Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is PCM worth the extra $50

Old 03-24-2004, 12:12 PM
bbmass
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is PCM worth the extra $50

I don't fly pattern just sport, scale, and 3D. Does it makes sense to get a PCM receiver, or just the radio that will support both, or just figure I'll never need it and get a PPM only radio. thanks
Old 03-24-2004, 01:59 PM
bbmass
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Is PCM worth the extra $50

I apologize for posting this, I should have done a search first.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:25 AM
_WIT_

Bbmass, I see no need to apologize for asking. There are a lot of threads addressing this question, but no straight answers.

It boils down to a matter of opinion, and individual experiences. I run PCM on my gassers these days, simply because of experience with previous engines winding up with interference. I set the failsafe to idle down, and the choke servo to kill the engine. And I feel better about it, whether it actually helps or not. I pay the extra $ for that option.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:30 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

But I can't let this go without offering a differing opinion.

I fly MOSTLY gassers and have never experienced glitching due to the type of RX's I use.
I now fly an EVO12/synth EXCLUSIVELY and am using FM/PPM receivers EXCLUSIVELY and still have absolutely NO problems with any kind of glitching or interference any more than I did when I was using PCM.

PCM is being phased out and will soon be gone because it's only advantage, "failsafe" (if you feel you need it which I never did) is now available with IPD receivers.
You might want to sell your PCM stuff while you can get your money back on it.

Highflight
Old 03-25-2004, 10:57 AM
tadawson

And my $.02 - I honestly think that PCM being phased out is a fantasy concocted by the Multiplex crowd, since there are no signs of any other radio company doing anything BUT PCM. Multiplex may have something with IPD, but from what I can see, it is still non-competitive with PCM on any basis but price. As far as I am concerned, and in my experience, if you can get PCM for only $50.00 - it is an utter no-brainer, DO IT! There are no disadvantages whatsoever, and the common whine that it masks problems I have found to be pure bull. You can still see/feel any issues, but they are more subtle, and you have to be paying attention. IE, instead of screwing itself all over ths sky as in a PCM hit, on PCM, the response will get real sluggish as bad frames are discarded, and control response slows down. Just as noticeable, but you have to know what to be watching for. That, and having the failsafe settings set in the Tx is a huge aid, since if you change receivers, the failsafe settings stay with the aircraft setup, unleke on the IPD stuff, where the failsafe settings are done on the RX, and if you change it, or it somehow gets altered, you find out when you crash, since it is not updated from the TX like with PCM. Also, PCM has been shown to be indisputably more resilient to noise than PPM, so you should get better range, but since most folks do not fly that far out, this is probably irrelevant. This statement is made based on the know and proven engineering details of digital versus analog signal transmission - not my opionon, but known fact.

- Tim
Old 03-25-2004, 11:10 AM
Highflight

Bottom line:
Potato, potahto.

Potato = baseline cost - works great.
Potahto = add $50 - works great.

Highflight
Old 03-25-2004, 11:17 AM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

I personally don't see the value of PCM. The mode of transmission is still the same, FM. The only difference is that a code is transmitted vs the standard pulse width change information. Anything that is going to affect the signal getting into the receiver properly is going to affect it regardless if you are using PCM or PPM coding. In the end though, it just comes down to personal opinion and what you feel comfortable with.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:40 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

It seems that the only people who claim PCM is being phased out are persons that use Multiplex radios. Give it up. I haven't seen JR or Futaba even hint and releasing a PPM/IPD device. Additionally. there is no evidence indicating that JR or Futaba are ditching PCM. All high end Futaba/JR radios still come with PCM receivers. Even the mid range radios come with PCM support. IPD has been around for a very long time... don't see anyone else jumping on the band wagon. OK, Hitec did. But big deal. They bought Multiplex a year ago or so they own IPD and Hitec didn't have a TX/RX based failsafe of any kind. Hitec didn't phase out their PCM... they never had PCM in the first place. Besides, Hitec has been telling everyone for the last year that the ONLY smart cool and popular way to have failsafes is to program their digital servos and any TX/RX based failsafe such as IPD is lame. Futaba is huge... they are the largest RC manufacture. JR is also huge. Hitec is large but they have never been know for making high end equipment nor are they a major innovator. Multiplex is very small, but they make very nice highend equipment. My point, until someone can show a major player, like #1 Futaba and #2 JR are phasing out PCM, such statements are totally unfounded.

