Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Opinions on cold weather storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 09:53 AM
SDR-Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on cold weather storage

I have an unheated workshop that also houses my R/C stuff. During the winter months I remove receiver batteries and take those along with transmitters in the house for the winter. As much as I don’t want to should I be doing the same with the receivers as well?

The reason I ask is because temperature fluctuations will sometimes cause condensation on metal objects and the cold cement floor. Condensation is my concern.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:36 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Opinions on cold weather storage

I have been cold storing many planes for many years . Conceivably the transmitter and servo pots are the most vulnerable devices in the rc system. In practice the Michigan winters have caused no problems , for me at least.
Of course an extra good range and function test in the spring would be in order . Better yet -- winter flying from the snow with skis or floats is a rel ball !
Old 12-01-2003, 05:05 PM
SDR-Hammer

Ladyflyer, thanks for the input. I’ve tried my hand at winter flying… Let me just say until I move back to a warmer climate the months from November to April will be reserved for just building.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:21 PM
Lynx

Place anything you don't want harmed into a zip lock bag and close it all the way to just before it's done, and then 'suck' as much air out of it as you can. That'll eliminate most possible problems. If you're really worried, buy a cheap vacume packing device. They don't cost much, the bags are inexpensive, and anything vacume sealed is virtually in a time stop as far as oxidation, and condensation can't occur.