Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 7uaf

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 05:04 PM
turtle_sc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 7uaf

Hi,
I have a 7uaf that I loved..used it on a P51, but after sitting for a few years the battery was toast..so I bought a new battery but it would not charge through the jack on the transmitter. I charged it seperatly and put it back in the trans but it won't turn on ...nothing completely dead. Any ideas? Can it be sent back to futaba to have it checked out? I know it is old but I really like it.....
Old 01-11-2004, 09:07 PM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 7uaf

I have 4 7uaf transmitters along with a couple of 5U transmitters. I had a similar problem with one of the 5U's and found the problem to be at the battery connector in the transmitter. If your old battery has leaked some electrolyte, it might have corroded the connector in the transmitter. This would prevent the tx from turning on and you would not be able to charge the battery through the jack. You can check this by cleaning the contacts in the tx with fine sandpaper, being sure you keep any filings out of the tx.

I changed all of my txs to use servo type connectors at the battery. You might consider doing the same.

George
Old 01-12-2004, 07:30 AM
turtle_sc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ghendrix,
Thanks for the help....can you send me some detail of the servo connector, how did you change the connector on the battery?
Old 01-12-2004, 04:43 PM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did cleaning the contacts help?
If you want to change the connectors, here is what I did: Simply use a 6 or 12 inch heavy duty extension as it has both the male and female connectors needed. Cut the lead (I used 12 inch extensions) in the middle. I opened my tx and soldered the leads from the male connector directly to the locations that the old battery connector leads went to on the pc board. The battery is somewhat a problem although I was changing batteries, making up my own packs, so it wasn't a problem for me. You can solder the leads from the female half of the extension to the appropriate terminal on the pack or simply purchase a pack with the leads already on them. Futaba has a pack with the correct connector on it. JR also has a pack that will work as long as you plug it in correctly (black lead on Futaba = brown lead on JR, red = red).
Here are links to Futaba batteries that will work. The first one is a 600mAH and the second is a 700mAH:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLV15&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBTJ1&P=0

Hope this helps,

George