There are other ways to get failsafe, but every method has its own advantages and disadvantages. PCMs major disadvantage is that it will only work with the same brand TX. IPD doesn't have this problem, but you must program the FS at the RX, which is a pain and can result in serious accidents. Some servos can be programmed for FS too, but again, same problems as IPD. Forget to reprogram your IPD RX or servo when moving equipment between planes and your FS could now be full throttle... not cool. This inherently can not happen with PCM.

There are more advantages to PCM other than just failsafe which are not matched by IPD or FS servos. PCM uses the same FM carrier as PPM/IPD, but with PCM the encoding is digital. Futaba indicates that PCM RX will range check further than a standard PPM RX. The PCM equipment I have used seems to verify this as I have an increased ability to resolve the signal out of background noise, i.e. much further range checks. The advantage isn't that I can now fly my plane further away, but that the link is less susceptible to mild interference and noise. I'm sure some Multiplex user will challenge that thier TX range checks better than a Futaba... fine, but that is not becasue of IPD. It is becasue of the higher output power of some Multiplex radios. Use a non-multiplex radio with a IPD RX, range checks out about like a standard PPM RX.

The need for failsafe? Why wouldn't you need failsafe? Both encoding systems, PCM & PPM (IPD uses PPM encoding), work perfect under ideal conditions. But in the real world, conditions are rarely ideal. Your on the runway, some pro nut turns on your freq, your plane goes full throttle and turns in to the pits and starts eating planes and people... this would never happen with failsafes.

Is PCM worth an extra $50. For me, yes, but I can't answer that for you. It is a safety feature. You have to weight the extra cost against the cost and likelihood of damage that would be prevented with PCM.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Scott Claboe
My Feedback: (9)

I experienced glitching on my patty. switched to PCM and no problems.The reciever only picks up the (digital type signal)PCM.So any rouge signal is ignored.Unlike (analog type signal)PPM where the receiver will pickup any signal in it's frequncy.

ScottC
Old 03-25-2004, 05:15 PM
XJet
Banned

I'm with Highflight-RCU on this one.

Both PPM and PCM work just fine and dandy.

The smart decoders currently appearing in gear from manufacturers such as Multiplex and FMA add an extra layer of noise rejection and a failsafe capability to PPM which, for all intents and purposes, results in pretty much identical results to PCM.

I think both systems will continue living happily side-by-side for the forseeable future.

The next *big* thing and the greatest leap-forward in interference rejection and reliability will be spread-spectrum RC gear. This will be even bigger than the move from AM to FM in terms of eliminating glitching and interference.

Spread-spectrum techniques are already widely used in some applications and chipsets are available at quite a low cost so it's only a matter of time (and FCC regulations) before we modelers are able to benefit from the advantages that this technology has to offer.

In theory, we could forget all about channels and frequency control. You'd just roll up to the field and fly. A dozen or more flyers could all be in the air at once without worrying about stepping on each others frequencies -- no more being shot down by an idiot in the pits who doesn't check before turning on his transmitter.

And hey, any technology that was invented by a movie star can't be bad :-)
Old 03-25-2004, 09:37 PM
_WIT_

My.02 - as you say, PPM and PCM may be the same - but only UNTIL A PROBLEM HAPPENS!

If the glitch is caused by the ignition system (loose ground, loose cap) PCM can at least shut the engine down. For those of you who haven't yet experienced this - I hope you don't. I have, and it ain't pretty when you've completely lost connection with your aircraft and it develops a mind of it's own.

For me, it's worth the money to at least know that that 22 inch prop is stopping, NOT winding up and looking for some meat to cleave to slow it down.

