Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

PCM Failsafe linked to Pilot Assist

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 08:04 PM
Falcon_az
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Failsafe linked to Pilot Assist

I was looking through the Futaba FAQs and stumbled into the following. I am wondering if anyone has their JR, Futaba, or other system setup along this line? Has anyone seen this system save a plane or had their own saved with this?
I'm thinking this has some merrit and be worth considering. Looking for feedback from the field.
Thanks!

Can I use the PA2 (Futaba Pilot Assist 2) in conjunction with FailSafe on my PCM transmitter to help protect my airplane in the event of interference?

Absolutely! This is an excellent safety idea. The failsafe feature, if set to continue the last command, will often keep your model in the loop or straight flight it was last doing, but unfortunately, sometimes it will keep your model in a precarious situation you didn't want it locked into. By using the PA2 in combination with preset positions on the failsafe settings, you can help ensure your model will go to level flight at slow but safe airspeeds and hopefully safely ride out the interference.

To set up the failsafe for this combination, we recommend the following:

First, please remember that you must be using a PCM RX and be in PCM programming. Your PCM must have programmable fail safe setups.

Second, fly the aircraft and turn the gain up on the PA2 until you find the maximum setting it can be at before the plane starts to 'hunt' or 'waggle' because the gain is set to high. Have your spotter notice where the dial is set at that time.

Now, land the aircraft and set up the programming so that the PA2 is brought up to that maximum gain setting, throttle is set at a safe high idle for flight, and all other surfaces go to neutral.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:28 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: PCM Failsafe linked to Pilot Assist

Falcon,
I'm the one who tested this extensively -- well OK i'm the one who stood there and said "try this" while my husband flew and tested it extensively -- and it worked SUPERBLY! Stick your plane in a full throttle spin, turn off the TX, and it was upright, level, and happy in a matter of about a second. We could not find an orientation that it would not safely and cleanly pull out of in a very reasonable response time.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:14 PM
Falcon_az
My Feedback: (25)

Default RE: PCM Failsafe linked to Pilot Assist

Thank you.
I think adding this to the model is very reasonable insurance. All I'd like is to have a few seconds, in the case of signal interuption, to try and see the signal return to normal.
I'm surprised it is not used more frequently, it seems very few are using this system or are unaware of it. Thank you for your reply!
Jeff M.