Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

6 meter antenna question

Old 10-28-2003, 09:42 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 meter antenna question

I am finally getting on 50.900 and have a question regarding the transmitter antenna.

Should I get a new antenna tuned to 6 meters or is my old 72mhz trans antenna ok?

I have a Smiley rubber duck antenna for 72 and it seemed to work well. Smiley said it's fine for 50 mhz but I don't think so. He said all his antennas are hand tuned, you think he could hand tune one for 50 mhz.

What should I do?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2003, 10:04 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 6 meter antenna question

I fly on 6 meters with a JR 8103 and don't know if the antenna was re-tuned or not. My first one is several years old with no trouble and the second is a year, OK, too.

Several years ago when I had a PCM 10 that had a removable antenna, I ordered rubber duck antennas for it, one on 72MHz and the other for 50MHz. They were different lengths.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:34 AM
Gausswave

If all you are doing is changing a module in a tx you won't need to. The output section in the rf module is designed to work with the standard stock antenna. You most likely will have to get a new reciever as few can be converted from 72 to 50 megs.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:33 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Hello Ed,

I am also using a 8103. I do not want to overload the output transisters or reduce my output do to a bad swr.

Where did you get your 50 mhz rubber ducky?

I had placed a phone order for a 50 mhz base loaded antenna from Horizon but I checked the website and found that they are only for 72 mhz, I'll have to cancel that order.

I figure that if a base loaded antenna is only good for 72 mhz then the stock or rubber antennas for 72 mhz are not good for 50 or 53 either.

Gausswave,

I plan to get several FMA receivers.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:01 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is highly likely that the antenna is not compatable. These short antennas are usually base loaded for a particular frequency range. Going from 72 to 50 MHZ is quite a jump so probably not compatable.