Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

jr 9x or m.plex evo? need to make a choice

Old 04-01-2004, 08:04 AM
paranoid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jr 9x or m.plex evo? need to make a choice

Well i was just about to order a 9x with 559 dig servos, when the man at the shop said..."hang on a minute, i can do the evo set for $50 more and they're supposed to be better".
I dont know if the "royal bb" servo's or the IPD set up is better or not.
(no disrespect but i've given up on my eclipse 7 qpcm, losing way too many planes,(long story see other post in man. forum)).
Any opinions would be appreciated, still tending toward the jr tho(nice set of 559dig's for my new heli sounds good)
thanks
JA
Old 04-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: jr 9x or m.plex evo? need to make a choice

Most people, including me, have become VERY impressed after they have bought and work with programming and flying with the EVO. I gave up all my Futaba's and now own only my one radio, an EVO12/synth, because it's all I need to do EVERYTHING I want.
Still, there are still those who are brand loyal to Futaba (and Jr, etc.).

Since you seem to know about the Futaba already, all you need to do is to read through the Multiplex Royal EVO thread at the RCGroups.com website and you'll either decide to get a Futaba or an EVO. Your choice.

Highflight
Old 04-01-2004, 03:56 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

I prefer my 9z wcII, although I have heard some good things about the evo. Still does not have the flexablility of the 9z, nothing does.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:10 PM
radray

The Multiplex Profi 4000 has quite a bit more flexibility and functionality than the 9Z! Had both, Futaba was sold.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:21 PM
HarryC

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: RTK
Still does not have the flexablility of the 9z, nothing does.
Sorry to disappoint you but the Multiplex 4000 can walk all over the Futaba 9Z!!
Old 04-01-2004, 04:22 PM
RTK

Does the multiplex have switch and stick assignability? I don't know. But it does NOT have as many conditions per model as per there adds.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:39 PM
radray

Yes, the 4000 has complete stick, and switch assignability (more than the 9Z). It even has a bus inside the radio for 12 controls and 12 switches. It has 5 flight conditions, the same as the Futaba, and 13 point curves. Many more mixes and more sophisticated mixing capabilities (8 per channel x 12 channels + multimix + logical and/or commands). There really is no comparison if you want or need that level of sophistication. Harry can add more technical specifications than I can, I am sure. The software programming logic and flexibility is beyond compare
Old 04-01-2004, 04:49 PM
HarryC

Does the multiplex have switch and stick assignability? I don't know. But it does NOT have as many conditions per model as per there adds.
I suspect you mean the Evo, not the 4000. Yes the Evo has full stick and switch and channel assignability, something the 9Z does not have, I believe it is only channel assignable on channels 5+? Evo can have multiple functions assigned to one stick such as throttle and flap and/or spoiler all assigned to the same stick or slider and switched between the functions as required for glider guiders - I don't know the 9Z that intimately, can it do that? Switches and pushbuttons can have multiple control functions such as flaps and retracts and multiple secondaries such as rates and mixers assigned to the same switch at the same time if that is what you want.

The Evo has 4 flight phases, I am not aware of the adverts claiming more than 4.

Harry
Old 04-01-2004, 05:12 PM
HarryC

ORIGINAL: paranoid
I dont know if the "royal bb" servo's or the IPD set up is better or not.

(nice set of 559dig's for my new heli sounds good)
Royal servos come both as normal and digital versions, check which you are being offered. Digital version have the word "digi" on the label on top of the servo. It's probably the normal versions, I have some they are decent servos, and you can spot the red Multiplex Royal and Jumbo servos on military target drones of most armed forces in the world because they are so reliable.

IPD is no better, no worse than PCM, it is a method of having fully programmable failsafe on PPM. The difference is you program the Rx not the Tx.

I have no knowledge of helis and therefore no first-hand knowledge of how the Evo copes with them, though I have met two heli fliers trading in JR PCM10 for Evo9 because they said it is supposed to be better, and they told me that Vario factory has said goodbye to its JRs and put the entire factory demonstrator fleet on to one Evo12. Apparently Vario make helis? But as I am not a heli flier the name meant nothing to me!

Harry
Old 04-01-2004, 05:44 PM
RTK

9Z has full stick, slider, knob, switch, assignability on all channels like the EVO. 9z has 8-conditions per model (phases) and a memory expansion module. The EVO and 9z sound very similar, But the EVO has 12 channels which is real nice! Mixing etc., is only limited to ones own mind with either it seems to me. Although you can use different expos, d/r, mixes, switches, sticks or anything else on ANY of the 8 flight condition (mode) (phase) what ever you call them. Oh to answer the multiple function per stick, etc. YES.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:04 PM
HarryC

9Z has assignability on all channels like the EVO.
Ah right, it must be the 9C I am thinking of that is channel assignable on channels 5+.

Can the 9Z have multiple functions assigned to one stick, such as throttle and flaps function assigned to one stick for electric gliders?

