Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Another Reason to Buy a Futaba 9C

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 09:04 AM
vkmaynard
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Reason to Buy a Futaba 9C

I am moving on from the Eclipse (own a Prism also). Hitec has fallen behind in TX design.

I like the Eclipse but it has become more limited with each model I buy (like dual elevator servos). I found the 9C much easier to program and recheck the program (all channels show a glance). The jog wheel is great. Finally, I purchased the Futaba buddy box because I found out that you can actually use the all the functionality (mixing) of the master radio with the buddy box (including Helicopter CCPM) with NO additional setup required on the student radio. Just plug and play.

Victor
Old 11-27-2003, 09:18 AM
Rotcivv17
Banned

Default RE: Another Reason to Buy a Futaba 9C

I like u for 2 reasons, u know ur radios and we got da same name CHeck out my nick backwards

Victor
Old 11-27-2003, 10:03 AM
kstaack
My Feedback: (5)

More reasons: easy programming, no lithium battery, maybe next year it gives a sync. modul,
good price, enough for 90% of us.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:23 AM
rorywquin

Obviously you guys have not heard of the Royal EVO!![sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 11-28-2003, 11:18 AM
7th Angel

Well, I've heard of the EVO [:'(]... $100 MORE and NO servos made the 9C a FAR better choice for me. And that didn't include the frequency synthesizer module!

One thing Multiplex did get right with the EVO is the size. When compared to the BEHEMOUTH Profi series, the EVO won't take two men and a boy to lift the thing out of the suitcase you need to carry the Profi in.[sm=punching.gif]

Get the 9C and take the money you've saved and buy ANOTHER flight pack. You'll be glad you did!

Doug
Old 11-28-2003, 11:31 AM
kstaack

I have not only heard from the EVO, I read the manual. The Evo is a very different kind of radio (programming) and is laying between the 9C / JR8103 and the 10X. But more closer to the 9C. I tried to get one, but no chance to get one this year. And what I not
know: How is the services ? It gives no information about this important fact.
So, I guess, the 9C is at the moment the better choice.
I have now a older MC3030 and this is a real good radio, but I need a newer one. It is sure not easy to make a decision. And what I not like by the Futaba radios is this high band and low band system. But, I guess, I can live with it.
That's all.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:51 PM
3DFanatic

I'll be ditching my 9C within the next year for a RE12.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:39 PM
7th Angel

I'm happy for you...
Old 12-01-2003, 03:27 AM
rorywquin

ORIGINAL: 7th Angel

Well, I've heard of the EVO [:'(]... $100 MORE and NO servos made the 9C a FAR better choice for me. And that didn't include the frequency synthesizer module!

One thing Multiplex did get right with the EVO is the size. When compared to the BEHEMOUTH Profi series, the EVO won't take two men and a boy to lift the thing out of the suitcase you need to carry the Profi in.[sm=punching.gif]

Get the 9C and take the money you've saved and buy ANOTHER flight pack. You'll be glad you did!

Doug
[sm=lol.gif]

The man is only going to end up dumping the 9c to buy a Royal Evo - what will be his saving then?? The RE leaves the 9C cold in terms of functionality and flexibility. There is a huge thread on the e-zone which should be checked before committing to a 9C!

Quality is always enjoyed long after price is forgotten!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:00 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rorywquin
There's a lot of truth in that. A person only pays the price once, but with the right piece of equipment you get years of service out of it.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:55 AM
hilleyja

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The man is only going to end up dumping the 9c to buy a Royal Evo - what will be his saving then?? The RE leaves the 9C cold in terms of functionality and flexibility. There is a huge thread on the e-zone which should be checked before committing to a 9C!

Unless your starting to get into fancy jets or your an alien with different dexterity in your hands and need to make component/switch/stick reassignments not available in the 9C, what extra functionality do you get with the Royal Evo over the 9C? What can't you do with the 9C on a standard airplane that you can with the Evo?

Lets just recognized the reality, the Royal Evo is just the new kid on the block. Its not even new, just newly available because Hitec is now distributing it. IMHO, it does not fill a void left by the 9C. Even the availability of the synthesizer will soon become mute when Futaba releases their synthesizer in February.

Here's a thought: The Royal Evo, whether it be nine or twelve, is a viable alternative to the JR 10X and/or Futaba 9Z and costs less.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:30 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Futaba 9CHP! There is no substitute!!!!! You will love it.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:55 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

It seems like people on here want to brag about what great equipment they have. Are they trying to rub it in each other's faces that they made a better purchase? If people are happy with their Futaba, JR, Multiplex, or Hitec, then leave them alone. Same thing goes with engines. All this brand loyalty just makes it more confusing for people trying to decide what to get.

I'd like to see more facts and less statements like "your stupid if you buy anything other than brand X". Most of the comments like this come from someone who has had nothing to compare their brand of choice to.

By the way, I've owned Fords and Chevys. I like them both.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:37 PM
3DFanatic

ORIGINAL: hilleyja

What can't you do with the 9C on a standard airplane that you can with the Evo?
Two words: Flight Conditions
Old 12-01-2003, 03:06 PM
hilleyja

ORIGINAL: 3DFanatic

What can't you do with the 9C on a standard airplane that you can with the Evo?
Two words: Flight Conditions
One word: Example???

I will admit there is a few features about the Royal Evo that does intrigue me.

1) You can download/upload model configurations to a computer -- that feature alone may eventually move me to the Multiplex brand.

2) When you turn on the TX it will sample the RF to check whether the channel is being used -- won't turn on if it is already in use. (This appears to be a function of an optional scanner accessory)

3) You can turn the TX on without energizing the RF -- allows you to adjust programming setups without transmitting -- another feature alone that may eventually move me to the brand.

