Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 6EXA Mixing

Old 02-06-2004, 08:35 PM
CharlieDelta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 6EXA Mixing

I have a Futaba 6EXA and need to run 2 elevator servos where they rotate in opposite directions.

So set channel 2 to elevator as usual and then...

set the PMIX to have channel 6 (slave channel) set at -100% mix with channel 2 (master channel).

This almost works but the channel 6 servo only rotates a fraction in one direction.

Is this a shortcoming in my setup or the radio?

Is there another way to achieve 2 contrarotating elevator servos with this radio?

Thanks for any help.

Chris
Old 02-06-2004, 11:37 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: Futaba 6EXA Mixing

haven't used a 6exa, but i owned a 6xas for quite a while. it IS possible to do it, although it is a very poor method as your trim only works on one and if you happen to hit the wrong switch while in flight, bye bye elevator control. in other words, it is much easier to buy a reverser for this, that is what I did for my dual elevator servo ucd46. I think futaba itself puts it best

"Also, the elevator dual rate switch MUST be on at all times or the mix is turned off and your model will, very likely, crash"

but... if you want to do it, here are the instructions for the 6xas, should be similar.

http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-6xsuper-q473.html
Old 02-07-2004, 08:20 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Chris,
You have to set both percentages to 100% (or -100%) to get the servo to operate in both directions. Move the elevator stick up and down to switch between the 2 settings.

As said above, this is NOT an ideal combination for your model. I would really recommend a servo reversing yharness or a servo synchronizer instead. Much safer way to go.

Sincerely,
AnnMarie Cross
President
Crosswinds Equine Rescue, Inc
http://www.crosswindseqresq.org/
Old 02-08-2004, 05:28 AM
CharlieDelta

Thanks rkramer and AnnMarie.

I see what you mean about the bad implications.

I was able to get full travel on the mixed channel when I realised that the channel 6 flap knob had to be in the middle but that means that if I accidentally nudge that then one elevator changes. The main thing though, as you say, is that the trim wont work on both so I agree it is a thoroughly bad idea.

I'll get a Y-lead reverser.

Many thanks for your help.

Chris.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:24 PM
compute42
My Feedback: (15)

I'm trying to do simple split ailerons on my plane, Right Aileron on ch1, Left on ch2 The 6EAX sucks for programing, YOU CAN"T DO IT witout trying to center the flap knob, god forbid you nudge it and your control surfaces are now all out of whak... Flaperon setting sucks cause you can only get %40-%60 travel on the servos cool if its a warbird or somthin' but not when your trying to get some decent throws... This is not a "1 coustom mix" as futaba states it.... Its a "1 very limited mix" I wish Futaba would put all these exeptions in their liturature when your looking at buying the radio.... This really doesn't feel like a computer radio at all... yah its got dual rates (only on ailerons and elevator), and digital trims, but thats about it for usefull features... Save your money and get a 7CAP or a 9CAP... wish I did....

~Andrew
Old 05-07-2004, 09:42 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Andrew,
The functions are detailed clearly in the instruction manual...beyond that its just not possible for Futaba to lay out everything in an ad, for example, every detail of every feature? Just can't do it.

Please try to re-explain what you're trying to do, as ch 1 and 2 wouldnt be flaperons. I assume you mean 1 and 6? and activated flaperons? What exactly is happening, what's the problem, etc? 60% travel is a lot of travel for flaps for a normal model.

You do need to remember this is a budget price tagged, "less than the 6X" entry level computerized radio. It is meant to handle very simple, basic setups, and that's all. As you say, if you want to do more complex special needs, such as 3D airplanes, you need to look at a 7C or similar.

AMC