Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Range Check

Old 12-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Rambo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range Check

Hey guy's whats supposed to be a reliable range check? I was told 6 inches of TX. antenna sticking up and approx 150 ft. all around, does this seem right to you? If so i've got two systems that won't cut it maybe i can get 100 ft. Thanks for all replies.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:54 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: Range Check

personally, i think 100ft collapsed is fine, but I also have a problem with the range test. transmitters can react differently to the very high SWR conditions, and may actually transmit at reduced power if the output primaries overheat. Some tx's (9z and maybe 9c) also do not have ANY antenna connected when they are collapsed, so you have to have it somewhat extended.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:55 AM
AMA-69405
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Range Check

Rambo,

Depends...

Generally speaking, Futaba says 100 feet, JR says 150-175. But I would strongly suggest you read the article below that is applicable to your radio, assuming you have one of the two brands mentioned. Actually both articles are pretty good, but be aware that the Futaba article points you back at the owner's manual for some specifics of testing. The JR article is entitled "PCM range testing", but the concepts apply to FM as well. The JR article is quite extensive and very interesting reading, regardless of your transmitter brand.

JR - http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/articles/1079.asp
Futaba - http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-q331.html

Gary L.