Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What gives?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 06:33 AM
wossname

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gives?

My setup:

1800mAH 7.2v batt
RS545 5 pole motor
MSonik Tempo-15 (ESC)
Futaba Attack 2ER (el cheapo )

I have just bought the ESC and I'm a bit confused about booting the system up.

I connect the motor to the ESC, the RX battery (the 4 AA cells) to the RX and the ESC to channel 2 on the RX, at this stage the ESC lights upand goes through its bootup sequence. I thought the ESC is supposed to take its power from the main power batt and not the RX one.

But, if I remove the RX battery and add the main batery to the ESC instead then the servo (on channel 1) and the RX begin to respond to the TX! Whats goin on?

Do I need the RX batt now I have an ESC? I'm a newbie and am a bit flummoxed by this.

ALSO: When I connect the battery DIRECTLY across the motor (no propeller attached or anything) then it spins up to very high speed, but when its on the ESC it doesn't get anywhere near as fast, why is this?
Old 03-03-2004, 06:40 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: What gives?

From what I have always understood, you take your RX power from the ESC. No battery is needed for the RX
Old 03-03-2004, 10:14 AM
wossname

Cool! That saves a bit of weight then.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:24 PM
Lynx

It's called a BEC (battery eliminator circuit), they've been building them into ESC's for years now. No ESC is 100% efficient, usually far less so the motor is going to be slower through the ESC than directly connected. Soon as the invent super conductors for RC ESC's I'll let you know <G>