggestions welcome.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:26 AM

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Does the PowerBox support a serial input? If so, that would be the way to go. You can use one of our serial remote receivers (either SRXL2 or Remote Receiver Protocol, whichever your PowerBox supports) to get the data. Or, if it supports SRXL2, then you can use a much less expensive receiver and get the serial data with redundant remote receivers on the SRXL2 port (the base receiver pulls the data from all the remotes and forwards it on its SRXL2 port (channel 1)).

Andy
Old 11-08-2023, 09:23 AM

It is an older Powerbox. I found out that powering the Evolution does not send power to the AR12120. What I have done is, made up two heavy duty Y leads that sends power to both the AR12120 & the Evolution from the Rx lipos. This seems to solve the problem, as everything works.
I will now do some ground testing to check if this setup causes any rapid drain on the lipos.
I am trying to work with what I have if possible.
Old 11-10-2023, 12:44 AM

Had to abandon that plan when I realised that the AR12120 has no voltage regulation. This would mean that all the servos that did not go through the Evolution would get 7.4v unless I fitted a regulator to the RX.
As everything was getting very complicated, I removed the Evolution Powerbox & just used a Powerbox sensor switch with the RX. All servos now get 5.9v.