H
Old 04-01-2004, 06:31 PM
RTK

I have never needed that many functions on one stick, but to my knowledge YES. They also have 3 model types-glider,heli,airplane all supported by just owning 1 transmitter. Thats the one I like. But I really need 10+ channels at this time.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:41 PM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

The EVO beats the 9Z in price also...it is under priced...for now,lol
Old 04-02-2004, 07:14 AM
Highflight

I'll certainly agree that the 9z is one fine radio. In fact, I was "this close" to ordering one with a synth module ($1200+) but thought, what the heck, I'll do a little research on this "new" radio, the Multiplex EVO. I didn't care what I needed to spend, but what I DID know is that I wanted to get down to just one radio for all my aircraft.

Being ignorant at that point, my first impression of the EVO after reading the specs and user comments was that it was (just) a nice radio too and seemed to be in the same class as the 9z. OK, that got my attention since the EVO could be had with a synth module as well.

But what really sold me on the EVO was when I slowly came to understand (through reading user's comments and explanations of various programming examples) how both simple the programming was, and how you can set up such complex mixes through it's "free form" programming philosophy.

Having had my EVO12/synth now for about 6 weeks or so, I am more impressed than I thought I would be with the EVO and the programming philosophy of the Multiplex company. I am so impressed, in fact, that if MPX ever comes out with their next generation Profi4000, and if it can be had with a synth module, I'll sadly put my EVO up for sale the day the new MPX (Profi5000?) arrives.

I've been brand loyal to Futaba for my entire R/C life spanning better than 25 years. But my loyalty changed when I discovered a much better way of doing things. It didn't matter that my EVO cost less than half what the 9z would have cost, I'd still have bought the EVO if the prices were reversed.

Highflight
Old 04-02-2004, 08:44 AM
HarryC

The reason that the Futaba 9Z alone amongst Asian radios has the Multiplex style totally free assigning including channel assigning, is that it is a Multiplex! Futaba licenses the use of Multiplex operating system from a Mpx year 1984 radio to put in the 9Z. It’s 20 years old now, that shows how far ahead Mpx is. So would you like to own an 8+1 channel 20 year old Multiplex software with Futaba hardware, or an bang up to date internet connectable 9 or 12 channel Multiplex system for a much lower price? The Evo can’t quite get to the extremes of programming that the 9Z can do, for instance it can’t alter flight mode dependent upon rudder stick position though it can dependent upon throttle/flap/spoiler stick position, and its flight phases are a bit limited, but it gets very close to the 9Z. Bear in mind the Evo is not even Mpx’s top of the line radio whereas the 9Z is Futaba’s best.

H
Old 04-02-2004, 09:12 AM
paranoid

Thanks for your input to all, seems to be the multiplex is the way to go. I was however refering to the JR 9X chp/cap as a comparison not the Futaba.
I'm not going to be fooled by appearance, i need reliability. The JR radios look better( the evo9 appears like a bad 60's sci-fi nightmare), but who cares what it looks like if my planes and heli's all land without the hand of god(or the kid across the road with his r/c car) taking them off me.
I also like the sound of the optional synth module, but what if it detects a free frequency,then someone turns on the same freq? do i need 10 different keys for the frequency board at the local club?
thanks
JA
Old 04-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Highflight

??? Using any radio with a synth module is not different from any other crystal radio once it's turned on and transmitting. YOU tell the RADIO what frequency you want to transmit on, and then hopefully, you fly at a place where there is a frequency management board in use where you "reserve" that frequency by taking a pin or whatever to show that you are on it. Just like with any crystal radio.

It doesn't matter if you're flying with a crystal or a synth transmitter, if someone else turns on the same frequency, you're toast. The only difference is that, with the synth, you'll always be able to choose an open (unused) frequency whenever you want to fly.

Highflight

I also like the sound of the optional synth module, but what if it detects a free frequency,then someone turns on the same freq? do i need 10 different keys for the frequency board at the local club?
thanks
JA
Old 04-02-2004, 11:07 AM
HarryC

Thanks for your input to all, seems to be the multiplex is the way to go. I was however refering to the JR 9X chp/cap as a comparison not the Futaba.
I think that the problem is both the Evo and JR9X are so new, especially the 9X with its limited geographical distribution, that no-one has had both to compare. It is unlikely that either of those radios would disappoint you.

H
Old 04-02-2004, 11:54 AM
RTK

I believe all the new high end radios will accomplish whatever is needed by the pilot. Some might be easier to navagate, but once learned all will work well.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Highflight

Absolutely. That's why when I'm hungry for meat, it doesn't matter if I choose hamburger or Filet Mignon because they're both meat and will both "work well" for supplying the protein I need.

Highflight

I believe all the new high end radios will accomplish whatever is needed by the pilot. Some might be easier to navagate, but once learned all will work well.