Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9Z - AFR v Dual Rates

Old 03-14-2004, 06:53 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9Z - AFR v Dual Rates

What is the difference between AFR and dual rates?

Also, if I want 120% throw, is it better to set (ATV to 120% and DR to 100%) or (ATV to 100% and DR to 120%) and why?

Thanks,
Drew
Old 03-14-2004, 08:09 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: 9Z - AFR v Dual Rates

Dual rate is just what it says; a different amount of servo travel for a given condition/switch setting.

AFR is a bit more complex. The quick answer is that it is ATV with something extra; the ability to change the amount of servo movement without affecting the servo's resolution response.

If you set an ATV at 70%, you have just reduced the servo's throw, AND its resolution, by 30%. AFR reduces the throw WITHOUT affecting the resolution. It is a bit more involved than that, but that's the Reader's Digest version...

AFR is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I use it all the time. It can be used in place of dual rates, which is what I do. I have yet to enable the D/R function on my 9Z. The ability to custom tailor each condition, in EVERY regard, is just another feature that makes the 9Z... well, never mind. Don't want to start a urination competition here.

Old 03-14-2004, 08:16 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

As to the second part of your question, it is my understanding that going above 100% on ATV does not have the adverse affect on servo movement that going below 100% does. Not sure about that, but it is the way I have always heard it.

The way I do linkages is to start at 100% ATV and configure the linkage mechanically to get the max throw I'm looking for. One thing that helicopters will teach you is how to set up a linear linkage with no differential, regardless of what type model (fixed or rotatry wing) you're dealing with.

When the linkage is where I want it at max throw, I use AFR to reduce it where I want it at other conditions/flight modes.

Computer radios will make you lazy.

The 9Z will make you downright decadent...

Old 03-14-2004, 11:14 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't set D/R now that I have flight conditions set. Each condition uses AFR to set the control throws on each channel... Flight conditions are great, and once you figure them out mere dual rates will seem so "old fashioned"...
Old 03-14-2004, 11:38 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

There is a wealth of information at Futaba's website, see below.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-9z.html

Use ATV to obtain the maximum throw for all settings and conditions, first! Essentially look at ATV as the master servo travel for all things. Set it and forget it. I like to set may maximum ATV to 130% initially (maximum resolution is desired, 10% is left to fine tune things initially). Mechanically setup the linkage to accommodate 130% ATV. If you’re not looking for max deflection, the same rules apply, simply mechanically setup the linkage to use the 130% ATV to meet your deflection needs. Match all the throws or deflections at this time. Now forget about ATV settings. Use AFR and D/R percentages to move things from now on.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:02 AM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Mike does the resolution (on ATV) go up continually to 140%? I have always been using 140% and mechanically adjusting to fit. I always guessed that I was getting the best resolution and max. travel at 140%. Am I wrong???? I have found out that some micro servos and futaba 148's will not go past about 100%, anything further results in about the last 1/8 of stick travel having no affect on the servo. You stated starting at 130% and using the last 10% for adjusting, are you losing resolution and throw?
Old 03-15-2004, 09:37 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

You’re getting max travel and resolution when set for 140% ATV.

Most servos move in 120 degree arc, 60 degrees either side of center, less Hitec's programmable digitals their good for 180 degrees end to end. Servos that don't move much toward the end of the arc are likely inexpensive sport servos that have electro-mechanical limitations.

Some resolution and travel will be lost with the 130% ATV approach, albeit it's marginal and needed to allow for variables in setup, be it mechanically of the model or inconsistencies in the electronics of the TX and servos in play.