Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

6XAS mixing limitations

Old 11-06-2003, 03:08 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6XAS mixing limitations

This is my first 'puter radio. I was surprised to find out a basic mixing limitation on the 6XAS. When using flapperon to control two aileron servos, and using a mix to correct aerodynamic roll coupling to rudder, I need MIX1 for aileron ch1 and MIX2 for aileron ch6. That leaves me with no mixing to correct for pitch coupling. This seems like such a basic and unacceptable limitation. Is there any clever way around this?
Old 11-06-2003, 03:16 PM
BobPhx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 6XAS mixing limitations

Not that I know of. (I have quite a bit of time on the 6xas.) It's because the mixes aren't "linked", and the ability to link them is not a 6xas feature.

If you are specifically looking to correct for roll/pitch in knife-edge flight, try it with PMX 1 on the ch1 aileron and PMX 2 on the elevator. Using only one aileron will induce yaw, but since in KE you are already "flying" the rudder, you can correct for it manually. I had pretty good success with this on my Big Stik. Your mileage may vary.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Mike Ledbetter

You don't need any of the PMIXes for what you want to do.

Use "flaperon" and "flap trim" to control your aileron servos. There is a mix called "1--->4" that will couple your rudder to your ailerons and you can couple your elevator to the flaperons or vice versa as well.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:35 PM
BobPhx

Hmmmm - good idea, Mike-
1-4 slaves the rudder to the ailerons, allowing coordinated turns, like you'd need for a Cub. For knife edge, you'd want the opposite - the rudder would be the master. I read the original post as specifically asking about having the rudder (4) as the master. Maybe I'm mistaken.

The elevator to flaperon mix is 2 - 6, there is also a 6 -2, and an airbrake. But if ilikeplanes is after a knife-edge type mix, none of those will do him any good, I don't think.

ilikeplanes, can you clarify a bit - which channel is the master?

thanks
Old 11-06-2003, 07:11 PM
ilikeplanes

I am talking about knife edge mixing. Ch4 would be master in this case. I did have an idea where I would slave ch1 on MIX1 and ch6 on MIX2 but do it such that I got the pitch correction I need by raising or lowering the ailerons and leaving the elevator alone (along with the required roll correction). I can do this by having the mix percentage different for the left and right rudder directions. In effect, I should end up with a differential aileron to rudder mix.

Hmmm????
Old 11-06-2003, 07:45 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Greetings,

Are you aware that ATV is set separately for left/up and right/down for each channel? This allows aileron differential, for example, by setting up at 100% and down at 80%. Or, more rudder on one side than the other.

You could use the PMIXes to couple rudder to channels one and six when you wanted. Rudder input would produce aileron "correction."

The 1-->4 (coordinated turns) mix is always "ON" once enabled.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:11 AM
Flyfalcons

Mike, I think he is looking for a knife edge mix.

Brian, I had the same radio and what I did was use a mix rudder-aileron for the roll problem and rudder-elevator for the pitch. Not a perfect solution but it'll get you there. Or you can do what I did after four months of owning my 6XAS, bite the bullet and get a 9C.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:28 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

ILike, it sounds to me like you need more radio.

The 6XAS is an entry level computer radio meant to do the most basics of computerized functions, not meant for particularly complex functions. It is meant to give the modeler the basics, and a taste of what can be had in the higher end radios.

You CAN do a mix from 4-1 and from 4-2, resulting in one aileron responding (which really is fine in your knife edge situation), and elevator responding. But if you are looking for this level of mixing for your models, you are very likely going to want more than this radio has to offer in other scenarios as well.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:46 PM
BaronSchwab

Scratch the mixes fly for real. Hey are you out there to fly or for the radio to fly for you. I personally do not use mixes to eliminate bad actions but only to set up for 5-6 servo planes.