Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Do you lub your TX antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 04:11 PM
localbuyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you lub your TX antenna?

I just got a 9C and the last segment of the antenna is very tight. Every time I extend or collapse the antenna, it snap so hard and I am afraid that the antenna is coming out soon, or I am going put push it in and destory the Tx.

Any suggestion?
Old 11-03-2003, 07:18 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Do you lub your TX antenna?

I am interested in this answer as well.
My antenna squeeks when I push the antenna in.

ORIGINAL: localbuyer

I just got a 9C and the last segment of the antenna is very tight. Every time I extend or collapse the antenna, it snap so hard and I am afraid that the antenna is coming out soon, or I am going put push it in and destory the Tx.

Any suggestion?
Old 11-03-2003, 07:37 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

It is my understanding that oil is an insulator, and therefore the thin film that will exist between segments degrades the aerials conductivity and hence its effective length. Clean an aerial with methylated spirit to keep it free of dirt and grease and oils, but don't oil it.

H
Old 11-04-2003, 03:06 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: localbuyer

Any suggestion?
Did you bend the antenna ? Otherwise what Harry said. I was thinking of graphite lub but there is a risk of graphite particles getting on the internal circuit boards and causing shorts.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:47 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Sounds to me that replacing the antenna is the best solution
Old 11-04-2003, 11:37 PM
Jimmbbo

FWIW, rajul,

Just got a 9C and its antenna extension/retraction is very smooth...

For the $$$ you spent, I suspect Futaba would replace it under warranty if it ain't right (manufacturing/QC defect). I'd give them the opportunity to say "Yes"...

Agree with HarryC about oil being an insulator (not to mention a dirt magnet!), and if I recall correctly, the Owners Manual cautions against lubricating the antenna...

HTH

Jim
Old 11-05-2003, 12:39 AM
smitymax

There are electronic cleaners and lubricants made for electronic contacts that can be used to clean and lubricate the antenna. They do not contain "oil" that will insulate but contain conductive type lubricants. They come in spray cans and are available at electronic supply stores and Radio Shack has them also. This will help to keep good contact between the sections of the antenna and make it slide easier. Spray the antenna lightly, slide it in and out a few times and wipe off any excess.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:51 AM
higheronnitro

Hi all
Get the antenna replaced if it has only been in service for a short period. As a side issue how many people replace their antennas when they get a little loose? I measure the resistance of an old extended aerial and found it varied from 12 ohms to meg ohms with the slightest movement. Replaced it with a new one for piece of mind. Does it matter?
Regards Steve