If and when the technology improves, I'll dump PCM and go to the better stage. But it'll be because I know it's better from something other than advertising hype. I do know for a fact that PCM CAN AND WILL kill the engine when ignition noise interferes with the Rx, and that ain't hype, that's living through the experience with PPM and a ground wire loosened in the air from vibration. Every time the engine fired, the radio got a different signal, and I'll tell you straight that it's a helpless feeling when the pits and the flightline are full, and you have no clue - much less control - of where that fast-moving heavy mass of topped out RPM spinning meat-cleaver is gonna go.

Your choice. I've made mine, and I'll stick with it until I see something better.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:57 PM
XJet
Banned

But PPM with a smart decoder can also offer failsafe with pre-programmed servo positions as well -- and that's the point that people are trying to make.

PPM with smart decoding is very little different to PCM in respect to resistance to interference and coping with total loss of intelligible signal.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

All the radio systems at our site that have done "The headless chicken" ie hit and lost total control have been ppm systems. Isnt it better for it to go to a pre set than going wild.
Plus if you buy a Futaba 6x and up you can switch between Pcm and Ppm so have the best and worst of both worlds.jmo
Old 03-27-2004, 09:51 PM
Highflight

Fine, explain what the "better for it to go to a pre set than going wild" is exactly?

We're not talking horizon guided gyro here where the airplane magically rights itself and lands by itself. We're talking about some kind of preset position for the servos that assume that position at whatever attitude the aircraft is in at time of lost signal.
If the aircraft fails in some kind of non-cruise attitude, then what have you got? Nothing, really ... If you programmed the "usual" idle throttle and neutral servo positions, the aircraft is going in anyway and will be no less made garbage than a non-failsafe aircraft.

I sometimes wonder if some of the guys really understand what failsafe really is?

Highflight

ORIGINAL: andyt

All the radio systems at our site that have done "The headless chicken" ie hit and lost total control have been ppm systems. Isnt it better for it to go to a pre set than going wild.
Plus if you buy a Futaba 6x and up you can switch between Pcm and Ppm so have the best and worst of both worlds.jmo
Old 03-28-2004, 01:22 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Highflight-RCU

Fine, explain what the "better for it to go to a pre set than going wild" is exactly?

We're not talking horizon guided gyro here where the airplane magically rights itself and lands by itself.
Actually, if you use the FMA Co-pilot system in conjunction with some models of their its PPM receiver then this (apart from the landing) is *exactly* what happens when the radio link is lost for whatever reason.

Right now, it seems that the *ultimate* in failsafe is only available in PPM form, not PCM :-)
Old 03-28-2004, 01:25 AM
tadawson

A good set of failsafes put the aircraft into a glide at low throttle, and as such, if the lockout was due to engine or vibration noise, this will cause you to instantly get it back, and you can dead-stick it in. With PPM, you may never get the throttle to come down, and it aircraft will be doing random violent moves, unlike the PCM system. Even if it comes down, the PCM system will be much more predictable and avoidable for those on the ground. Should you choose to use something like the FMA copilot, then you truly CAN setup PCM failsafe to recover pretty much any attitude.

And in any case, PCM signals have inherently better signal to noise ratios and detection capabilities, even when trasmitted via FM. The closest simple example I can give is voice vs. morse code. Both can travel on the same amplitude modulated carrier, but the code signal will still be readable when the voice can't even be recognized as voice, much less understood. It is a lot easier for the receiver to detect a level transition with a checksum, and pure analog data with no error detection, as in PPM.

And, on the PPM failsafes, I can't help but think (as others already have) that having to program the failsafe on the RX is nothing more than a mistake looking for a place to happen if you move gear around and such.

- Tim
Old 03-28-2004, 02:32 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: _WIT_

and I'll tell you straight that it's a helpless feeling when the pits and the flightline are full, and you have no clue - much less control - of where that fast-moving heavy mass of topped out RPM spinning meat-cleaver is gonna go.
WIT, that's a chilling story you told! What was the end result? No inuries I hope!

-Tom
Old 03-28-2004, 08:52 AM
Highflight

Wow, it's getting mighty deep in here so give me a moment to get my boots on.

