Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

UNI Vs MPX in MUltiplex RXs

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 11:35 PM
3wExtra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UNI Vs MPX in MUltiplex RXs

I just purchased my first MPX reciever. and I would like to know what is the difference between UNI and MPX.
Thank u
Old 02-29-2004, 03:44 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: UNI Vs MPX in MUltiplex RXs

You will only get uni(versal) versions in the USA. Uni means a JR plug/socket, and uni servos are timed to centre at 1.5ms.

Mpx means the Multiplex plug/socket and servos/Tx timed to centre at 1.6ms.

H
Old 02-29-2004, 04:25 AM
SDespot

On MPX IPD's "UNI" means Futaba socket. That socket can accept both Futaba and JR servo connectors. When using JR connectors you have to observe polarity yourself. Futaba connector slides in one way only. MPX Picos have smaller sockets so they can only accept JR connectors. Observe polarity here too.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:03 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HarryC

You will only get uni(versal) versions in the USA. Uni means a JR plug/socket, and uni servos are timed to centre at 1.5ms.

Mpx means the Multiplex plug/socket and servos/Tx timed to centre at 1.6ms.
Harry

What's up with that? Is there some reasoning behind this that I can't think of?
Old 02-29-2004, 05:10 PM
HarryC

Reason for which bit?
Old 02-29-2004, 08:38 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duh, I should have specified... The 1.6mS for neutral?
Old 02-29-2004, 10:57 PM
3wExtra

thnak youi all..... now i understand.....
Old 03-01-2004, 03:59 AM
HarryC

Mike,

as you know, there is no standard for PPM and every brand chooses its own values. While all the Asian radios have fallen into line with a 1.5ms centre and are now down to two types of plug, Mpx carried on with its 1.6ms centre and its own plug that it feels is superior. With what was a relatively small niche market, that did no harm to it. But when they "invented" the digital servo and the programmable digital servo they would have realised that they were missing a lot of potential sales so offering one that had a centre and plug to suit Asian radios was a good idea. Plus their top end radios, the Profis, were attracting experienced fliers who had made their way up from humbler radios and now wanted a real high end Tx but one that would work with their existing Asian airborne kit without the user having to adjust each channel's centre. So the Profi 3030 was the last Mpx only Tx, in 1995 the 4000 went on sale with a software choice between 1.6 and 1.5ms centres for each model. The Evo goes even further allowing a choice between Mpx and uni centre for each channel! Uni receivers simply have an output socket cover that is shaped for both JR and Futaba plugs and does correctly polarise both without the user having to check JR polarity.

There is one remaining quirk though with the Mpx uni setting and that is the travel times. Everyone thinks that the servo pulse is between 1ms and 2ms. That is wrong but it is a near enough approximation when explaining it to most people, who don't need to know precise details. There is no common standard. JR uses 1.1ms to 1.9ms, Futaba uses 1.07ms to 1.93ms, I don't know what Sanwa and Hitec use. Multiplex continues to use centre +/- 0.55ms so its standard even in uni setting is 0.95ms to 2.05ms. The only point at which all systems come together is at max travel, of 0.9ms to 2.1ms. Since they all start from different 100% travels, they all have different max values hence JR allows 150% to get to 0.9-2.1ms, Futaba allows max 140% and Mpx allows max 109%.

H
Old 03-01-2004, 06:57 AM
3wExtra

Harry.... do you work for or are you "sponsored" in any way for MPX?
I always find you help to be of good use.
Thank you!
if you do not either work or get sponsored MPX should as i believe you have helped (and continue) many of us to start to see the light
Thank you!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 10:01 AM
HarryC

I wish! I have never had any contact with Mpx let alone be sponsored by them. I am that perfect advert - the extremely satisfied customer! I don’t think Mpx is faultless, there are aspects I think they let themselves down on with bits other than the Tx but hey no-one is perfect. It would be nice if one day a box arrived full of digi servos and IPD Rxs and a thank you note from Mpx for all their radios I have sold but I don’t think that will ever happen. Or perhaps Glen/Mike at HitecUSA invite me to emigrate to Florida or California and be their Mpx help desk, but I think that’s wishful thinking too!

H
Old 03-26-2004, 02:55 AM
madhun

If you own 3010, 3030 or 4000, you must set center to -9% and you are instantly compatible to the rest of the world.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:50 AM
HarryC

ORIGINAL: madhun

If you own 3010, 3030 or 4000, you must set center to -9%
The 4000 has a software option to choose between mpx and uni centres, it doesn't require manual re-centring to -9%.

H