Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dual Elev/Rudder Servos

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 09:55 AM
EXTRARC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Elev/Rudder Servos

I'm trying to hook up my first gas plane which has dual alieron, elevator, & rudder servos. I have a Futaba 6 channel (6XAS) radio, & I have read & read the instructions but can't figure how to hook everything up.

I know my alierons are connected separately to channels 1 & 6, the throttle is ch 3 & normally the elev is ch 2 & the rudder is ch 4, which leaves only ch 5 & ch 7 (it's an 8 channel receiver). So would I mix channels & connect the elev ch 2 to ch 5, & if so, I don't know what to do with the 2nd rudder servo (I do have a ch 7, but don't know if it can be used to mix since I only have a 6 ch radio). Any help will be appreciated.

JC[8D]
Old 10-15-2003, 10:53 AM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Dual Elev/Rudder Servos

Couple choices. You can use a Y connector and mechanically setup the linkages to reduce any binding. You don't need to use a separate channel, and in fact, many people don't and do just that. You can also purchase Futabas equivalent to the JR Matchbox, and use that to setup the dual rudder serovs. Even if you take this route, spend the time necessary to get the linkage as close as possible prior to installing the matchbox.

Also, its very important to make sure that your ganged up servos will react together when you add mixers, or use the trim levers. On the ailerons and elevators, you would get some roll issues if you didn't link the trims and made some changes. But with the rudder servos controlling the same surface, you would trim one servo such that it will bind against the other causing a high current drain and possibly a gear train failure.

(Tech support for my cablemodem account says that my call is next, so I'll revist this later if others havent added thier two cents woth. I guess being on hold can be productive at times :-))
Old 10-15-2003, 08:33 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Your 6XAS **CANNOT** repeat **CANNOT** properly support multiple elevator or rudder servos done via mixing, because there is no function for trims to follow. This is a just-above-entry level computer radio that doesn't offer this high end feature.

You will need to use y-harness or ideally servo synchronizers (the Futaba equivalent of JR matchbox mentioned above) to use the installation in your model.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:25 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Ann Marie is right. I found this out the hard way with this model and I think the old 8u (not 8u's) radios.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:56 PM
EXTRARC

Well, I've solved my problem! I bought a Futaba 9C, but I'm having a problem mixing the dual servos for the rudder. Does anyone know the easiest way to do this mix?

JC
Old 10-19-2003, 01:41 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go here:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-9c-q512.html
Old 10-19-2003, 07:16 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Yes, go to PMix1, set master to rudd slaove to the other channel and turn link on. set the set to any switch but make the direction null.

ORIGINAL: BAMARC

Well, I've solved my problem! I bought a Futaba 9C, but I'm having a problem mixing the dual servos for the rudder. Does anyone know the easiest way to do this mix?

JC
Old 10-19-2003, 07:33 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Ann Marie is right. I found this out the hard way with this model and I think the old 8u (not 8u's) radios.
Geist, the old 7U didn't have trim. 8U, 8Us, 9C, 9Z all have trim available in the mixes.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:19 AM
EXTRARC

Great! Thanks for the info. On the Futaba FAQ link, it had exactly what I needed. Now I know that AUX1 is ch 7 & AUX2 is ch 8. Before, I couldn't figure out what ch to make the slave ch. The rest was easy. I used the triple rate switch & have low rates, normal rates, & 3D rates. It's awesome!! Now I'll be ready to maiden my Wagstaff next weekend!!!

Happy Flying----JC