Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo Question

Old 01-13-2004, 01:22 AM
Wolfpack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Question

This has happened to me on serveral occasions, I am running hitec servos, and at the start of the day the servos will not respond well. If I give full right or left the servo takes a long time to respond or is jittery. After working the servo for a while the servo is fine throughout the day. Then after the plane sits over the week, the servo does the same thing on the initial start-up. slow and jittery to respond, and then after working the servo for a minute or two, the servo works fine for the rest of the day.

A friend of mine says maybe its because I live by the beach and maybe the damp weather is causing the pots to become dirty, and after working them a bit it cleans them off. I am looking for advise. This has happened to one plane, and I eventually replaced the 2 of the 4 servos causing the problem, but now I am noticing the same thing on a second plane of mine. If I am experiancing the problem on mor than one plane, theis must be a widespread problem that most everyone else is seeing. All are hitec standard non-ballbearing, 300's? or something like that. Any help would be appreaciated!
Old 01-13-2004, 09:27 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Servo Question

Most of the rest of us don't live by the beach.
It could be moisture is getting in there.
Be sure to check your connectors. Everytime I have had servo problems recently it turned out to be the connectors were dirty.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:50 AM
wisdom-seeker

Have you considered that it might be your transmitter? The best way to isolate this is to switch your servos to a different channel and see if the problem follows the servo, or if the problem stays with the channel. Of course, you don't have to be flying to do this. For example, you could move your throttle servo to the elevator servo channel, and see if the throttle servo continues to exhibit the bad behavior when you move the elevator stick.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:40 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I love Hitec Servos.......except for the 300's!! I had some and within 2 years, 5 out of 8 of them went goofy. Not exactly the same problem as yours....but I was getting jitters and intermittent operation. One particular elevator servo almost led to a crash. For standard-servo applications, I now use the Hitec 425's. Never had a problem with them.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:55 AM
Wolfpack

its not the tx cause I replaced the servos and the plane was fine. Then the 2nd plane develped th same problems. I guess I just assumed that since both planes had a problem, and the ervos were hitec that this wa a common problem that everyone was seeing. The cirus servo on the throttle did not have any problem at all.

The problem only lasts for about a minute and then after cycling the servos the problem goes away for the rest of the day.
Thanks!
Old 01-19-2004, 12:03 AM
Dauntae

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only have 2 HS300 servos and I have read a few seperate times that the HS 300 was discontinued because of problems with the pot and replaced with the HS325 This might be the issue your having, and the damp weather can't be helping either, I also use the HS425 in most of my planes and never had a problem with them either.

Dauntae
Old 02-10-2004, 12:00 PM
Ultimate

yep I get the same problem with some hitec cheap servos,

if I dont fly the model for a while the servos are all jitery and slow, after some stick waggling they run fine.

dirty feedback potentiometers I believe ?