Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 6 channel computer radios

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 08:49 AM
ray c.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 6 channel computer radios

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 6EXA and the 6XAS Futaba tX. I know the 6XAS can be ordered as a PCM but I don't plan on that option. Is the XAS worth the extra $50. They seem to have the same options and functions other than the PCM. Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:39 AM
Dsegal

Default RE: Futaba 6 channel computer radios

The shortest answer is that the EXA is a simpler transmitter with fewer functions but is
easier to program than the XAS. Commenting only on those issues important to me,
here is what I don't like on the EXA. There is only one dual rate switch for elevator and
ailerons- I prefer two switches as on the XAS. The digital trims on the EXA are not as
friendly as the old style slide switches on the XAS. The EXA has only one mixing mode
while the XAS has two. But programming the XAS is not very intuitive- I always need the
manual or a cheat-sheet to do it.

Having said this, I think they are both good transmitters. The XAS is nice for a beginner and easy to use. The XAS has some features that I prefer for many of my models. (And I do use both of them.)
Old 11-29-2003, 10:11 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Personally, dish out the extra $50 and get a far superior radio.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:03 AM
IronCross

I'll second that. The XAS is well worth the extra 50.00.
The 9C is even a better deal if you can swing the cash.
Only readio you will need for many years to come. You will save
a lot of money in the long term. You won't have to buy several radio's
before you end up with a 9C
Old 11-30-2003, 04:23 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 6EXA and I really like it. First I don't need the dual rates on my rudder. Also the trims are very user friendly. I like them just fine. Also I just didn't want to spend more than $170.00 and I have the perfect radio for my needs. It seems that everyone in this forum has to have a 9C. Hogwash.

Joe
Old 11-30-2003, 05:07 PM
IronCross

When you get a taildragger you will lean to appreciate dual rates on the the rudder.
I believe the XAS now has duel rates on the rudder with all dual rates on seperate switbhes. My XAS is an
older one that does not have the dual rudder rates unless I put all three on one switch wich doesn't really work
for me. When I am flying my Extra for instance I set the elevator only on low rate to prevent unwanted snapping
but when I land I switch the elevator to high rate so I still have some control at low speeds. It is really nice to set
the rudder on low rate (its a tail dragger) with plenty of expo for take off and the switch it to high rate for airobatics
once airborne and then back to low for easier ground handling when landing. So many advantages to the 9c and XAS
that one could go on for hours. Things like setting up a ground idle and airborne idle on a switch to help prevent dead
sticks, setting up a motor kill switch etc. These are just the basic nicitys of 9c. Then there are the timers, all the mixing
that is available, the ability to assine just about any function to any switch etc. It is endless. For someone to say the
EXA is all they will need sounds like they are happy with there trainer and sticking with it or they plan to purchase
several radios. There is a reason everyone wants or has a 9C.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:40 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If everyone wanted a 9C then Futaba would only offer a 9C.

Joe
Old 12-01-2003, 08:25 AM
IronCross

Naw, it is more profitable to sell them several lower end radios
and then the 9C.
Kind of like computers, as you progress you always need more
memeory or/and hard drive space.