Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9C a good beginner radio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 05:02 PM
Pimpwerx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9C a good beginner radio?

Got a comp. eng. degree. Been using computers and playing video games my whole life. Been interested in RC planes since I was like 12, but only now have the time and money to get into it. Planning on getting an ARC Ready 2 to train with, and will be teaching myself. I've seen my friend flying his, and understand the physics/mechanics involved in takeoff/landing and all that stuff. A couple of things though:

1. I'm still not 100% certain how long I'll be in the sport, and I'm nervous about dropping $400 on something I might not enjoy as much as...say...a new set of wheels to replace the stock rollers on my Corolla. I know I've followed the hobby since I was a kid though, so I know I have a ton of interest, but not sure of the longevity.

2. I'll be getting into both helis and planes, so while I don't know how much I'll like it, I'd rather hedge my bets and get a radio that can handle both now, and stay off the upgrade path as long as I can.

So, I've narrowed my choices down to a JR662 or the Futaba 9C. The thought being that a 6+ channel computer radio will be able to handle any needs I throw at it in the next year or so. And the computer settings, like storing digital trim settings seems like a necessity. It will help with heli flying too, or so I assume. I've looked at other 6-channel radios from Futaba and Airtronics, and the JR just seemed to be a better deal. I hear great things about it. But it's priced at $250 with RX and servos, while the 9C is $260 with just the TX. I figured Hitex servos and RXs would run me under another $100. Not a huge difference in price for a radio that could last me the next 10 years, compared to the JR, which I might end up having to upgrade in short order.

Any idea if the 9C is maybe too much radio for someone in my situation? Is it a solid bet that's future-proof? Could I find something as functional as the JR for $50-100 less? I'm just suprised the 9C is so cheap compared to other lesser radios. I'm a bang-for-buck fanatic, and this radio seems too good to be true. Some advice would be welcome. If not the 9C, then I'd take suggestions on some other good suggestions that'll at least match the JR in functionality. I figure that should be the low benchmark for what I want.

Oh yeah, I'd REALLY like suggestions on good, cheap standard servos to use on the Ready. I know I'll crash at some point or another, and don't think it's wise to spend a lot on quality servos that may be damaged in the learning process. Thanks for any help. PEACE.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:20 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: 9C a good beginner radio?

As an owner of a 9C, I love it. And with a dot-matrix screen, programming is much easier then trying to decode the abbreviations os lower-end radios.

As for servos, HiTec HS-422 are good for a trainer type plane. I even ran them on my second airplane. Never had one fail.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:12 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 9C isn't too good to be true, although there is nothing that is truly future-proof. You can rest assured though that it will take a long time to outgrow its features. It would make a good beginner radio as long as you can leave its features alone for a little while and just concentrate on flying. Speaking of that, you will probably have a lot of fun flying but if you're planning on teaching yourself to fly with anything but a park flyer then the chances are good that you're going to crash more than once before you get the hang of it.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:45 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

The 9C is a terrific radio with a reasonable price tag. It's perfectly usable for a beginner -- dont bother playing with ANY of the features other than servo reversing and end point until you've mastered your trainer, and then you can consider playing with the features that will be iwth you for a long time to come.

As a beginner planning to teach yourself, i'd just like to add a single side note -- SIMULATOR. Even with the sim, we really dont recommend people try to teach themselves -- while you undersatnd the physics, there is so much going on in the air that having someone who is experienced can do wonders to help you get through. Full scale pilots who fly for a living are often the hardest there are to teach because while they know what is going on up there, they arent int he bird to feel it and they get frustrated, easily confused on direction when they aren't inside, etc.

I cannot recommend strongly enough that you do NOT try to teach yourself to fly helis alone. That can be VERY dangerous, because of the process needed to land properly. Be sure to at least find someone to do your first trim flights for you, get hte bird set up properly, and walk you through transitioning into a hover and landing. And know that most pilots who learn to fly helis without a simlator spend their entire first season with their heli doing little more than hovering.

Happy flying and welcome to hte hobby!!!
Old 10-23-2003, 08:36 AM
greenboot

I bought the 8U (forerunner to 9C) as my beginner radio 4 years ago. It is the best investment I've made.

With a good instructor, success is almost 100% guaranteed. Going it alone is MUCH tougher. Being a commercial pilot and flight instructor did very little to help me fly. The finger movements just aren't natural and require training and practice.

Tom
Old 10-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Pimpwerx

Thanks for the advice guys. I figure I might check around for clubs, but I'm not sweating it much until I get frustrated. My friend had a Duraplane trainer, and that's supposed to be one of the worst trainers to get, so I feel a little confident with the speed and aspects, but I'll get lessons if it proves to be a necessity. Ditto for the heli, which I figure I'll turn into spare parts on more than a few ocassions. But I'm one of those DIY guys. Taught myself everything from computers to snowboarding to cars. Hope I can do this too, and that's why I chose a particularly sturdy birdy to try it out with. We'll see. You'll know how it goes if you see me come back on here in a few months in tears. Thanks for the heads up on the settings too. I'm a gadget freak, and would probably spend all day tinkering with rates and other servo adjustments. I'd get distracted too easily, so I'll gladly heed that warning. OK, I just need to find the right deals, and hopefully I'll be up in the air within a month. PEACE.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:31 PM
fd59

So far, for me the 9C has been the BEST investment I have made in this hobby. I have seen several people at our field purchase lesser radios when starting and end up buying a more capable radio within a year.

