Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Single conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 04:02 AM
desert_rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single conversion?

Simple question.

Is single conversion 4 channel receiver enough to put on my spirit (2M sailplane) or is it suicide.

Also can I use a hitec single conversion crystal with a JR transmitter crystal??

It says that JR crystals are compatible with every radio on market but are they compatible with other crystals of different bands.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:37 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Single conversion?

Please supply more information. We don't know what you are asking.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:57 PM
kwilliby
My Feedback: (13)

It really isn't a matter of Single Conversion vs. Dual Conversion. There are very high quality SC receivers on the market...Berg and JR to name a couple. Some park flyer receivers are SC but don't have as much range. So you wouldn't want to use a receiver designed for park flyers on your glider. For a glider I would suggest a high quality receiver. Berg, JR, Airtronics Hitec and Futaba all make good receivers. I prefer Berg myself but that is just me. I'm sure everyone has their favorites.

Kent.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:29 AM
marked23

Technically, what's the difference between double and single?

-Mark
Old 04-11-2004, 11:36 AM
tadawson

Technically, in the dual conversion there are two sets of mixers and intermediate frequencies (and associated filters) rather than one set in a single. Either can perform equally well if properly designed and built.

- Tim
Old 04-11-2004, 11:48 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

In a single conversion receiver a crystal controlled frequency generator operates 455 KC from the transmitted frequency. A mixer circuit converts the received signal to 455kc by subtracting the generated frequency from the received frequency.
A double conversion receiver has two crystal controlled frequency generators. The first one is 10.7 MHZ from the received frequency. The received signal is thus converted to 10.7 MHZ and then fed to the 455kc converter where it is converted to 455kc.
Double conversion helps suppress the image frequency. If you don't know what the image frequency is don't feel bad. I once had to explain it to an electrical engineer with a masters degree.
If you are curious I reccommend that you do a Google search. Its too much to explain here.