Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9C vs Hitec Eclipse 7

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Treker NCC-1701

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9C vs Hitec Eclipse 7

Hi All,

I am in the market for a new transmitter, and have narrowed the field down to the Futaba 9C and the Hitec Eclipse 7. Any opinions on which one you feel gives more "bang for the buck"? Programing ease? And if you have a preference, why do you feel that way?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
[8D]
Treker
Old 02-08-2004, 09:37 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 9C vs Hitec Eclipse 7

I have a Futaba 9C and I feel I won't need another Tx for the rest of my life. Can't say much about the Hitec as I have not used it before, to be fair
Old 02-08-2004, 10:49 AM
kwelz
My Feedback: (6)

I own both so I can give you a pretty fair comparison.

Both are exceplent Radios. However They are not reallyin the same leauge. The 9C is a far more flexible and feature packed radio than the Eclipse.
The biggest advantage of the Eclipse is the spectra module and the ability to change the shift of the TX. Futaba is coming out with a Selectable frequency module however you will still be stuck on Negative shift. My 9C is my Main radio. I use it on my helicopters and larger planes. My Eclipse I use on all my other planes that don't require much programming.

Both are pretty easy to program but the 9C takes it to a whole nev level. Plus it gives you the ability to assign a function to any switch. This is a very nice feature to have. In addition the large LCD makes it easier to tell what you are doing. You have a graphical representation of your Exp, throttle curves, etc. This is something that I find very valuable.

As far as cost, they are right in line with each other. An Eclipse with a Spectra Module and no flight pack is about 230 bucks. A 9C with a fixed module is around 260 without a Flight pack. If you are only going to have one radio I suggest the 9C. However, if you want a backup radio like I feel most people should have, then the Eclipse is perfect. It allows you to fly on any reciever in the US without worrying about Shift or fequency, and it is still a very feature rich radio. Just not quite as refined as the 9C in my opinion.

Customer service for both will be Excelent. In fact this is the case for all 3 of the main Radio manufactures.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with the Eclipse, 9C, or 8103.

P.S. The 9C is actually only an 8 channel radio if you run on FM. You need to be on a PCM reciever for the 9th channel to work.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:56 AM
rajul

Word count in Azziza's posting. 9C mentioned 8 times. Eclipse mentioned 6 times. LOL !
Old 02-08-2004, 06:58 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two 9C. That should tell you something. And no, I'm not crazy. My flying partner has an Eclipse 7. I would never own one and he wishes he had a 9C. Actually he uses my spare a lot instead of his. There is no comparison between the two in any number of features. Go on line and print out the manuals for both radios. Look at the pictures, read about the features and setup, and you too will own a 9C.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:36 PM
rajul

Splais, just curious why you need two 9C ?
Old 02-08-2004, 10:34 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

I sold off my Eclipse a few months ago to buy a 9C and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:12 AM
Treker NCC-1701

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replys. I had pretty much come to the conclusion myself that the Futaba 9C would be the one, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Personally, I prefer the look and feel of the 9C, but the Eclipse 7 has the Spectra module which is a nice feature. I just wish that Hitec had a little higher end radio to compete head to head with the 9C. I love Hitec receivers and servos, and would like to give them my transmitter business as well.

Later,

Jay

aka
"Treker"
Old 02-09-2004, 12:59 AM
rajul

The 9C synthesized module should be available soon
Old 02-09-2004, 11:33 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Without a doubt, for your advanced aircraft that need or can take advantage of complex mixing go with the 9C. You can't take advantage of the Hanger 9 Ultra Stick QUAD flaps with the Eclipse -- it doesn't have the mixing capability.

Due to the Spectra module, I do maintain both a Futaba 9C and a Hitec Eclipse 7. When/if Futaba does actually come out with a synthesizer I will be disposing of the Eclipse. I really only maintain the Eclipse because early on I put each of my airplanes on a separate channel and have quite a few xtals.

