Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

1ST computer radio, XP662, 6XAPS, OR 9CAF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 09:52 AM
sledman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1ST computer radio, XP662, 6XAPS, OR 9CAF?

OK, I need some help here. I currently have 2 Futaba radios, a Skysport 4 and a 6DA. I am going to purchase a new computer radio.
1) The 6XAPS had analog trims, but electronic trim memory. How important is digital trims?
2) The XP662 comes with bushed servos and an FM RX, where the Futabas come with BB servos and a PCM RX. What are the pros and cons here?
3) I currently have a trainer cord, but it will not fit the 9CAF.
4) I will be selling the Skysport 4 with an airplane I am selling, and buying a Hitec flight pack to replace the RX and servos, and using the new transmitter for one of the new planes I am getting.

Any and all advice is appreciated!
I have been flying for a year now, and am pretty good with a 4 Star 60, and have a Tai Ji on the way. Also will be getting into 3D this summer.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:11 PM
b17flyer
My Feedback: (32)

it's a preverence ?, but I 'd go JR.
notice how they always have the new options and then futaba comes out with them?
If your going into learning 3D the Jr has expo and sub trms etc.
I also think that the Jr transmitters still look like radios not plastic boxes.
Jr is easyer to program and there's a saying"futaba pilots always need their manuals to program at the field"

I used to fly Futaba then switched to Jr and never looked back,
but thats is my $.02
Old 05-08-2003, 09:09 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Personally, I'd stick with the Futaba, simply because you already have other Futaba equipment which you plan to keep.

Its easier to keep the spare parts organized if you are only keeping spares for one brand. (servo arms don't nterchange between Futaba and JR... fewer servo models to keep track of parts for... )

I have an OLD Futaba computer radio with BOTH analog and digital trim functions. I prefer the analog trims(which are identical to the non-computer trims), which are a bit easier to manipulate in flight (retrimming elevator for different airspeeds, having the ratcheting trim lever for throttle... You can remember where the lever goes, rather than conting button pushes.) ALSO the analog trm levers are off center when you finish trimming the plane, reminding you to adjust clevices to recenter the servo. ("good engineering practice")
Old 05-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Mikes machines

I have the 9C Futaba. I am very happy with it. Yes I had to read the manual but it is easy to program once you run through it a few times. I was having some pretty serious trouble with interference with a Hitec FM. I have had much better luck with the 9C. I have not tried a JR but the 9C is easier than the Hitec which wasnt that hard to program either. just my two cents worth.
Mike
Old 05-09-2003, 02:13 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Sledman, I would guess your going to get a 50/50 response between Futaba and JR. I have both.
There some Futaba features I like better and some JR features I like better. The only drawback to owning
two brands is the control horn issue that Hubber mentioned. I do however run both kinds of servos with both kinds of radios. I don't think I own a plane with all JR or all Futaba gear. I would suggest the following.
Go to a hobby shop or flying site and handle all three. My JR642 fits my hands better than the rest.
I also think you are mistaken about the servos. The JR's should be ball bearing. Also I would say. Buy one with
exponential. For a 3-D type plane this is a must have option. As far as the radios you mentioned.
I don't like digital trims for the first flight of a new plane. The 9C has triple rates and the other have dual.
The buddy cord issue might seam like a big deal now but how often will you really use it. hope this helps
later daveo