Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How to replace toggle switch in a 9C ?

Old 12-01-2003, 05:00 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to replace toggle switch in a 9C ?

Hi, does anyone know how to replace a toggle switch in a Futaba 9C ? Thx !
Old 12-01-2003, 02:40 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to replace toggle switch in a 9C ?

The best way is to send it in to Futaba...
Old 12-01-2003, 03:31 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Send it to Futaba or Radio South [&o]
Old 12-01-2003, 04:30 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

I believe they are a standard 2 position-3 position toggle switch. Go to electronics store or a "good" radio shack if you can find one (not the ones at the mall). Make a diagram of the wires. Unsolder the 2, 3 or 4 wires depending on the type of toggle switch, #of positions. There will be a one, nurled nut that holds the switch on...typically the nut is on the outside. Once the nut is removed, the switch will fall out. Resolder the wires and put in the new switch. If you don't get the wires right, it will not match up with the programming....as they specify up, down etc.

Test...fly
Old 12-01-2003, 05:05 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Check with tower..they have replacements that you can buy..Youll need to do some soldering of course but its not that difficult..If not then like stated above you need to send it to futaba
Old 12-01-2003, 07:47 PM
rajul

Thanks Guys, got the p/n from TH. Seems easy enough to do....
Old 12-01-2003, 07:52 PM
3d-aholic

Yes, its easy... Just get the wires right. If you don't get the wires right it probably will still work but won't match the programming but thats about the worst thing that I can imagine happening.... Most switches can handle quite a bit of heat so unlike some other components I doubt you would damage it solding the wires on.

Also those nuts can be difficult to get off. they have a place to use a screwdriver...but in my experience you have to break the switch off to use it so that it would fit all the way across...hopefully yours is hand-tight.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:01 PM
rajul

Mike, the switches on the 9C doesn't use knurled nuts on the outside. Instead it is the slotted type. The slots are on either side of the toggle bar, so using a normal screwdriver is impossible. What I need is a small "c" type wrench. I'll check my local hardware shop if they have one that will fit.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:19 PM
3d-aholic

Yes, the nuts have slots....sometimes between the slots, it is knurled...but it doesn't have to be. The knurling is better because it only needs to be "finger tight" really or in the case of slots, finger-nail tight. I've also see standard nuts without knurling or slots...

But the slots are very difficult to use a screwdriver for except as a "pry-bar"
Old 12-01-2003, 08:35 PM
rajul

Mike, the 9C prototypes in Japan had an issue with switch grounding and I suspect that there is some kind of insulator between the metal switch body and the chrome coating on the front bezel. I need to check that out when I disassemble it.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:43 PM
3d-aholic

Ok....I don't know anything 'bout that, but the outside of the switch is normally suppose to be grounded...

I would be severely shocked (literally) if the outside of the switch weren't grounded to the chassis, and this as a common ground to the radio. If not, it would be theoretically possible to work up enough static charge on your carpet such that when you went to touch the outside of the switch it would be sufficient voltage to "jump" to internal componentary and damage them. But if so, I'm sure its just some cheap fiber insulator that you could reuse on the next switch if it didn't come with it.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:06 PM
MustangFan

The replacement switch from TH 'should' be the correct one .... correct ?

As stated ... not that big of a job if you are comfortable with soldering.[8D]
Old 12-04-2003, 10:47 AM
dirtybird

They are not a common sw you can get from the local Radio Shack. You have to get them from Futaba or the distributer.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:20 AM
3d-aholic

Thats ridiculous.

A switch is a switch is a switch. If you match the ohms and resistance of the switch, you can buy a switch to match Futuba's switch at any "real" electronic store....which means you may not find it at Radio Shack, but Tower does NOT own the monopoly on switches. Since the circuit is on a basic low voltage circuit, such a switch would be trivial to find.

Its probably easier to buy it at Tower though to make sure you get the right one if you don't know what your doing.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:46 PM
3DFanatic

It's just so much easier to buy the right one instead of hunting around for an equal.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:21 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: 2MuchThrow

Thats ridiculous.

A switch is a switch is a switch. If you match the ohms and resistance of the switch, you can buy a switch to match Futuba's switch at any "real" electronic store....which means you may not find it at Radio Shack, but Tower does NOT own the monopoly on switches. Since the circuit is on a basic low voltage circuit, such a switch would be trivial to find.

Its probably easier to buy it at Tower though to make sure you get the right one if you don't know what your doing.
Not true.
A switch may be a switch but you will have a hard time fitting an off brand switch. The Futaba switches are mounted on a circiut board that other switches won't fit. At best you will wind up with a cobbled up unit.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:30 PM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

Not true.
A switch may be a switch but you will have a hard time fitting an off brand switch. The Futaba switches are mounted on a circiut board that other switches won't fit. At best you will wind up with a cobbled up unit.
If you consider soldering a wire to a circuit board to be cobbled up....but then I guess the whole thing is cobbled up then when you buy it under that definition.

And in my Futuba radios, the toggle switches are not mounted to a board....I only have 3 of them so it is possible that I don't have the one where it is.
___
I'm all for being safe. And if your radio is under warranty don't do it, but this is not a difficult thing. If you can build a plane that flies out of little sticks of balsa....you probably can do this. Anytime you do anything there is a chance you could mess it up....about the only way to mess this up...is if you don't really know how to solder.