Don't get me wrong, if your TX needs are simple then the Eclipse is a good value for the money. You may even find some bargains on eBay and RCU after Futaba comes out with their synthesizer.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:36 PM
sizam
My Feedback: (6)

9C far and away, and the only times I hear '9C' and 'Eclipse' come up in the same sentence its 'I upgraded from the Eclipse to the 9C', I can't imagine any circumstance under which I would suggest someone get an Eclipse because if they were asking about it I would point them to the 9C for all the above reasons.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:23 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Let's see, two 9C's. (1) Well I couldn't stand to not fly if I had to send in my radio for repair (happened once already when I dropped it)? (2) I do a lot of helping people get started. Buddy radio-wise it just made since. (3) I got a great deal off Ebay. (4) I got 9 planes on four channels; so no matter what is going on I can fly. (5) It was a stupid waste of money. (6) Go back to item 1.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:10 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't own either radio, but I am currently helping a friend figure out what to buy. I own a Hitec Prism 7X, just for reference.

I don't think you told us what you plan to fly with this radio. That matters when you look at value. Features you can't use don't matter.

One thing to look at is the time on the market. The Eclipse is several years old while the 9C is pretty new, so it is likely to have more up to date stuff.

Futaba and Hitec are both top makers with excellent service so that should not be an issue.

If you want to make a fair price comparison, then you look at a single channel Eclipse at $180 at Servo City vs the Futaba at $290 with a channel module for single frequency. So what do you get for your $110 on the Futaba?

http://www.servocity.com/html/radio_...l_systems.html

You get one extra channel in FM or two extra with PCM ( receiver not included with either radio at prices shown) If you go PCM you must buy a Futaba PCM receiver as PCM is not compatible between brands. Likewise the Hitec needs a Hitec PCM receiver to go PCM.

You get more advanced mixing and more flexible assignments to switches with the Futaba

Since most of the packages come with the extra CamPak, you get 14 model memory on the Futaba vs 7 on the Eclipse

The Futaba has a larger programming and display screen.

The Eclipse gives you shift select. If you have a mix of receivers, this might be valuable or not.

For an extra $40 you can get the Ecliplse with the spectra module now and fly any receiver on any channel. The Futaba does not have that available today. Assuming it does later, and assuming it is priced similarly to the Spectra module, it should be about $90 sold as an add-on to the radio. So add that to your Futaba price if that feature is valuable to you. 290+90 vs 180+40

Both are pretty feature rich but the Futaba clearly has more.

So it is, and always breaks down to price/performance, personal preferece and what do you want to do with it now and in the future? The Futaba costs 50% more for a single channel radio. Can you or will you make use of the feature/functions of either radio?

3-4 channel parkflyers, probably doesn't matter which you get

Full house sailplanes with lots of mixes and serious competition, probably the Futaba is the way to go.

Full house sailplanes with mild to moderate mixing. Either will do

Giant 3D pattern planes, again probably the Futaba

Simple 2 channel gliders - no difference

If you don't have a budget issue - get the Futaba

If you are tight on money and don't need the extra features, get the Eclipse. Three years from now the super radio of the century will be available and you will want that one. If you like new stuff, you will always be planning the next purchase.

I don't have any personal experience with either so I am looking at this like a buyer, like you. I do have a Hitec Prism 7X. It is meeting my needs now, but I am thinking that next year I might look at a new radio. And, as I mentioned above, I am helping a friend evaluate radios now.

Either one will meet his needs today.

So, what do you really need/want and how much money do you have to spend?
Old 02-09-2004, 07:22 PM
aeajr

Here is a different thread on the Eclipse vs the Tracker II that may interest you.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Polk...1488530/tm.htm
Old 02-09-2004, 10:58 PM
Treker NCC-1701

Thanks for the info. Right now, I am just flying sport models, but I would like to explore other aspects of RC down the road. Because of this, I would like a radio that won't limit me too much, and It looks like the 9C fits that bill.

