Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

new radio needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Clark L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new radio needed

Ok, Im looking for a new radio. I've been using the Airtronics RD6000 and have been real happy with that. It meets all my needs except one... no removable TX module. As a pylon racer I need the capability of changing frequencies (I'm not going to paticipate in the heated debate about swapping crystals[sm=punching.gif])

What radio to choose? I know all the top of line radios have this capability but they are complete overkill for me. Any mid-range radios have this capability? I beleive the Futaba 9C and the JR 8103 have the feature. Any others?

Thanks for the help

Clark
Old 02-11-2004, 01:04 PM
RSands

Default RE: new radio needed

Hitec has a relatively low priced programmable radio, i think it's the "Eclipse", a 7 channel. You can use the Spectra module in it (any channel), and I believe it's shift selectable. A few guys at the field have them, and are very happy. Looks like a great radio for the money.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:55 PM
venkman

Check out the synth version of the Evo as well.

It costs more than the Eclipse, but it does more as well. Since you're concerned with changing channels it's worth noting that with the Eclipse you have to remove the frequency module and manually turn a couple of small dials with a small screwdriver or something similar; with the Evo you set the channel interactively on the screen on the front.

You get more plane memories with the Evo (20 with the 9 channel, 36 with the 12 channel), MUCH better mixing, better battery management, and although this is a personal preferent I like the ergonomics of the Evo a lot better.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:24 PM
Clark L

Thanks. Yeah I forgot about the Hitec. How about that new JR 6102? The literature doesn't seem to say. Single frequency modules will work fine. I only need two or three channels. Synthesized would be good of course but not necessary. I just don't like being stuck on one channel.

Haven't heard of the Evo. Is that something available from my local hobby shop?
Old 02-11-2004, 07:46 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

You can get an Evo from the hobby shop. The 6102 does not have a module. There is also the Tracker with a syn. receiver.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:32 PM
venkman

There are some huge threads about the Evo over on www.rcgroups.com. Go here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forum...s=&forumid=135

Most people would say that feature-wise the 9-channel Evo is somewhere between the Futaba 9C and 9Z, but a lot closer to the 9Z side of the scale (while being a lot closer to the 9C in terms of price). There's a 7-channel Evo but it is a big step down from the 9-channel, and I'm not sure it's available in a synth version, and a 12-channel version that sounds like it would be overkill for you.

I think all the Evo's can be had with pluggable crystal RF modules as well. I don't know the prices but you can probably just get the synth version for the price of 3 or so crystal modules.

You probably can get one from your local hobby shop, but may have better luck ordering on line if you decide you want one. They are still a little scarce.

The Tracker II from Polk's, as rhd-RCU mentioned, is also a possibility. I don't have any direct experience with it but a lot of people have been unhappy with it. It's got a couple of nice features (fully synthesized with a built-in scanner that warns you if the channel you've selected is already in use, 99 model memories), but apparently won't do anything past pretty basic mixing. On the other hand I've heard nothing but raves about Polk's synthesized receiver (the Seeker II).

A lot of people would say the combo of an Eclipse transmitter and a Seeker II receiver is just about ideal, as you can fly on any of the 50 channels you want. The Eclipse seems to be a nice mid-range radio as well.

How many existing recievers do you have? You mentioned you have an Airtronics transmitter, so I assume they're positive shift. The Tracker II and Eclipse are both shift selectable; the Evo is postive shift (and should shortly be shift selectable via a software update you can download directly to the transmitter with the appropriate cable). The Futaba of course is negative shift, if that matters.

The Futaba 9C is a fine radio too, and there are rumors Futaba will have a snyth module out for it "soon".
Old 02-11-2004, 11:49 PM
Clark L

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. Did a search on the Evo and came up with some good stuff. It's certainly physically different from what I can see. Seems to have all the great features but I'm a little concerned about the size and shape. I'm kinda set in my ways about how a transmitter should "feel" and that looks like a big change to get used to.

My RD6000 is also shift selectable so I've tried different receivers. I've had mostly good luck with the Hitec receivers however in one installation I ended up going back to the Airtronics receiver to improve the range.

I think I'm leaning towards the Futaba 9C. It looks like it does it all and at a reasonable price. I just dont like that big clunky R148 receiver... too big... too heavy. I'm usually short on space and I'll do anything to save weight. Guess I'll probably stick with the Hitec Receivers.[8D]
Old 02-12-2004, 11:51 AM
venkman

I don't think you can go wrong with the 9C but I'll add one last word on the Evo.

It is physically different, no question. For me though that difference is a good thing! The back of the case is recessed so I feel I have a better grip than with other radios, and as I fly DLG's that's a good thing. You can rotate the sticks to change their X and Y axis in relation to the case - that doesn't sound like much but now that I have it I like it a lot. I'm a 'thumb' flyer and there's a natural tendancy with left aileron to end up with a little down elevator (and up elevator with right aileron) because my thumbs don't naturally move left and right perpendicular to the radio case. Adjusting the sticks eliminated that problem. The Evo is lighter than just about any other radio I've tried, too, another little thing that in practice makes a difference. This is, for me, the most comfortable radio I've ever held.

If there's a way to do it I'd recommend physically holding one for a while to see how it actually feels. That may be just about impossible, though, as they're still scarce in hobby stores from what I've seen.

But like I said the 9C is a great radio, and everyone has their own preferences on feel. I think either one will serve you well.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:05 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

The Evo is in a league above the 9C. In the UK their prices are very similar so there is no real contest, but USA prices might have a bigger difference which will influence your decision, but don't be in any doubt that the Evo is a far more capable radio than the 9C. A friend of mine traded in his 9C to get an Evo, I have met heli fliers in the shop trading in their JRPCM10 to get an Evo.

H
Old 02-13-2004, 07:02 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I just received my evo and really like the way it feels in my hands. The case contour gives you a good grip.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:19 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: JL1

I just received my evo and really like the way it feels in my hands. The case contour gives you a good grip.
I didn't know about the case design until I actually got mine so I was surprised how the two deep wells on either side on the back of the case make this a REALLY comfortable radio to hold. Your fingers naturally wrap around the edge of the radio and the wells make it seem like what you're holding is only an inch thick. Much better than holding one of the Asian "bricks".

I'll also add here that no one has commented much on the weight of the EVO. I had expected it to be a heavy radio just by the way it looks, but it turns out that it is EXTREMELY light compared to some of the Asian radios.

Highflight
Old 02-13-2004, 10:14 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

Harry,
I just picked up a used Multiplex Profi 4000 v2. I hope you will help with questions. I'm not over whelmed by reading the manual but we will see if I can do any thing this weekend.

Carl
Old 02-13-2004, 10:26 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Carl, I will be delighted to help, just kick off a new thread when you are ready. You are not the first person to be underwhelmed by the manual, hope you got the v2 software supplement as well.

H