Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Glitches on 9CAP with 127DF (PPM mode)

Old 03-18-2004, 06:48 PM
SkyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glitches on 9CAP with 127DF (PPM mode)

Greetings,

While my 9CAP awaits for my lazy behind to get my Ultimate done, I decided I'd set it up to fly my Avistar Select. My Avistar has always performed great with the included SkySport radio, but I thought I would get used to programming the 9CAP with it.

My Avistar has the 127DF reciever which was installed already as part of the Select package. It's on Ch 44, same as my 9CAP. I set the 9CAP to PPM mode and set all the correct servo directions, ATLs and expo rates. When in my house, it seemed to work fine.

The first flight seemed to go flawlessy. Nice feel to the 9CAP and I was happy. The second time just before I was going up, I noticed a few twitches on the plane while on the ground. It wasn't terrible, and I attributed it to the fact that I had just fast charged both the 9CAP and rx battery. I waited for a while, and didn't notice any more twitching on the ground, so up she went. It seemed OK, but then I got periodic twitches while in flight. They seemed to happen about every 30-45 seconds. Nothing terrible (but it was obviously glitching) and the twitches only lasted a second or so. I landed safely after only about three-four minutes cause it made me nervous.

I brought out the trusty SkySport and flew the Avistar again. It worked great with absolutley no problems.

This twitchy-ness with the 9CAP in PPM mode now has me worried. Is there something I missed in setting it up? I haven't tried it with other recievers yet, but I'm wondering if I should send it back for tuning service or exchange.

I'm planning to use it on some nice planes (GP Lancair, VectorFlight Edge) in PPM mode and a DP Ultimate 120 in PCM mode, so I want to make sure it's reliable.

Any ideas on what caused the twitching or how to test to make sure this radio is OK?

Thanks much for your help.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Mighty Mouse-RCU
My Feedback: (145)

Default RE: Glitches on 9CAP with 127DF (PPM mode)

Often times it can be metal to metal vibration. Like a lose screw or metal to metal pushrod and connectors. Or anything metal touching losely together.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:02 AM
wyflyer
My Feedback: (7)

I had that same problem. I tried to isolate everything that I could and I couldn't figure it out. The same 127DF reciever worked with my friends radio. (I tried different crystals on my channel too.) I sent the radio in with the receiver that it came with and they fixed it and sent it back. It then worked with the receiver it came with(a 148), but not the 127. I ended up buying a Hitec Super Slim receiver to see if that works. I have been using those in several planes with no problems. They are cheaper, lighter, and smaller than the Futaba. I like them a lot.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:47 PM
SkyDude

Thanks guys. I'll try my 9Cap with the HiTec Supreme rx's I have. That's what I buy for me new planes. The Futaba Rx's I use are the ones which came with a radio, but I'm trying to get those to work with the 9CAP. I want to elimate the need for my two SkySport radios so I can carry two less radios to the field with me.

I should be able to test this week.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Scott Claboe
My Feedback: (9)

I had some glitching using a 8uafs and several futaba 127DFs and 128DFs.With the 149DP.No problems.I have a 9cap now.I don't intend on using any ppm receivers.
Did you use plastic control armsonthe Throttle?
Old 03-23-2004, 02:36 PM
SkyDude

Yes, I'm using a plastic control arm on the throttle servo, which has an easy-connector with a metal 2-56 rod going to the throttle link on the motor. Standard setup from the Avistar Select package.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:37 PM
_WIT_

Using the Skysport transmitter, no glitches.

Using the 9CAP transmitter, glitches.

Doesn't sound like Rx interference...
Old 03-23-2004, 10:02 PM
David_Moen

I have a twitch 9CAP as well. I sent the radio back to Hobby Services in December for a re-tune and check, which they did, resoldering some poor connections while they were at it. I haven't had a chance to fly with it yet, but when I use it on G2, I still get rudder twitches just like I did before (in G2 and "real-life").