Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Antenna for micro flight

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 06:31 PM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna for micro flight

I searched through this forum and read what I could find, but still have a couple questions. I'm building a small delta (not micro, but small) and there is no place to put an antenna. I though about nyrod inners in the wing, but the antenna would have to come out a wing tip and then go back in and it would still hang out.

If I hang the antenna out the back, there will be at least 2' of antenna wire trailing behind which isn't acceptable.

So I'm thinking about using a whip antenna. My question is can I install the antenna completely inside the wing with no problems? Not sure if it would be removable or a permanent part, but I can't start building until I solve the antenna dilemma.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 03-01-2004, 06:33 PM
mr.rc-cam

Default RE: Antenna for micro flight

Try an Azarr antenna. I hear they work great.

http://www.ecubedrc.com/
Old 03-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul:
Been using an antenna I found on the net. I think it was under gadgets. Anyway its a little over 12 in long. You cut the antenna 4ins from the reciever, solder on a 1.5 microhenry choke coil then 8 ins. of wire. I used .020 piano wire with a small loop on the end of it. I put spade connectors on it so I could put the normal length one on if I need it. The choke part # is Miller 9230-24 . Worked so well without a glitch, three more are done this way. One is on a Pizza Box. Once I had it overhead About 500 ft with no problems. Have to keep these small planes fairly close anyway.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:29 PM
CafeenMan

OK, I can handle soldering, but I know jack about electronics. Who's MicroHenry and where can I buy his chokes?
Old 03-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm about in the same boat. To me, looked like a piece of wire with a little lump in it. Went to an electronics supply store and ordered it by that number. Didn't know what I was getting. There's a coloured band around it so I asked a more knowledgeable friend and he said it didn't matter which end was soldered to which end.

My problem is, if it doesn't have a spark plug I'm done.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:26 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the small FMA receivers can have the antenna cut to 18" without being detuned, just a loss in range. i've been using the old tetra single conversion FM with a 20" antenna for small planes and have never managed to lose radio contact due to the shorter range even when i'm almost OOS.

dave
Old 03-02-2004, 11:44 AM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Here is some optins from tower hobbys.
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK820&P=7]hayes whip[/link]
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK821&P=7]hays whip 12"[/link]
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK822&P=7]inside antenna 18"[/link]

I hope you find this helpfull.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:05 PM
No Stick

Has anyone tried the Berg Sticky antenna available from Air Craft World? URL is here:
http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=2049
Looks like it would work perfect in a wing.

Keep 'em up,

Ed
Old 04-11-2004, 07:28 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT
the small FMA receivers can have the antenna cut to 18" without being detuned, just a loss in range. i've been using the old tetra single conversion FM with a 20" antenna for small planes and have never managed to lose radio contact due to the shorter range even when i'm almost OOS.
Note that the FMA M5 is already down on range compared to many other small dual-conversion receivers (such as the Hitec 555).

In my own tests, the M5 has just 65% the range of the Hitec 555.

So, you're probably safe if you cut the receiver antenna down for small models, but don't forget to replace it if you decide you want to use the M5 in a larger model that migth fly at greater distances.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to disagree with Xjet on the FMA5's range. It is extremly good, better than most standard size receivers and as good as any normal Hitec or Futaba and better than many JR's. I've used it on 1/4 scale with never a range problem as well as on many small electrics. Yes, it you cut the antenna in half, it will lose some range but will still stay in tune with no glitches.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:54 PM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul,

Here is a link to some 5" to 7" antennas that I have been using on my electric foamies. No problems with them at all.

Dan

http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/sho...80&cart=152644
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18866.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	121470  
Old 04-12-2004, 03:30 PM
CafeenMan

Hey! Check this out! They'll be at my club this month.

Had fun at Toledo, see you in Florida at Hernando Aeromodelers April 24th, Springhill, Florida
Old 04-12-2004, 03:42 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Rodney

I have to disagree with Xjet on the FMA5's range. It is extremly good, better than most standard size receivers and as good as any normal Hitec or Futaba and better than many JR's. I've used it on 1/4 scale with never a range problem as well as on many small electrics. Yes, it you cut the antenna in half, it will lose some range but will still stay in tune with no glitches.
Well I checked the FMA M5 against the Hitec 555 and the Hitec RCD3500 under identical conditions and found that the M5 was definitely providing just 65% of the range that the Hitec units offered.

I emailed FMA's support just to make sure that I wasn't dealing with a dud receiver and they didn't even do me the courtesy of replying.

On that basis I my summary was that the M5 provides adequate range for most models and the S.M.A.R.T. decoding works as advertised, but that FMA's support sucks (quite an important issue when you're relying on their gear to keep your expensive model safe) and that the other receivers tested offer significantly more headroom in respect to maximum operating range.

Note that I have flown the M5 and it's worked just fine on a small model so I'm not knocking it -- just pointing out that shortening the receiver will further reduce an already lesser range.

Perhaps the unit I received was faulty -- but FMA support don't seem to care enough about that to respond to my queries, and that's a *big* worry.

Suffice to say that on the balance of evidence, I won't by buying another M5.