Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

switching from 4.8v to 6v

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 12:40 PM
DownSideUp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default switching from 4.8v to 6v

I've been on 4.8v ever since I started flying a year ago. I bought a 3d plane that suggests 70oz of torque for elevator and rudder. I'm trying to figure out if buying high torque servos or changing from 4.8v to 6v is the best way to go.

My question is, what do you have to change as far as receiver, battery, servos, to go from 4.8v to 6v. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:11 PM
Phil Cole

Default RE: switching from 4.8v to 6v

6 V won't get normal 40 oz. in. servos up to 70 oz. in. Servo torque is directly proportional to the voltage, so 40 oz. in * 6 V/4.8 V = 50 oz. in.

A servo that can do 70 oz. in. at 6 V will be 56 oz. in. at 4.8 V.

You only need to change the battery. All receivers will be OK with a five cell pack. There are a few servos that are not rated for five cell operation, but it's not likely that these are the ones you're considering.

You need to make sure your charger will fully charge five cell packs. The charging voltage will be over 7 V.

I'd buy the higher torque servos and use a four cell pack since it's lighter than a five cell pack.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:04 PM
DownSideUp

I realize I have to buy new servos and a new battery pack, if that's the way I want to go.

I appreciate your response, Phil, that's exactly what I was looking for, and I had not considered the wieght issue, but I am now. Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Remember, if you are going with the standard 600maH pack, you will get less flying time with the higher torque servos and doing 3D. What Phil said was correct but realize you will have a shorter flying time.

ORIGINAL: DownSideUp

I've been on 4.8v ever since I started flying a year ago. I bought a 3d plane that suggests 70oz of torque for elevator and rudder. I'm trying to figure out if buying high torque servos or changing from 4.8v to 6v is the best way to go.

My question is, what do you have to change as far as receiver, battery, servos, to go from 4.8v to 6v. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:31 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

My custom-built 5-cell weighs 2.5 ounces