Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FMA Extreme 5 Rx "dropout"

Old 03-22-2004, 12:19 PM
artper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMA Extreme 5 Rx "dropout"

I have a wierd problem regarding the FMA extreme 5 receiver. I am attempting to use it in an electric setup. I have a Great Planes C-10 speed control, the extreme 5 Rx, and two Hitec, hs-55 micro servos, and Batteries America 650 mah Lipo, 7.4V power. It is all in a Sig Jenny JN-4 which uses a speed 180 geared and it draws around 2.5 A full speed.

The problem---When you have full throttle as if on takeoff etc, AND then try to feed in up elevator OR left rudder the motor control channel drops out completely.

First I suspected the speed controller, sent it back to Great Planes, they checked it and said it was OK however sent me a new one. Next I suspected the Rx. FMA said that they thought that it was my TX (Hitec Laser 6, new) being tuned too wide. I sent FMA the Tx and Rx. They kept for about a month and returned it telling me that the Tx was tuned 900 cycles off and it should be OK. Well it was just like it was when I sent it to them. Next I sent the Tx and Rx out to Hitec. They checked and retuned the Tx and sent it all back. The problem is still with me. I have sent another E-mail to FMA some two weeks ago telling them of my continueing problem and they haven't responded.

Note of interest, The system works fine with the Hited Rx from the original system, also a Futaba Rx on the same freq AND I have purchased a Hitec Feather Rx that works fine in this setup. It appears that there is something wrong in the FMA Rx decoders or something. I am reluctant to try to use this Rx in ANY of my regular powered planes for fear of it causing a crash.

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS KIND OF PROBLEM BEFORE EITHER WITH THE FMA RX OR ANY OTHER. ART PERRY
Old 03-22-2004, 12:24 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: FMA Extreme 5 Rx "dropout"

You've narrowed it down to the RX. I'd return it and continue to use the Hitec or Futaba unless they offer to replace it and you want to try another. I don't remember hearing bad things about the FMA's. Perhaps you just got a lemon.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:38 PM
artper

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am trying to get FMA's attention but no luck as I stated before. I'm not too concerned that it will not work in the E setup it's just that I have several other wet planes and one of those, a small J-3 Cub with a little Norvel .061 in it, is where I had planned on putting it. Now I don't know.

Art
Old 03-22-2004, 04:30 PM
XJet
Banned

I'm afraid that, for all its good points, the FMA M5 receiver appears to be burdened by poor (or perhaps a total lack of) support from FMA themselves.

After I completed the first part of my receiver-shootout review and found the FMA M5 to provide significantly less (just 65%) range than competing products, I emailed FMA and asked them why this might be and whether it could be that I perhaps had received a sub-standard unit.

I pointed out that I would be publishing the results of my tests here and on my own website (over 250,000 unique visitors per year).

Did they have an adequate explanation?

Hell no -- they didn't even answer or acknowledge my email.

Based on these facts, I know I'll almost certainly be ordering some more Hitec receivers and servos but I don't think I'll be ordering anything else from FMA.

If anyone from FMA reads this post then I invite them to contact me -- better late than never perhaps.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:00 PM
artper

Xjet, Thanks, but it don't sound too good for me and my little receiver. I think that right now is one of their busyist times of the year and will give them the benefit of the doubt, at least for now.

You know Fred Marks designed a lot of the stuff for Ace R/C and their stuff was top drawer. I feel that there just might be a problem with this particular receiver. I'll give them a couple more weeks to respond and then start nudgeing them again.

Thanks again and where's your website? I'll take a look see. Art