1. It is infinitessemally rare that an aircraft will go blank in a normal cruise configuration. It is much more likely that you'll be in a turn or doing some sort of manuever. Failsafe will NOT right an aircraft and if you are in a turn or upside down, Failsafe will do nothing to save the aircraft and it will crash into wherever or whomever it's pointed at at the time. I get a real kick out of people dreaming up all sorts of scenarios where PCM will "save the day", but in the real world, those scenarios don't exist and if they could, it's a one in a zillion chance that they would actually happen.
("Yea, like you could be flying and the airplane could be pointed RIGHT AT A GROUP OF CHILDREN and, and, and you could lose radio signal and the PCM Failsafe could take over, and, and, and, like, it could, like, save lot's of lives!. It happened, man, it really happened!")
2. You say that programming Failsafe on a PPM RX is nothing more than a mistake looking for a place to happen. How's that different from PCM Failsafe? In both cases, you're depending on the Receiver to "take over" (yea, right) and "do something". The single best failsafe feature you can program is to cut the throttle. But that still doesn't save the aircraft. And let's make up ANOTHER BOGUS scenario... How about you lose signal, the the throttle cuts and the airplane glides right into a GROUP OF CHILDREN and kills a couple of 'em? When if the throttle had stayed at full, the aircraft WOULD have continued on and crashed on the other side of the runway? (Hey, this making up stuff is FUN!!)
3. The claim that PCM is "better" than PPM FM has been rehashed over and over and people trot out "technical" reasons for it's superiority. But in the real world of flying site management and actual flying experience, no one has yet to point out any difference that can be positively assigned to the mode of transmission (people keep touting their anecdotal "evidence" but there are always other variables that easily account for one mode seeming to be supposedly better than the other).
4. We're back to Potato/Potahto. I've flown LOT'S of PCM stuff; it's all I had for several years. And I've flown LOT'S of PPM stuff; it's all I have now. Potato/Potahto.

Highflight

ORIGINAL: tadawson

A good set of failsafes put the aircraft into a glide at low throttle, and as such, if the lockout was due to engine or vibration noise, this will cause you to instantly get it back, and you can dead-stick it in. With PPM, you may never get the throttle to come down, and it aircraft will be doing random violent moves, unlike the PCM system. Even if it comes down, the PCM system will be much more predictable and avoidable for those on the ground. Should you choose to use something like the FMA copilot, then you truly CAN setup PCM failsafe to recover pretty much any attitude.

And in any case, PCM signals have inherently better signal to noise ratios and detection capabilities, even when trasmitted via FM. The closest simple example I can give is voice vs. morse code. Both can travel on the same amplitude modulated carrier, but the code signal will still be readable when the voice can't even be recognized as voice, much less understood. It is a lot easier for the receiver to detect a level transition with a checksum, and pure analog data with no error detection, as in PPM.

And, on the PPM failsafes, I can't help but think (as others already have) that having to program the failsafe on the RX is nothing more than a mistake looking for a place to happen if you move gear around and such.

- Tim
Old 03-28-2004, 11:55 AM
tadawson

ORIGINAL: Highflight-RCU

Wow, it's getting mighty deep in here so give me a moment to get my boots on.

1. It is infinitessemally rare that an aircraft will go blank in a normal cruise configuration. It is much more likely that you'll be in a turn or doing some sort of manuever. Failsafe will NOT right an aircraft and if you are in a turn or upside down, Failsafe will do nothing to save the aircraft and it will crash into wherever or whomever it's pointed at at the time. I get a real kick out of people dreaming up all sorts of scenarios where PCM will "save the day", but in the real world, those scenarios don't exist and if they could, it's a one in a zillion chance that they would actually happen.
And if the failsafe taking the throttle to idle gives control back, as it freqeuntly does, then????? There is a fantasy going on here that once a lockout occurs, it will never unlock . . . . . which is crap! But during the period the model is in lockout, the failsafes may keep it in the air longer, and WILL keep it from ripping the wings off due to violent, uncontrolled inputs ala PPM.

