Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

An Idea better than PCM Failsafe

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 05:04 PM
FCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Idea better than PCM Failsafe

This is just an idea and don't know whether this is implementable or not someday. How about a separate unit that pugs between the RX and servos, takes the control and make the aircraft level and at a safe altitude when interference encounters. And after the interference lap cleares the controls should be back. This unit should function like the FMA Copilot (Haven't used one, just read about this) but rather in a more advanced manner. Any thoughts...
Old 06-18-2002, 05:30 PM
sirmombo

I think the co-pilot feature should be integrated into the receiver. It should be capable to flying the plane in a circle so it doesn't fly away. Maybe even have a GPS unit in it so it can mark the spot where it was turned on and circle over it if it loses the signal. You could fly your plane out of visual range, turn off your transmitter, and the plane would fly back and start circling overhead. That would be really cool.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:19 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

The circle idea is good, but the GPS is a little far fetched But who knows what the crazy people on this thread will try.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:08 PM
thomasb

There are several hobbyist that are using the GPS method in their FPV and UAV type R/C model planes. Some have set them up so that lost radio contact either returns the model to a waypoint or puts it into a safe flight path (circling is popular).

So, on a technical level, this application is a done deal. On a "consumer" level, the expected sales volumes are so low that it would not support a realistic business plan. As such, it remains an experimentor's area of interest for now.

The RC-CAM forum has a couple of members that are into this stuff. You can get to the forum through a link at www.rc-cam.com
Old 06-18-2002, 08:24 PM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BTA Autopilot

What you are asking for already exists - the BTA Autopilot. It senses barometric pressure to hold a certain altitude and gyros for aileron and rudder. And yes, it plugs in between the receiver and servos. My buddy Larry is an authorized dealer - we have done bunches of demos at meets we attend. Works just fine during the demos, but as I posted on another thread, we had an Ohio Superstar auger in several years ago - with a PCM reciever and BTA onboard. Have clues as to what happened but still not sure. It is something to see a pilot shut a receiver off, put it on the ground and go for a drink - in the middle of his plane doing a lomcevak or inverted flat spin - and recover in a gentle circle at 1/3 throttle at a constant altitude - all by itself.

It is possible the electronics / computer stuff / sensors could be made for a real failsafe system, but development, testing, production, marketing and legal costs would make the unit priced so high no one could afford to buy one. Now some will say that no price is too high for safety. Ok, sounds good, but would you pay $12,000.00 for a failsafe unit for your plane? Oh yeah, someone will also say they can build one cheaper - competition will do that - but be realistic, how much would you be willing to spend for such a unit? Right now you can buy the BTA units for something like $350.00 each, which require a PCM receiver for best functionality. If people were truly willing to pay the $$ for safety, Larry wouldn't have the 10 units or so still sitting in his basement that no one wants to buy - even after the demos we put on.

Dan
Old 06-18-2002, 10:48 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

What about a device that pops open a parachute if interference occurs?

It seems to me these autopilot devices just make the plane fly a "certain way" or "pattern" if it encounters interference. But what good does this do? Aren't you still going to pick up your plane in little pieces when it runs out of gas and falls to the ground?

Sure, if a parachute opened in a wind, your plane would turn into an unhinged kite, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing considering the options.

Mike
Old 06-19-2002, 08:05 AM
Steve Lewin

Originally posted by MHawker
What about a device that pops open a parachute if interference occurs?
http://www.megamodels.co.uk/ Look under Radio Control Equipment. Someone's already done almost everything

Steve
Old 06-19-2002, 02:54 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Very cool!