Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

differential thrust

Old 03-08-2004, 12:52 PM
Greenn17h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differential thrust

are there any radios out there that have differential thrust mixing available? I've been thinking about it for a project, but I can't really afford a really nice radio, are there any electronic mixers available for this, or is there an easy way to do it mechanically? Thanks

-WESLEY
Old 03-08-2004, 06:24 PM
wisdom-seeker

Default RE: differential thrust

If you're talking about aileron throw, the answer is yes, there are radios that will do this, but there is also a very easy mechanical solution. Think about the following: Remember that is it easier to aid lift than it is to spoil lift, so you want more up aileron than down. So, if your servo is on the top of the wing, you want the control horn of the aileron to lean towards the front of the wing by about 20 degrees. This is at a 70 degree angle to the aileron instead of a 90 degree angle. This will give you more up throw than down for the same amount of servo travel. It all has to do with getting into the curved part of the control horn throw sooner rather than later.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Lynx

Do you have to mix it? Uou could use two throttles instead, granted it'd be a non-standard control setup but it'd work. It'd be similar to driving a tank.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Greenn17h

No, I mean diferential thrust on a twin. i.e. left rudder causes the left throttle to close a little. I know I've seen mixers for this advertised, I just can't find any now.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Greenn17h

I thought about just having 2 throttles, and if I have to do that, I will, but I'd rather just have it mixed to the rudder stick.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Lynx

Don't think you're going to find that anywhere. Things like that are usually mixed on the radio.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:48 PM
smokingcrater

any v tail mixer should work fine for you. think of it this way. instead of an elevator channel which moves both servos in a vtail, your elevator is now your throttle. instead of rudder, which would move the servos independently, you have, guess what, your rudder! (you would have to run a Y off the rudder, one to your actual rudder...
Old 03-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Greenn17h

Yeah, I thought of that, too, the problem is that at full throttle, one servo will try to push foward, when there is no place to go. I could probably fix this on a computer radio, but if I'm just using one of those V-Tail mixer things I odn't know if I'll be able to do somthing about that
Old 03-09-2004, 03:36 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, any Multiplex Evo, Profi 3030 or Profi 4000 can do it. The question came up recently on rcgroups where someone asked if the Evo could do exactly this on his Wright flyer, if he moved the rudder he wanted the throttle on that side of the plane to reduce slightly.

Harry
Old 03-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Lynx

Grenen17, in that case your only choise other than seriously upgrading your radio, is to use a vtail mixer and mechanically 'rectify' the servo moving in the wrong direction, IE give it something else to do. Rubber bands, springs, on some kind of mechanical setup, whatever. It's not hard to cancle out something that only moves a grand total of 2 inches.