("Yea, like you could be flying and the airplane could be pointed RIGHT AT A GROUP OF CHILDREN and, and, and you could lose radio signal and the PCM Failsafe could take over, and, and, and, like, it could, like, save lot's of lives!. It happened, man, it really happened!")
Even if it was, but in a glide, it would be going in a CONSTANT path, not thrashing about the sky. Myself, if I have to dodge an incoming, I would rather have some idea where it was going so I would know where NOT to be!

2. You say that programming Failsafe on a PPM RX is nothing more than a mistake looking for a place to happen. How's that different from PCM Failsafe?
Since PCM failsafe is set in the model memory on the TX, you can't move the RX to another model and forget to set it, or hit the button in error and set it wrong. The TX resends the failsafe data at intervals throughout the flight, so if your RX fails, and you buy another, you can't set it wrong, 'cuz you don't set it on the RX! On the TX, either the JR DataSafe or a CamPak on Futaba, the failsafes are backed up as a part of the model memory, so don't get lost in most cases, and if you lost the entire model memory, you are a lot less likely to forget to reset it if you have to reprogram the entire mode. No, neither one of these systems will compensate for the flyer who never bothers to set it at all, but that is a problem between the ears, not a hardware issue.

In both cases, you're depending on the Receiver to "take over" (yea, right) and "do something". The single best failsafe feature you can program is to cut the throttle. But that still doesn't save the aircraft. And let's make up ANOTHER BOGUS scenario... How about you lose signal, the the throttle cuts and the airplane glides right into a GROUP OF CHILDREN and kills a couple of 'em? When if the throttle had stayed at full, the aircraft WOULD have continued on and crashed on the other side of the runway? (Hey, this making up stuff is FUN!!)
Unless you are flying a steel winged lawn dart, the chance for serious injury is a h**l of a lot lower with no engine power, so once again, failsafe wins.

3. The claim that PCM is "better" than PPM FM has been rehashed over and over and people trot out "technical" reasons for it's superiority. But in the real world of flying site management and actual flying experience, no one has yet to point out any difference that can be positively assigned to the mode of transmission (people keep touting their anecdotal "evidence" but there are always other variables that easily account for one mode seeming to be supposedly better than the other).
4. We're back to Potato/Potahto. I've flown LOT'S of PCM stuff; it's all I had for several years. And I've flown LOT'S of PPM stuff; it's all I have now. Potato/Potahto.
A typical argument for an individual who apparently cannot or will not take the time to understand the technology. ****SIGH****
Old 03-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Highflight

Take a poll, and ask around the flying field how many people who fly (PCM) ACTUALLY PROGRAM it? Just for grins today, I asked the several people at my club field who use whatever their chosen brand of PCM is and absolutely NONE of them could care less about programming it. It's just the way the radio came. They "sort of" knew what failsafe was, but they never paid attention to it for themselves.

I like to live in the real world... (sigh)

Highflight
Old 03-28-2004, 04:47 PM
XJet
Banned

Come on, this is an argument which neither side can win.

To all intents and purposes a properly configured , PCM and PPM with failsafe will work identically.

It has to be acknowledged that not all people will bother to set up either system properly, thereby diminishing some of the benefits that failsafe offers.

It also has to be acknowledged that it's really a roll of the dice as to whether a failsafe system will save a model or a life. Yes, for every scenario one side can trot out to prove its point, the other can trot out another to prove theirs.

The reality is that when used and maintained properly, both systems provide a good margin of safety and reduce the chances of a non-pilot-induced crash to very low levels.

Can't we just accept this and stop arguing over shades of grey?

Perhaps we could simply agree that, although it may not always guarantee the best outcome, a system with failsafe (PPM or PCM) is probably better than one without.

Having said that, I'm surprised to see that nobody offers a cheap PIC-based throttle-servo failsafe for those PPM fliers whose receivers have no such biult-in capability. It would be *very* simple to build a little in-lead circuit (like a servo buffer) that would respond to a loss of signal or unexpected pulses by moving the throttle servo to idle or cut until a normal signal was again present.

Who amongst the conventional PPM fliers here would bother spending $10 for such a safety feature?