Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

H5-55 mini servo on throttle for 40 ARF?

Old 12-12-2003, 12:07 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default H5-55 mini servo on throttle for 40 ARF?

This is a HITEC mini servo. Since the throttle on my 40FP is so little load, can I use this servo on it? It's very light. I also have a HITEC full size and is way over kill as far as torque (and very heavy). It's for a Fun Air 3D 40 ARF.

Also will HITEC servos work with a Futaba rx that uses j-type connectors? Are the pinouts the same? Connectors work?

Joe
Old 12-12-2003, 01:23 PM
cwesh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: H5-55 mini servo on throttle for 40 ARF?

The HS55 would work just fine on the throttle.

As to Futaba receiver and Hitec servos, go for it. They work just fine. Just make sure you connect them correctly, signal wire to the signal pin, etc. One way to do this is to plug in a Futaba servo and plug in the Hitec servo, matching where the black wire goes.

I use those servos in my planes all the time with my Futaba receivers. I also use Hitec receivers with my Futaba transmitters. As long as the receivers are negative shift, they will work with a Futaba transmitter.

Later!
Old 12-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

This is a HITEC mini servo. Since the throttle on my 40FP is so little load, can I use this servo on it? It's very light. I also have a HITEC full size and is way over kill as far as torque (and very heavy). It's for a Fun Air 3D 40 ARF.

Also will HITEC servos work with a Futaba rx that uses j-type connectors? Are the pinouts the same? Connectors work?

Joe

I would think so, I'm using the Hitec 81, on a 60 size pattern airplane.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77568.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	81949  
Old 12-20-2003, 10:37 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell yea you can use that servo for the throttle. It doesn't take alot of torque to move any throttle as long as theres no binding in the linkage. I fly mostly 1/2A and have wish I could find some type of super light, super mini servo with .75-1.50 inch oz. of torque. I know it's not a problem for larger planes, but for the small ones your throttle servo takes up more than it's share of the planes flyable weight.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:29 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Just make sure you isolate it from vibration. There are no rubber pads, remember.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:10 PM
jtholley03
My Feedback: (4)

Guys I just used a stadard Hitec Digital on throttle. The preciseness of it sure seems to lock in the idle. I can really get a low idle on my Saito 72 swinging a 15x5. Lower than I could previously on a standard servo. I have absolutely no bind or slop in throttle as servo is mounted 2" with ball ends on each end. Just a thought. I used to go with the lightest micro servo on throttle but my ideas have changed since putting a digital in.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Ernie Misner

Clearly the key is to inusre a free setup with no binding. This means very little curvature in the push rod. Ball links are great on the throttle arm since the arm usually moves in and out a bit on the carb from idle to full throttle. This can cause a bit of binding if an ordinary clevis us used there.

The info on a digital servo for throttle was very interesting. A good and dependable idle is so important. Deadstick landings are no fun at all, especially when starting out in the hobby. Try to set up the throttle channel cleanly so that every click of the trim tab will noticable in rpm's at the engine when idling!

Ernie
Old 12-22-2003, 10:13 PM
3DFanatic

Don't know about that whole dead-stick thing. I wa in Calif last summer flying my uncle's bridi Sun-Fli V and for the life of me could not stick a landign without at elast one bounce. Then while doing a low inverted pattern, the engine died, I rolled upright and glided into a perfect 3-point no bounce landing. Go figure.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:00 PM
cmoore806
My Feedback: (82)

I am looking at the Sun Fli V, is it a good plane?
Old 01-15-2004, 12:30 AM
3DFanatic

I loved it. A great pattern plane. Went exactly where you pointed it. His needed the CG moved slightly aft but he's not into the real crazy aerobatics so a forward CG was good for him. Snaps were great on it. We were flying in a stead 25+MPH wind and it tracked great. His had an MDS .68 on it... Not quite broken in. I'd buy one!
Old 01-20-2004, 08:27 PM
cmoore806
My Feedback: (82)

how do you think one would perform with a .61 OS, or a 1.10 YS four cycle? I would consider a .91 YS fourcycle, but they arent sold anywhere anymore since the 1.10 came out. I wanted to get an airtrax agressor (no longer made) but lost the auction for one on eBay and now am looking for a similar plane to use for precision aerobatics.

thanks,

Chris
Old 01-21-2004, 12:52 AM
3DFanatic

A 61FX would pull it around well. Not quite a 1:1 power:weight ratio but close. A YA 1.10 would be one HOT combo.

I know a guy with an Airtrax, he let me fly it once. THey fly well too. Snap like you wouldn't believe.