Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Charging Futaba TX at the field

Old 10-14-2003, 01:51 PM
flipstart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Futaba TX at the field

I have a Futaba 6XAS and would like to charge at the field. I have a Hi-Tec 340 charger that will charge NICD, 4-8 cells as low as 200MAH. But I read something about a diode and you could not charge with any charger other than the Futaba W-charger (50MA). What are the facts on charging your TX without any warranty problems. Flipstart
Old 10-14-2003, 02:02 PM
ooooo

Default RE: Charging Futaba TX at the field

Hi Flipstart,
I have the same radio that I bought last december. Flying with it all year.
The diode was removed so that I can cycle and fast charge by the LHS. Bad move. Don't.. I later learnt the hard way the warranty is voided and they would not even touch for repairs. Ok....having said that...here's the solution........remove the back cover of your 6XAS and solder a futaba or any connector that would suit your field charger to the wires of the battery. You can extend it outside of the back cover or leave it inside. Then you can discharge and quick charge your battery whenever you want with out going through the circuit board of the Tx. The Diode is there to prevent this....quick charging and discharging can ruin your Tx and or battery if not done correctly. Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:06 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Buy extra Tx batteries on Ebay. They're two for $17.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:30 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Hey Flip,

The part about charging using only a Futaba charger is incorrect. Don't worry about that. I like the idea about adding an additional connector, but if you don't want to do that, just remove the battery to charge it.

To field charge, you'll probably want to fast charge it so you can get out flying again quickly. I imagine your battery is probably a 500-700mah battery, so you could charge it at that rate (500-700mah) at the field and be safe.

The other option is to buy another battery from somewhere like www.radicalrc.com to replace the one you have. I bought a 1650mah battery for my 9C and really like the convenience of not having to worry about draining the battery after a day or even weekend of flying.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:31 PM
flipstart

Thanks all for the good advice-I am using a 1800mah nimh, so I should not have to worry but just wondered about how to field charge if necessary. May add a battery splice and charge at 200mah with field charger. Flip
Old 10-20-2003, 01:34 PM
AirBearMA
My Feedback: (1)

I'm with you flipstart! I have a 1800 mAH battery in my transmitter which is more than enough reserve for a weekend of heavy flying. I'm reluctant to use my field fast charger on the radio as it is too easy for me to accidentally set the charge current too high. (Dooooh)
Old 10-20-2003, 08:07 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

There is no reason you can't use a field charger. I've been doing it and my radio still has the diode in it.

The diode is only a problem if you want to CYCLE your transmitter battery. There is no reason to do this at the field. When you want it cycled, just turn it on and wait till the voltage drops to 8 volts.

Don't make life more difficult than it already is.

Tom
Old 10-21-2003, 09:35 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

i agree with greenboot. do not open transmitter.do not solder in or out any diode. do not add any wires to match up with charger. do not buy extra batteries. go to hobby shop. buy wire with futaba transmitter jack on one and and a red and black banana plug pair on other end. plug red and black leads to your charger, and plug other end into transmitter.turn on charger.