I suggest purchasing the 9C that comes with the flight pack, instead of purchasing transmitter alone and getting a Hitec flight pack. The Futaba 3004 servos perform much better than the Hitec HS-442 IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I do like Hitec equipment (Receivers, Spectrum Transmitter, and Higher end servos). I am purchasing some of the Hitec Digital servos for my new project (1.20 Ultimate bipe).

Also, If you go with a Futaba transmitter, you can get Hobbico Command 7 receivers for only $50.00 with a crystal. This is the exact same receiver as the Futaba R127DF receiver.

If you decide against the Futaba 9C, I would suggest the Hitec Spectrum 7 QPCM, it has a lot to offer for the $. There are several at our field and their owners are very happy with them. I was about to buy one when I bought the 9C. The only thing I did not like about them is necessity of taking a servo apart to reverse it for a dual-servo elevator setup.

I can't knock JR either. I still have one of their 442's in an old trainer, but I just don't think you get as much bang-for-the-buck with JR.

Go with the 9C you won't regret it. Even if you get out of the hobby you can still get top dollar for it on ebay.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:05 PM
Pimpwerx

Hey, keep the suggestions coming. I think I might try a park flyer first instead. It'll lessen the initial cost, it'll be more suitable for self-teaching, and I can easily find places to fly around here. It's gonna look funny controlling a park flyer with a fancy-shmancy radio though. It'll give me something to think about this weekend. PEACE.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:31 AM
3DFanatic

HiTec's flagship radio is the Eclipse 7 The Spectra is the synthesizer module.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:25 AM
gamegeek
My Feedback: (11)

As an also self-proclaimed DIYer who has also taught himself almost everything about computers, I wish I had used an instructor to fly. I, like you, thought I would just teach myself and I did. I really only had a few hard landings, one in a tree, that did very little damage. For my 2nd plane I bought a durastick, a faster, more aerobatic plane. Luckily, I ran into a guy that flew and he started working with me. Teaching me how to land and takeoff especially. He made my flying sooooo much more fun because I could see exactly what the plane could do instead of reading about it. He also gave me a lot of tips on how to adjust the plane that aren't in the books. I now can adjust and start any engine easily. I know what its supposed to sound like.

If I were you I would at least spend one session with an instructor just to get the basics down. It will help you enjoy the hobby so much more with very little time and effort invested.

Best of luck,

chris
Old 10-24-2003, 09:54 AM
fd59

HiTec's flagship radio is the Eclipse 7 The Spectra is the synthesizer module.
Your correct, my bad, it's just since I got my 9C I never gave any thaught about any other radio and had forgotten the name of the flagship Hitec radio.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:25 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with AnnMarie 100%. If you try to teach yourself to fly you may doom yourself to failure. Nothing destroys a new RC pilot more than seeing his $400.00++ investment plow into the ground.

Knowing the dynamics/physics doesn't help your instincts. To adequately fly RC you have to develop instincts based on the attitude of your airplane, especially when its coming toward you.

Having said that, there is a common conception of many RC pilots that I aspire to. When it comes to radio equipment buy the best you can afford. The Futaba 9C is not your 4-channel Tower System 3000 but it will still be with you after you master your trainer and move on to more demanding aircraft.

BTW, here is a link to AMA's list of Charter Clubs for New York:

http://modelaircraft.org/templates/a...B7137DB45BAAEF

This is an excerpt from the above list -- it might be the closest club to you in Troy:

Club Name: FLYING KNIGHTS MAC OF TROY
POC: ROBERT A KIBBEY
POC #: 518/438-1721
POC Email: [email protected]
POC Addr: 58 MCKOWN RD, ALBANY NY 12203-3400

NOTE: Most AMA chartered clubs have an Intro Pilot Program. This allows a newcomer to train with an instructor for a period of time before he/she is required to formally join AMA and/or the club. This is the way to go. All AMA chartered clubs require AMA membership inorder to fly at their fields by qualified pilots.

Many of the larger RC vendors have trainer specials. Tower Hobbies even give you a 60 no-crash warrantee. They will replace your trainer airplane if you crash within 60 days as long as you were participating in an AMA Intro Pilot program.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:25 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

I wish the Futaba 9C was around when I bought my first radio. I need a calculator to add up all the money I would have saved in radio's. I bought mine about six months ago. After getting all my planes programmed in. I really love it. Wished the 9C was around 16 yrs. ago. Well thats technology for you. Keeps getting better and better.
NEDYOB
Old 10-24-2003, 11:02 AM
gamegeek
My Feedback: (11)

I really really like the features of the 9c such as its ease of programming, easy to understand dot matrix screen, and its ability to do anything you need. I have the money to buy one but I have two hangups.

