Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2nd Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 04:31 PM
AbuAnas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Radio?

Hi,

I am planning to buy my second radio. I would like to upgrade to 6 channels or 8 channels, but not the top of scale radio's..

Right now I have a Futaba SkySport 3 ch. with a single Rx (so changing brand is not a big issue here)

What do u suggest for a good 6 or 8 ch mid-range Tx box??

AbuAnas
Old 03-28-2004, 05:50 PM
rjmdubois

Default RE: 2nd Radio?

I would go with Futaba 7C - has all the features that an average user needs at an affordable price.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:56 PM
AbuAnas

Thanks rjmdubois..

Any other inputs?
Old 04-02-2004, 05:46 PM
SkyDude

Yup, the Futaba 7C appears to be the best bang for your buck in 6 or more channel computer radios. I have the 9CAP and I think the programming is the same for the 7C. I was a bit bummed when the 7c came out cause it's cheaper, has pretty much all the functionality of the 9C (just two less channels, a few less memory slots, and a few less characters for plane name) and it's black. That gold housing of the 9C makes it look kinda cheap, IMHO. We all know it's plastic and not real gold - why not just keep it black?

If you think you're going to be in this hobby for more than a few months and have more than one plane, a good computer radio like the 7C will last you for a long time and work for many planes. It's great to have dual rates, expo, adjustable travel length and other features only found on computerized radios.

Rarely will you need more than seven channels, unless you get into serious scale planes, or jets, or wacky RC stuff like mounted cameras with pan&scan control, drop boxes or machine guns and rocket launchers.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:34 PM
mars

I just bought a 7c. It is the 3rd radio I have bought, and the second digi radio.
My frist was the 6xa. This radio was and still is a great radio. When I bought it, it was 250$ as is the 7c. Now its even cheaper.
The 7c is alot nicer then the 6xa, well worth the extra few bucks. I have only owned Futaba radio's for aircraft, so I've stayed loyal.
7c does everthing I need a radio to do, till i have more models then space.. hehe.
If your coming off a 3 channel this should be plenty.
my .02
Old 04-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

For a second radio, I think I'd be looking at 8 or 9 channel products.
I don't fly ANY "wacky" stuff, but I use every channel I have in my 8 channel receivers.
Y-harness splitters are to be avoided if possible because they prevent you from using the features and control you can have by configuring the individual servos from within the transmitter.

Several of my airplanes that have filled all the channel slots use:
Throttle
2 ailerons
2 Flaps
2 Elevator (halves)
1 rudder

That's 8 channels right there without even thinking of retracts.

If you do anything more than beginner type sport aircraft and you get a 7 channel radio, you'll be shopping for a third radio pretty quick which is false economy.
The 9C isn't THAT expensive compared to high end radios and it really is a good value for what you get at that price.

Highflight

ORIGINAL: SkyDude

Rarely will you need more than seven channels, unless you get into serious scale planes, or jets, or wacky RC stuff like mounted cameras with pan&scan control, drop boxes or machine guns and rocket launchers.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:57 PM
AbuAnas

Thanx everybody for your advices
I'll try to get it from the nearest HS..

AbuAnas