Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Change Cox 3-1 machine frequency

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 08:20 AM
siberfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change Cox 3-1 machine frequency

I recently purchase 2 of these "Magic Machine" 3-1 toys for my 2 boys. Since Dad flys real planes, I thought a toy like this would be perfect to introduce them to flight, as well as electronics.
When the two boxes arrived, i found that both are on the same freq. No biggie, I purchased a set of RC crystals for channel 3, both toys are channel 4 now. Since I have a fair amount of experiance with souldering, I figured I could swap out the crystals in one of the toys, and they could play at the same time.
Well, the Tx crystal was a sinch to swap out. However, i pulled the circuit board from the toy and do not see a Rx crystal anywhere on the board. a few resistors, diodes, antenna, and an IC which reads RX-2B J3B81. The board is a HY-009c.
Anybody have a schematic for this, or can give some advise?
Thanx!!

Kevin
Old 10-18-2003, 10:52 AM
mr.rc-cam

Default RE: Change Cox 3-1 machine frequency

Anybody have a schematic for this, or can give some advise?
The Rx is a super-regen design and is not xtal controlled. They are not selective and will respond to other Tx's in the same RF band.

The only way to effectively fly two of those models at the same time is to have one on 27Mhz and the other on 49Mhz. Sadly, moving a 27Mhz rig to 49Mhz (and vice versa)would require substantial modifications to the Tx and Rx.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:23 AM
siberfish

OK, now i have 2 other RC planes, one is channel 6, one is channel 5, the 3-in-1 toy is channel 4, and they all work corretly, around each other, with seemingly no interferance between each other.
So, it makes sense if i change the second unit to a channel 3 devise, it would work. What about completey changing out the receiver board with a cheap-ohh rc plane board that is channel 3?

Kevin
Old 10-18-2003, 12:11 PM
mr.rc-cam

That is interesting. What are the frequencies marked on each Tx Xtal?

The RX-2B IC's operating frequency is set by the coil near the antenna. The coil's slug must be adjusted with a non-metallic wand. Be careful with the adjustment -- make sure the Rx is stable over all operating temperatures and voltages after you are done.

More info on the RX-2B can be found on my Micro-Size R/C Plane web page: http://www.rc-cam.com/microszr.htm

RC-CAM