1. My trainer plane came with a JR radio so I would have to pull out all the electrics and put in Futaba stuff. I would then be limited to buying Futaba or Hitec stuff unless I wanted to switch servo plugs around and that doesn't work very well.

2. As I still consider myself a beginner, I would feel like everyone would be sniggering a little at me using a 9c to fly a trainer. Also, I don't know how far I'm going to get into planes. I'm building a Goldberg cub which I believe will work OK as an aerobatic trainer but again, a 9c is a little overkill. I don't care to spend the extra money at all if a product is better at what I want it to do but I'm still not convinced that a RD6000 wouldn't serve me just as well and I wouldn't have to pull the JR receiver and servos.

Anyone have any comments?

Thanks,

chris
Old 10-24-2003, 11:36 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AS an owner of the 9c, the JR8103, a JR652, and a Hitec Eclipse I will offer my opinion. The 9C is an absolute great radio, and as a beginner you will not outgrow its capabilities anytime soon. The Eclipse with a Spectra module is also a great radio, especially from the convience of being able to use any channel from the transmitter. I am hoping the rumor of a "Spectra type" module for the 9C in the future is true. There is no real comparison of the 652/662 and the 9C, the 9C offers many more options, such as switch assignments and sliders, none of which you will find on the JR radio until you get in the expensive super high end models. My version of the Hitec Eclipse does not offer this either, but I cannot say whether the new model does or not. I was told, and do the same to people who I teach, that you should buy the most radio you can afford when you start out. If you decide you don't want to stay in the hobby, you won't have any trouble getting rid of it.
Good luck
Tommy
Old 10-24-2003, 11:40 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Futaba 9C- $400

Instructor at a club- $ Free

Teaching yourself to fly- still calculating..........
Old 10-24-2003, 12:58 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,
IS absolutely right, doesn't really matter which radio you buy, be sure and find an instructor. it will save you lots more in the long run.
Tommy
Old 10-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Pimpwerx

Hmm, not sure why I put my address as NY when I registered, but I'm actually in Miami, FL now. Yeah, there are probably a million RC clubs down here, and I don't think any of them are particularly far to drive to either. I think most might be in Broward, but I'll look around. Thanks to the person that gave me that AMA link though. I'm looking around for some clubs. I still have it stuck in my head that I'm gonna DIY this flying thing, though, so maybe I need to be humbled first. I am thinking about a park flyer now, and maybe getting the Ready 2 near Christmas, once I'm ready to tackle a glow plane...and once the winds around here start to get too crazy for park flyers.

But I'm seriously considering the instructor thing though. I think I'll cruise a few of the Miami clubs. Only three of them on the list, and they're about 30-45 minutes away from the looks of it. I know I can fly at the high school where I work though. We have a football/track and baseball field that's joined. A good few acres, and the option of landing on grass or pavement with plenty of runoff. A park flyer would be great here, and it'll be great for those in-service days when the kids are out. But we'll see. All the info provided so far is very helpful though. Thanks a lot guys. PEACE.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:13 PM
Flyfalcons

Gamegeek, you can run JR, Airtronics, Hitec, and Multiplex equipment with your Futaba system. The only limitation is you need to use a negative shift (Futaba or Hitec "F") receiver. Different brands have different plugs but the wires are in the same order and it usually just takes a little trimming with a hobby knife to get a different brand plug to fit in your receiver. In the case of JR servos, they just plug right in.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:22 PM
Crashem

Pimpwerx,

Do this go to a club and see if someone will give you a flight on the club trainer.

That way you can be humbled and save money at the same time lol
Old 10-24-2003, 03:41 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

chris/Gamegeek,
1) You can still use all your JR gear except the receiver. Servos/switch/etc are all compatible.
2) I think you'd find most pilots would be impressed at your commitment, not sniggering at you at all. Now, show up with an extra as your first airplane, and they're going to snigger. But show up with a good trainer and a great radio, and they're going to be impressed at your commitment and research prior to purchase and support you well.

Favorite advice I was given when I first started to learn to fly....
1) show up at field, act as invisible as possible
2) listen to those who try to stuff information down your throat
3) watch them fly
4) watch others fly
5) select from 3 and 4 the person who flies like you want ot learn to fly, not the person who talks like they are the best pilot on the planet.
6) Politely ask person selected in #5 to help you learn.

Sincerely,
AnnMarie Cross
President
Crosswinds Equine Rescue, Inc
http://hometown.aol.com/horses5ormore/homepage.html

Old 10-28-2003, 12:32 AM
3DFanatic

I like your advice AnnMarie. Good list.

It's usually the person that procalims to know the most that knows the least. I'm lucky enough to be in a club with a 3D expert, a building expert, and general flying expert. I wish I were on the preceeding list but... I'm working on the 3D expert first
Old 10-28-2003, 06:49 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

You have another vote for the 9C. I have had the Futaba 4 channel, the 6Xas, the 8U and now the 9C. Start with the 9C and be glad that you did.