3) It is firmware-based, meaning upgrades can be downloaded from the internet and installed.

4) It is selectable for any RX shift -- the Futaba 9C is not.

5) You can change flight conditions on the fly -- not sure if that is safe for the Futaba.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:36 PM
tiggerinmk

Yup, there's a lot to be said about brand loyalty. 20 odd years ago back in ol' Blighty, I got me a brand new shiny JR when all the world (well the club, anyway) was using Futaba. I was treated like an alien.
Getting back into this a couple of years ago over here, I was glad to see a distribution of several brands and no 'my radio is better than yours' mentality at least at the local club. As you've probably guessed, my first radio again was a JR.
Earlier this year, I was fortunate enough to be able to study the 9C and the XP8103 side by side at the LHS. Both were a similar price as the JR was the promo pack. I was almost drawn to the dark side by that shiny (tacky?) gold case and all those knobs and sliders but I was won over by the quality and solid feel of the JR. The JR ended up costing me more as I had to buy a flight pack to avoid wasting those digital servos on a trainer.
Rest assured, when the time comes to upgrade to another radio, I will look at all the options and may again be tempted by the dark side, but i doubt it
Old 12-01-2003, 08:20 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

That's funny, tiggerinva, some of the guys at my field say I "turned to the dark side" when I went from JR to Futaba.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:09 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I will admit there is a few features about the Royal Evo that does intrigue me.

5) You can change flight conditions on the fly -- not sure if that is safe for the Futaba.
Flight modes/conditions/phases are either part of the radio or not, I take it from the various comments that the 9C does not include them. Multiplex also has the feature of the digi-adjuster rotary wheel, (which they have been using for about 10 years now it is not new on the Evo) that allows you to adjust program values such as mixer % or rates while in flight. The setup is designed from the outset for you to use this in flight so it is safe to use.

If you are trying to fit the Multiplex Royal Evo 9 into Futaba knowledge, it comes somewhere in between the 9C and the 9Z, but much closer to the 9Z, with the advantage of having 9 rather than 8 full channels. You get an extremely modern radio, closer to a 9Z power for closer to a 9C price. It is not entirely fair to the Futaba 9C to compare it to the Evo as the Evo is in a higher grade. Obviously the 12 has a massive advantage of 50% more proportional channels than the Futaba radios.

H
Old 12-02-2003, 05:16 AM
rorywquin

SNIP What can't you do with the 9C on a standard airplane that you can with the Evo?

[/quote]

I assume most people move on from "standard aeroplanes"! I have a sport aerobatic aeroplane - I assume that one could consider this standard - and it needs needs both rudder to aileron (not coupling but opposite aileron) and rudder to elevator mixing to help fly a reasonable knife edge!

Can you do this on a 9c? Perhaps, I underestimate it!

As suggested have a look at the threads on the other discussion forum - there is really too much for me to detail in a few lines here!
Old 12-02-2003, 06:20 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

ONce I learned flight modes, I figure that I wanted to learn how to fly that stuff with the planes original settings.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:36 AM
rorywquin

ORIGINAL: Geistware

ONce I learned flight modes, I figure that I wanted to learn how to fly that stuff with the planes original settings.

Geistware - I agree that one should be able to fly without any "aids". However "flight modes" only cut down on your work load while flying. You still need to be able to fly the aircraft, know what modes you need, be able to fine tune the different mode settings and know when to use them.

Some guys, where I fly, consider flying with computer radios to be cheating! I once asked a guy how to do a snap roll - his answer was "I just push this switch on the side here"![sm=confused.gif]
Old 12-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Flyfalcons

ORIGINAL: rorywquin
I assume most people move on from "standard aeroplanes"! I have a sport aerobatic aeroplane - I assume that one could consider this standard - and it needs needs both rudder to aileron (not coupling but opposite aileron) and rudder to elevator mixing to help fly a reasonable knife edge!

Can you do this on a 9c? Perhaps, I underestimate it!

As suggested have a look at the threads on the other discussion forum - there is really too much for me to detail in a few lines here!
Dude, any freaking 6 channel computer radio can do this! You just need two pmixes . OF COURSE the 9C can do this, plus you can assign the mix to one or multiple switches, or just have it active all the time (like I do). You can also put each of those mixes on a 5 point curve if you want. Exactly how basic are you assuming the 9C is?
Old 12-02-2003, 03:03 PM
ChuckA

I used Futaba for almost 20 years. I finally gave up because of the stupid switches. The last switch I broke was 4 years ago at the Nats where another switch was broken in the transmitter impound. I said I would never buy another Futaba until they replaced the switches and switched to Hitec. I have now replaced the Hitec with an Evo and will never go back to the black plastic porcupines. The Evo feels so much better, is easier to keep clean, and much easier to program.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:31 PM
AirBearMA

I have a 9C and I'll admit that it is more than enough radio for me. I've found the programming very intuitive so I actually make use of many of the features. While it would be nice to have a PC interface, it is not absolutely necessary. I can keep my plane setups on spare campac's.

I also use Futaba PCM receivers on all my planes so I plan to stick with my 9C until something better that works well with these receivers comes out.

I have checked out and read the EVO manuals. To me, it seems that the Futaba is easier to program.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:02 AM
7th Angel

Just like Aviti said "All this brand loyalty just makes it more confusing for people trying to decide what to get". As I see it, there is the Futaba and JR crowd along with the Hitec group and then there's the Multiplex cult. If you are looking for a good quality radio that's easy to program, reasonably priced, and will do more than a lot of pilots will ever need, either a Futaba9C or a JR 8103 will suffice. If however, you want braggin' rights too, you've got to join the Multiplex cult.

After hands on experience with my flying partner's Profi 3030, I decided braggin' rights were not something I was interested in...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.