Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

MPX/Hitec Evo -v- 3030

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 02:11 AM
wurger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPX/Hitec Evo -v- 3030

Hi all,
I have been using a MPX 3010 for a number of years & consider it is now time to update.

I have the opportunity of purchasing an unused 3030 very cheap.

However, all the reviews give the Evo series a good write-up, but do not compare it to the 3030.

Should I update to the Evo or stay with the 3010/3030 technology I understand (well, used to using is a more accurate description).

What does the Evo do that the 3010/3030 cannot?

Should I buy the 3030 or the Evo?

Your opinions would be welcome.

I fly scale and sport.

TIA & Best Regards,
wurger
Old 10-29-2003, 05:30 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: MPX/Hitec Evo -v- 3030

As a sweeping generalization, the Evo is easier to use for the majority of models, the 3030 has more flexibility at the extremes for very complex models. Either radio will give you tremendous power and flexibility.

Evo:
Control side mixing means if you alter a value it alters all servos e.g. alter ele->flaperon mix or rudder to 2 aileron servo mix, then both servos are adjusted. 3030’s servo side mixing means you have to adjust each servo separately. This takes longer, and it means the rotary adjuster, if used for in flight programming, can’t help as it adjusts only one aileron/flaperon servo. The Evo’s control side adjustment means that you adjust one value and all servos are adjusted. Not only that but it has two rotary adjusters, so your rudder to 2 aileron servos, and rudder to one or two ele servos for knife edge can both be adjusted in the one flight.
Evo has 5 controls as input to mixer, 3030 has 4.
All Evo’s mixers definitions are global, and the mix switch assignment is global. None are specific to a particular model, only the mix values and the assigned servos are held in each model memory. There are times this can be rather frustrating.
Evo’s mixers have a variety of curve types which is more flexible and easier to use than the 3030’s 3 point servo travel mix.
Evo can have synthesiser, scanner and channel check, 3030 can only have channel check.
Evo has user fitted long sticks with buttons, 3030 needs factory fit.
Evo can upgrade software via internet, 3030 will probably never be amended again.
For the Profi series a switch is plugged in to a control socket (retracts, flaps etc) or into a secondary socket (rates etc). Secondary switches can use something called a fixed value virtual control to operate servos as if they were control switches. The Evo doesn’t distinguish between control and secondary switches, all it has are switches and you assign what you want to them. A switch can be a control and a secondary at the same time, so it can be the retract control and landing rate switch at the same time.
Evo doesn’t need you to nominate sticks and sliders and switches from a menu list – just choose the control/secondary and wiggle the actual slider/switch/button you want it to use.
Evo has 3 and 5 point curves, 3030 only has 3 point curves.
Evo has turn and click rotary adjuster, 3030 is turn only so still need to use programming buttons to “enter” and navigate. Evo is very fast and easy to navigate and manipulate.
Evo is much lighter to hold than 3030.
Evo has 5 flight modes, 3030 has 3. But Evo modes are subsets of a memory and allow adjustment only to the control values of trim and travel. I don’t think its modes are good enough, at the very least the expo value should have been set for each mode.
Evo has digital trims, 3030 has mechanical trims. This comes down to personal preference, I really don’t like digi-trims at all.

3030:
Both Evo and Profi use a similar mixer style but for one crucial difference. In the 3030 you adjust the mix setting from each control at the servo output side, so each servo gets its own unique mix and you can fine tune servo directions, travels etc to take account of slight differences between servos. The Evo has the setting at the control input side so all servos get the exact same values and can’t be individually tuned. The sheer flexibility of this is one of the main things that has made the Profis so highly regarded for their programmability.
The 3030 flight modes switch to an entirely different model memory so absolutely everything can be re-programmed unique to each mode. It is the best flight mode system of any radio you can buy, better even than the awesome 4000.
The 3030 has only one software switch, the Gx, which can be assigned to any control. The Evo has three software switches but they are preassigned one to each of throttle, spoiler and flap. That is an electric glider model’s assignment and of no value to a power flier like me. I assigned the 3030 Gx to retract so that it sequenced the door servo, the Evo can not do that.

Harry
Old 10-29-2003, 07:40 AM
SDespot

I would buy that 3030 and wait for "EVO4000" with 3030 flight mode system and RE sticks, all put together in a case as small as Cockpit MM!
Old 10-29-2003, 08:14 AM
Tobias Schlegl

Hi wurger!

What i liked most on my 3010 (beyond the software design) is the superior workmanship. That's what i'm really missing with the Royal Evo. I migrated to the 4000 years ago and will do it again. But it don't see enough reasons to switch to the 3030 from the 3010.

ORIGINAL: HarryC
Evo has 3 and 5 point curves, 3030 only has 3 point curves....
...The 3030 flight modes switch to an entirely different model memory so absolutely everything can be re-programmed unique to each mode. It is the best flight mode system of any radio you can buy, better even than the awesome 4000.
If I remember correctly the 3010 has 5 point curves for the helicopter stuff so the 3030 should have also. Though i love the software concept of the 30x0 and 4000 that you can do almost everything i really dislike the model memory switch of the 30x0 to be used for flight modes. I think it's a lot work to maintain and therefore dangerous. When I needed flight modes for helicopters I always felt uncomfortable "Did I add the last changes to all 3 memories?".
I prefer the flight modes of the 4000 with fix basic assignments.

Tobi