Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 8103 Promo servo Flutter

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 12:53 PM
bbuchorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 8103 Promo servo Flutter

I have a brand new set up, JR8103 Promo radio with the R700 reciever and DS811 Digital sport servos JR just came out with.
I put them in a new Hanger 9 Funtana S-40 3D Airframe, even put a new Saito 72 FS in it.
All throws set to recomended settings using supplied linkages except dubro heavy duty control horns on the servos, (stiffer than stock).I made sure that the linkages had no slack, set up was very tight.
the bird looks like it is trying to fly off using the control surfaces only. This cycling usually starts in the ailerons than goes to the tail untill all four servos are involved.The ailerons actually cycle up to 2 inches, or more at the trailing edges.
I tried different battery voltages- 4.8 and 6, moving antenna around different recievers etc.. IT'S IN THE SERVOS!
When I can get it to settle down, all the control surfaces hunt for their centers ie twitch constantly . apparently no deadband at center for these servos. Unfortunately the heavy cycling of the servos prematurely loosened up the servo gear trains to an unacceptable level, so I boxed them up and sent them to horizon with a video of the actual flutter. I prefer to fly than fight an unruly air plane!. The hitec analog double bb servos work just fine, though not as strong or fast. Im waiting on the response from JR service at horizon, and will post the results. If I knew how to post the video I would.
Comments and ideas would be very much appreciated! THANKS[8D]
Old 03-01-2004, 03:40 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Default RE: JR 8103 Promo servo Flutter

I have also had the same problem with them,. maybe not as bad. I just don't use them. Someone posted here at RCU that Horizon told them to use a PCM receiver.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:59 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those servos should work fine with your receiver. I would first check your servo mounts. If the
servos are mounted too solid it can cause chatter or giggling around neutral especially with the
digital servos because they have almost zero deadband. They have to move somewhat in the
rubber grommets. Do not overtighten the mounting screws. You want no slop in your linkages
but the servos cannot be hard mounted.

tommy s
Old 03-06-2004, 01:48 AM
Jeremyb574
My Feedback: (2)

That is par for the course for those 811's. The jury is still out on whether or not this a bad thing (although, it is annoying).
Old 03-06-2004, 04:20 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Same thing with me! When you move the sticks it will go away. (I too am not exactly thrilled about new high dollar equipment behaving in such a manner)
Old 03-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Juice

ORIGINAL: bbuchorn
If I knew how to post the video I would.
bbuchorn,

You can't post videos on RCU. If you want, e-mail your video to me and I'll put the video on my webspace and then I'll post a link to it in this thread (Check you PM for my e-mail address).

I just bought the JR 8103 Promo Pack also and from what I've been reading, too many people have been having this exact same problem with these servos. I'd really be interested in seeing you video.

Juice
Old 03-06-2004, 09:31 PM
rrweather
My Feedback: (7)

I seem to remember reading a post on this topic before and JR's response to it. I will search the recent threads and see if I can post a link to that thread.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:40 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

One of them was mine.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

You guys have probably never run coreless or digital servos with extremely tight tolerances before. I have had coreless servos do this for years on a full charge, and especially on a 5-cell pack. My JR 811s act just like that. Put a little load on them, lightly touch the surface or get some air loading and it stops, as it does after a flight. Some digital servos won't even take 6 volts.

You should see the ailerons on my Burrito with about 50 degrees of travel jitter on a full charge of around 7.2 volts. A regulator helped some, but they still jitter a little at first.

If you don't like the 811s, I'll trade some 537 standards straight up.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:44 AM
bbuchorn

Well? Just a little update.... I sent off the servos and a guy from Horizon's JR service center called me... he found one servo was not up to par so he is replaceing that,and, he requested that I send in my R700 rx also, Which I did, and he said he was sending me the new R700 PCM version along with my servos for my troubles, They should be coming in soon and I will post the results.
I have no experience with pcm use so this should be interesting....Any tips?
PS I have had nothing but good experiences with dealing with horizon so far. They seem to be a really good Bunch. Very polite and helpful.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:23 PM
KevinBourland
My Feedback: (9)

Same for me, I am tired of the" Jitters", so i went to Ace Hardware and bought small springs and conneted them to the outer servo arm hole and to a servo mounting screw, and now the servos never flutter the flight controls.