Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

S3010 doesn't work with NiMH? Nope.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:15 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S3010 doesn't work with NiMH? Nope.

Well that sucks. I just found out that Futaba doesn't recommend the S3010 servo with a NiMH battery pack. I just got through putting two S3010's in my FuntanaS elevator and rudder with an 1100MaH NiMH 6 volt battery pack. To take it out and put a NiCd in there is gonna take a lot of screwing around. It's under the fuel tank. I'd have to take the prop and spinner off, take the cowl off, bust out all the balsa in there holding the tank and battery in, and do it all over. Man there's no way I'm gonna maiden this thing as is after hearing that.

Apparently the S3010's draw more current than a NiMH battery pack can source, and I imagine the servo will stall in a high load situation (end of a loop). Oh well I might as well just accept reality and re-do it with a NiCD battery. DARNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess better safe than sorry.

Joe
Old 03-08-2004, 11:41 PM
JoeAirPort

Default RE: S3010 doesn't work with NiMH? Nope.

The S3305's are the same story. Man that sucks. So how many other servos don't work with NiMH battery packs? Man did I open a can of worms here? I'm miffed to have to take apart a plane I so carefully setup. ARGGGGG.

Joe
Old 03-10-2004, 01:24 AM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Try a different manufacture of NiMH's They are not all created equall, some will supply more "current" than others. By the way I didn't know that Futaba made a 3010 or that they discouraged NiMH.?
Old 03-10-2004, 02:41 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Futaba does make a 3010. The instructions for the servo say not to use the servo with NiMh due to current limitations. I think this is more of a general guideline, helpful tip, etc, as opposed to written in stone. A NiMh pack made from quality high discharge cells probably would not be a problem.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:41 AM
JoeAirPort

I'm using an 6 volt 1100MAH Venom battery pack in a Funtana so I'm thinking the extra capacity will be more than enough. I'm not taking the whole nose of the plane apart. I'll just keep my eye on the voltage. And the first few aerobatics I do I'll make sure to do them high to test it out. I'm sure the worst case is pulling out of a fast loop (on the elevator servo).

Joe
Old 03-10-2004, 10:09 AM
huey-pilot
My Feedback: (17)

I am flying my U-Can-Do with an OS 91 FS with Futaba 3010's and 4.8 volt, 1600 mah nimh batterys and haven't had any problems.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Rodney

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The servo won't know the difference between a NiMh and a NiCad PROVIDING the internal resistance of the battery is low enough. Maybe some NiMh have too high an internal resistance (yes they are slightly higher than NiCads) but most modern manufactured NiMh are quite acceptable. More important is to use adequate size wire in your hookup, at least 22 gauge, preferably 20 gauge with good quality switches. The battery capacity has little to do with the internal resistance, you can find some 500 mah batteries with less internal resistance than the 1400 or 1600 mah cells have. It is the manufacturing process of the batteries themselves that determine this.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:28 PM
seanucd2000
My Feedback: (1)

Hmm... I use 3010's on two planes with a NiMh pack that I built out of cells I got at Target for $10 per 4 (1800/2100 mah). I read that too somewhere, but my planes don't seem to care, so neither do I.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:24 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Futaba doesn't sell NiMh packs.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:41 AM
Lynx

What size pack do they recommend you use for a Nicad pack? A Nimh pack will have about the same ability to source current as a Nicad pack about 1/3rd the size (I'm shooting from the hip on that number I don't remember the discharge rates off the top of my head) The higher the capacity of the battery the more current it can source, so if you're worried about Nimh's not being able to supply enough current, just use a higher capacity pack, or run packs in parrallel. They may warn against using Nimh's because standard receiver pack Nimhs are usually only about 700mah's. You can always plug it in and test it, do a dry run and play with it till the batteries die, if you can clip a multi-meter on to the battery to watch to see how far the voltage dips you'll be able to find out if you have any problems.