I currently own a Futaba 6XAS, and was a little disappointed last year when I was trying to program the quad flap function on a Hanger 9 Ultra Stick. I soon realized that the 6XAS just wasn't up to the task, and to get that functionality, I would need a better radio. Thus my search.

BTW, I ordered a 9CA transmitter today from the LHS. $270 including the freq. module. I also understand that there is currently a $35.00 rebate on the radio.

Thanks again for all the input.

Regards,

Jay B.
aka
"Treker"
Old 02-09-2004, 11:13 PM
aeajr

Sounds like you made a good choice and got a good deal.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:12 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: hilleyja

Without a doubt, for your advanced aircraft that need or can take advantage of complex mixing go with the 9C. You can't take advantage of the Hanger 9 Ultra Stick QUAD flaps with the Eclipse -- it doesn't have the mixing capability.
You can do quad flaps on the Eclipse. It just takes fancy mixing. And paying attention to your mix switches.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:37 AM
billyreedy
My Feedback: (4)

I currently am in a radio exchange with Hitec. I own an Eclipse 7 and I had a catastrophic transmitter failure. The transmitter completely quit transmitting any signal whatsoever whil I was going though an easy loop, the failure happened on the backside of the loop with my plane pointed directly at the ground. This caused my PCM reciever to go into failsafe mode which I programmed as straight and level at about 25% throttle. Needless to say I lost my brand new Ultra Stick 60 during its second flight. This also was only the second flight on this radio since it was new. I will never own another Hitec product so my suggestion to anyone looking at these two radios would be the 9C.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:43 AM
XJet
Banned

The interesting thing is that, if you look back through these forums, you'll find cases where people have had catastrophic failures with *evry* mainstream brand of radio and, as a result, have sworn off them for life.

The reality is that *every* brand of radio gear has failures from time to time and, based on my experiences and those related to me by others, those failures seem very evenly distributed across all manufacturers' offerings -- with the exception of a few lemons that most people know about by now.

Although I don't have one, and (thanks to Hitec's upgrade policies for those living outside the USA) am unlikely to *ever* have one, I've heard nothing about their QPCM system that suggests it's any less reliable than JR or Futaba.

Would I buy another Hitec transmitter? No, but that's not because the gear's no good or bad value -- it's just because, when you live outside the USA, the upgrade paths are non-existant (unless you're willing to pay more in freight than the gear is worth in order to return it to the USA and get it back again).
Old 02-14-2004, 09:11 AM
aeajr

XJet

Very good post!
Old 02-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Scotts Billy

I am interested in the problems with Hitec upgrades in New Zealand that you mention Xjet?? I also live in New Zealand (Christchurch) and have friends who use the Hitec Eclipse and have had upgrades such as the QPCM upgrade by just sending their radio to the Auckland distributor with no problems. What issues are you aware of?

Billy
A happy Futaba 9C user.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:55 PM
XJet
Banned

Do they fly 72MHz?

When I spoke to the AK distributor they claimed they weren't handling 72Mhz gear here.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:27 PM
Scotts Billy

Aahhhhh. I see. One of the guys is on 36Mhz and the other on 40Mhz Bit of a gipp that. Don't see why they couldn't handle the software up grades for you as that would not be affected by the 72Mhz module you use. Their just being awkward by the sound of it. If you are prepared to pay the upgrade price they should just do it!! You have my sympathies. I can feel the frustration from here.

Billy.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

I owned an Eclipse for a short few months. Then the 9C came out, so I sold the Eclipse even before I got a drop of castor oil on it. Programming and feature-wise, the 9C is light years ahead of the Eclispe. Also, don't scoff at that extra channel (or 1-1/2 channels with a PCM RX) you get with the 9C. I have several airplane where I'd used up all 8chs, and wished I had a couple more.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:16 PM
aeajr

Volfy

Just curious, what do you use all those channels for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.