Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Range Check / Output Transistor

Old 03-18-2004, 02:52 AM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range Check / Output Transistor

Anyone know how to range check a tracker II and if you can leave it on without damage to the output transistor with the antenna down ?

Thanks.

Jackjet
Old 03-18-2004, 01:14 PM
Rodney

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Range Check / Output Transistor

I'm not familiar with the tracker but; all transmitters will heat up the output transister if operated with the antenna collapsed (or even partially collapsed). Will damage result, probably if done for an extended period of time. How long is that: depends on the physical design of the transmitter. If the heat sink is very good and large (and well ventillated) this could be for several minutes. If it is poorly designed (low mass and in stagnent air) damage could occur within minutes. In most cases, I doubt if damage will occur if you hold your transmit time below 2 minutes with the antenna collapsed. Such damage is not usually catostrophic but gradual degredation of the power output over time. However, get the transitor hot enough and the failure will be catostrophic.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:21 AM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Range Check / Output Transistor

Rodney,
thanks alot for your reply. I will just limit it to no more than 2mins. max on with the ant. down - that should not heat it up that much.

Jackjet