Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo voltages

Old 12-25-2023, 10:30 AM
Brian Nelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo voltages

I am back in RC flying after missing a few years and have a Spektrum DX7s Tx, in the manual of which there is a recommendation not to fly unless the voltage at the receiver is at least 5.3.
The battery pack I have is a 4-cell NiMH which barely reaches 5.3V at full charge. A friend has strongly urged me to change to a 2-cell LiFe pack which has a maximum voltage of 6.6 and I am concernrd about
possible damage to the Hitec servos which have a maximum voltage specification of 6V.
I would be very interested in any comments about this.
Festive season greetings to all.
Old 12-25-2023, 11:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

6V rated servos are really for a fully charged 5cell nicad, which is the same as Life so anything with a 6v rating can run those packs.

To satisfy the nit pickers, there's a few specialized servos that really don't want more than 6v but those are high-speed tail rotor servos for helicopters. The Hitec stuff is fine on 2S Life
Old 12-26-2023, 12:48 AM
Brian Nelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo voltages

Thank you sincerely, Barracudahockey. I am in South Africa, hence the apparent delay in acknowledging your assistance.
Best regards.