Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

excess receiver antenna wire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 12:09 PM
royta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default excess receiver antenna wire?

What does everybody do with the excess receiver antenna wire?

I'm not sure if the way I've done it is correct or not. I've always taken the excess, run it through the tube, and wrapped it, like a spiral, down the exterior of the antenna tube. Then I would zip tie the end of the wire to the base of the tube. Then I would coil and zip tie the excess remaining inside the chassis.

The alternative, besides cutting it, would be to coil and zip tie the excess in the chassis, leaving about six inches dangling out the top of the tube.

What is the correct way?

Thanks.

Roy
Old 11-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Crashem

Default RE: excess receiver antenna wire?

I never coil the wire I was allways taught it limits the range.

It sounds like you are using a car maybe any reduced range won't matter since cars are typically operated at much closer ranges then planes.

How about using a longer tube and letting the excess hang off the end as long as it doesn't get caught in the wheels shouldn't matter??
Old 11-07-2003, 01:11 PM
royta

Yes, I am referring to a car. If I remember correctly, that would mean I would have at least 24 inches of wire hanging out of the antenna tube. This seems like too much.

Roy
Old 11-07-2003, 09:17 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most car frequency antennas are around 18" long. Unless it's a very old unit, if I recall...

In either of your scenarios you are in fact limiting the range. But most cars never get that far away and it works OK... I don't think one method has anything on the other.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:33 PM
rik756
My Feedback: (12)

I've always been told that coiling the wire limits the range as well. Some have said that cutting is worse but with a supposed 2 mile (I think) range there is no way I could ever see it that far anyway. Anyone know of anything in writing that says you should not coil it ? I have mine slightly wrapped at the end but only about 2" worth... Now you have me worried lol.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:40 PM
RC10GT_53

mine dangles on my GT and XXX-NT....... take ur antenna tube top thing (the rubber piece that goes on top of the antenna tube)....... cut off the top of it,,,,,, and slide it all the way down to the end of the wire or just let it dangle...... i let it dangle on my GT and did wat i said do on my XXX-NT (the tube cap thing)....... and it doesnt make a difference really...... so just do it however u think it looks the most "pimp"
Old 11-08-2003, 03:58 AM
Dan Taylor
My Feedback: (2)

I fly and have had the same question, what to do with the excess wire

so I bought a deans whip antenna kit ( 7" long) and put it on a brand new scratch built fun fly plane.

It works great ... haven't crashed from a range problem yet!

have torn the landing gear off though... what do you do with excess landing gear?
Old 11-08-2003, 09:03 AM
rik756

have torn the landing gear off though... what do you do with excess landing gear?
If you fly like I do, you'll find it usually wraps around the fuse quite well too...
Old 11-08-2003, 09:53 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

rik756... not coiling an antenna that was intended to be straight is basic electronic theory. If you really need proof in writing, just check out a beginers primer on inductors.

What heppens when you coil the antenna is that you have made an inductor. Inductors have several properties, such as they store magnetic field, and act as low pass filters. Anyway, the net effect is that they apear to make the antenna segment act as if it was longer. This effect can be useful, i.e. whip antennas use an inductor to make them act longer than they really are. However, randomly wraping the antenna in loops is not a good idea.

If excess wire is really a problem for your setup, consider getting a loaded whip antenna. They don't cost much as they are basically just a coil of wire on a stick. Range will be reduced by at least 20% becasue a loaded antenna is less effecient than a proper dipole 1/4 wave antenna. However, for some items such a cars and Helis that are use close in, the 20% range drop isn't a problem.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:41 PM
rik756

On my particular setup, I have the wire ran through the bottom of the fuse through a piece of fuel line ran to the bottom of the fuse under the rudder. I have it looped once around a rubber band that is pinned with a T-pin. The wire then goes back towards the front pullin it and the band through another piece of fuel line that holds it snug but will give it pulled hard enough. The excess is then pulled aft and wrapped around the t-pin. It's prolly 3' that doubles and maybe an inch that is wrapped.

This is a failry common setup around my field minus the wrapping of the wire at the T-pin. The others let it dangle. I have a weighted castor wheel tail dragger and I'm afraid if I let it dangle it will get wrapped up in the tail wheel. I gather this setup is not recommended then ?